COMPLETE[Children] The Cowardly Lion of Oz - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Nedge wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:12 am I just recorded Chapter 21. Then 22. I was quite satisfied with 22, which I thought was done pretty well.

If I had only turned on the microphone, it would have been perfect.
:shock: Ah well, I've done that too! I chalked it up to experience which "is what most people call their mistakes!" According to Oscar Wilde, anyway.
loon

Post by loon »

Nedge wrote: January 30th, 2019, 6:15 pm Here's Chapter 20 at 18:42:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_20_thompson_128kb.mp3

Nan
Chapter 20 is PL OK, thank you Nan. Our first chapter to get marked as complete in the Magic Window, yay!

(And yes, it is the proper chapter 20.)

Audacity showed me some very low frequency hum at 20 Hz, but I'd have needed much better headphones to hear anything at such a low frequency and it doesn't affect the audibility of the chapter.
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
loon

Post by loon »

Nedge wrote: February 1st, 2019, 6:20 pm Here are 21 and 22.
Tomorrow! Thanks for the chapters.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Nedge wrote: February 1st, 2019, 6:20 pm Here are 21 and 22. Now I want to go back and read the REST of the book! :)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_21_thompson_128kb.mp3 10:00
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_22_thompson_128kb.mp3 7:25
Excellent! I'll just put you down for the other 14 chapters then! ;)

Only kidding, but if you want to keep reading the book backwards just let me know how many chapters you want to claim and I'll mark them off for you. Another 2-3?
loon

Post by loon »

Nedge wrote: February 1st, 2019, 6:20 pm Here are 21 and 22. Now I want to go back and read the REST of the book! :)
Nan - Please be careful with the length of the silence at the ends of chapters. I see around 4.6 to 4.7 seconds after that last word in these chapters - a bit under the 5 (to 10--HAH!) seconds it's supposed to be.

At the start of chapter 21 you don't say "twenty-one" a second time right before the chapter title "OZ Magic Triumphs" - that's not a big deal, I think.

Around 8:22, you read "The Tin Woodman cried a perfect torrent of tears and quite rusted his chain." What? Shouldn't that have been he rusted his chin?? I looked in three versions of the Gutenberg version of the book and they all say 'chain' there, so you're faithfully reproducing the text, which is what we're called upon to do. Still, I suspect a printing error back in 1923.

Anyway --
that's all a roundabout way to say Chapter 21 "Oz Magic Triumphs" - PL OK.
I'll mark the Magic Window and make some COFFEE. A nice cup of COFFEE would go well with chapter 22. I'll be back in a bit.
loon

Post by loon »

At 1:21 I hear "...were fighting simultaneously..." but the text reads "...were fighting tumultuously..."
Can you fix that? The rest of the chapter is perfect.
loon

Post by loon »

Elizabby wrote: January 30th, 2019, 7:38 pm You will notice (if you haven't already) that after Chapter 20 comes Chapter 20 (again). Since we then go to Chapter 22, I'm making an executive decision that the second Chapter 20 for the purposes of clarity will be called Chapter 21! How's that for innovation?! :P

(I think it is actually either a printing or scanning error, in either case we need to correct it or the numbering will be hopelessly confusing!)
By the way, when I was searching for "chin" vs. "chain" in the various Gutenberg versions of the book, I noticed the text-only version has
Chapter 21

Oz Magic Triumphs
so the second chapter 20 may have been a typo when the Gutenberg people made the HTML version.

That HTML version is such a pleasure to look through because it has the great scans of the original artwork (particularly the Cowardly Lion).
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

So provided y'all aren't yankin' my chin, should I go back and fix it to the more plausible "chin"? I will also change the length of the end silence, and the other things.

As for additional chapters, I'd love to, but I have a few other things going on right now (reading wise) so I will let you know. :) I love these books.

Nan
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

loon, just to be clear:

"Chapter [number] of Cowardly Lion of Oz. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Cowardly Lion of Oz, by Ruth Plumly Thompson. [Chapter]"

I think I understood this, based on other books, to mean that after "Ruth Plumly Thompson," I should read the chapter TITLE, not the number. No? Just "Chapter 21," or the number AND the name of the chapter?
loon

Post by loon »

I've heard it both ways. What you did is correct, imho.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

Okay, here are chapters 21 and 22, corrected. I only corrected the time at the end of Chapter 21:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/cowardlylionofoz_21_thompson_128kb.mp3 10:00

Nan
loon

Post by loon »

Wow, you're fast! I'll do a quick spot check.
loon

Post by loon »

Nedge wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 2:16 pm Okay, here are chapters 21 and 22, corrected. I only corrected the time at the end of Chapter 21:

Nan
Both are perfect. Thank you so much.
Idealatm

Post by Idealatm »

Hello everyone, my name is Wesley. I'm new to this but have a passion for reading, even more so, to my children. So when I learned there was a childrens story available, I was eager to assist. I had no idea there was more than the story (movie) 'Wizard of Oz', let alone a series of 17? I am very excited to read the rest of them. I would like to volunteer for as many chapters that are available and/or allowed.

I look forward to working with all of you. Thank you.

Wesley S.