[COMPLETE] The Works Of Robert G. Ingersoll, Vol 10 - LEGAL -pc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

williamjones wrote: January 26th, 2019, 1:37 pm Uploaded
Ingersoll section 38

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_28_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 35:22
The comment in this posting contains a TYPO.
Section 28, not 38 was uploaded.
Section 28 is Ready for PL.

I hope this note will be enough to have the MW suitably updated.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded Ingersoll 29

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_29_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 31:19

I want to make one more pass at Ingersoll 30 before uploading it.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 33 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_33_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 31:12

Thanks for PL'ing when you get time, Bill.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Section 31 is PL OK. Thank you for those excellent edits!

PL Notes Section 32

My general comment, David, is that a great many words (usually to and the) in your readings are dropped or word endings truncated (dropped es, ed, ly, ing), way too many to enumerate here. In some cases the text is still understandable (LV's criteria) but in other cases an omission misses the point being made or renders the phrase unintelligible. Perhaps in future you could read more slowly and deliberately, and use the Tempo effect to speed your file up later. (I use the Tempo effect liberally in my own recordings, so this is not unusual.)

I noticed as I progressed through the file that your pronunciation became clearer with fewer mistakes, as if you had limbered up your performance voice. Something to think about for future recordings.

Also, your files could benefit by a bit of Compression. You have many spikes that go beyond the +1 and -1 lines on the wave form. I use mild compression myself, and my settings are -12, -20, 2:1, bottom two sliders all the way left and nothing checked. It slightly mellows out the sharp sounds. There is also a lot of background noise, plus birds chirping, cars rumbling by, etc. A bit more noise reduction would be good.

Now as to the edits I think important enough to ask for on this file:

:30 "If I had not gone out, the service would have un-doubt-ed-ly failed", this is garbled and at least one word missing, so I can not understand this phrase. Please speak more slowly and include each word.
3:37 Then, there is another suspicious circumstance. Garbled, you should enunciate the syllables thus: an-oth-er sus-pi-cious cir-cum-stance.
3:40 contracts, you say contrasts
5:38 "That is the one subject on which he received any instructions", he is missing
8:45 "Perhaps I had better read (pronounce reed), you say "Perhaps I have better red" -- past tense, makes no sense.
11:13 the noose was around his neck, you say loose.
12:01 a man who was depend-ed upon, you say depend upon
13:02 blown by the wind, you say "blown by win"
14:09 Mr. Dorsey was the arch conspirator, please say "arch" (rhymes with starch), not ark.
14:11 and they ended the witness, you say "they ended weakness"
18:58 Read all I said there. Reed, not red. (present tense, not past)
23:23 "when every fact is as luminous in your mind as the sun at mid-day." (you say numerous, and add a few extraneous words) Please re-record this phrase.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 1st, 2019, 10:24 pm Section 33 has been uploaded.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_33_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 31:12

Thanks for PL'ing when you get time, Bill.
This is just a comment: Ingersoll contributes his own pettifogging to the trial when he fallaciously asserts that the "statute of limitations for an overt act is the 23d day of May, 1879" is a limit on the actual initiation of the conspiracy. The SOL merely puts time limits what acts are CHARGEABLE offenses, but the conspiracy could actually have been entered into earlier than that limit.

Only two very minor divergences did I notice:

Cedarville or that city of [30:07 heard: FRitzalon] Fitzalon;

one-third of the profits on one [30:20 heard: payCHECK] payment to Peck
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Michele, I should have added this comment to my PLnotes on Ingersoll 33:

Your reading is very fluid and the points of emphasis you put within Ingersoll's sentences are spot on. It is a pleasure to hear you spin his tale.

Hearing the judge publicly confirm Ingersoll's arguments, was very satisfying. Bliss says at one point said that Ingersoll will have a lot to apologize for... I would LOVE to hear what Bliss had to say!! Are his speeches available on LV?

Thanks, again, for giving me a role in your project.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

PL Notes Section 26

Hi Bill, sorry this has taken me so long to PL your sections, but I was engaged in completing my own solo before the end of January. That's done now so I'm on this project 'til it's done.

Wow, your reading skills have leaped ahead since you started recording for LV. Improved accuracy, great pacing, better editing, sensitive to Ingersoll's moods, humor, etc. I am blown away! And I have to thank you for stepping up to help me finish this obscure (though illuminating) project.

That said, here are my few PL Notes.

Checker reports volume at 90.9, within range, but 1.4 dB higher than your next file, Section 27 at 89.5. Since you are making changes below, you might consider reducing volume by 1.4 so the two chapters have similar volumes. This helps the listener not have to adjust volume as they move from section to section.

Intro, you say Volume 12, should be 10
1:10 repeat "and says it was dated December 1, 1879. Thereupon, Mr. Merrick corrects him,"
11:23 missing phrase "the oath the proportion was, as nine to twenty-three; that under"
20:10 that they had not authorized their names, you say the names. In this case, it seems important to me.
26:40 "But this is not necessary," you say necessarily. Changes meaning. You might be able to cut out the "il" syllable, without re-recording.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Please check your filename and reload. mp3
msfry

Post by msfry »

Last edited by msfry on February 6th, 2019, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 6:41 pm
Please check your filename and reload. mp3
The file name to which you refer, appears to have a "3" missing from ".mp3" but that is only in my announcement of the upload. The complete and correct file name was uploaded. Only my announcement is incomplete. Is there some reason why I need to reload the same file and re-announce that second upload?? I'll happily do it, if necessary. Lemme know.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

No, I will add the 3.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Uploaded corrected Ingersoll 26

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/rgingersollvol10legal_26_ingersoll_128kb.mp3 35:52

Thank you for your suggestions.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

26 is PL OK. Seamless edits! :thumbs: