Sparkler thread for LV projects

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
RoseByAnotherName

Post by RoseByAnotherName »

I'm going to try this again. I'm sorry if I was exclusive or offensive at all, earlier.

Hi, my name is Rose! I'll be happy to get to know all of you. I'm excited to explore all the opportunities for volunteering here. I've used this site a lot for school reading assignments, and it will be cool to help out other students and listeners. Thank you for being accepting in our learning our way around the site.
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

mightyfelix wrote: January 31st, 2019, 2:18 pm Or we can play good witch/bad witch?
Is there something like a bad witch? :hmm: The ones I knew back in Medieval times only were wise women who had some knowledge about herbs and tried to help. ;) And for this they had to burn at the stake :(
IIparrkerrII wrote: January 31st, 2019, 4:01 pm But also... hello! I'm Parker, really appreciate you letting us have a little corner of your forum.
RoseByAnotherName wrote: January 31st, 2019, 6:55 pm Hi, my name is Rose! I'll be happy to get to know all of you. I'm excited to explore all the opportunities for volunteering here. I've used this site a lot for school reading assignments, and it will be cool to help out other students and listeners. Thank you for being accepting in our learning our way around the site.
Now that sounds way better, welcome here at LibriVox :)

Sorry if I seemed rude, I can see that this might be a bit overwhelming at first. Now settle down, find your ways here and see what you like to do :)
BlueGreenHue

Post by BlueGreenHue »

Is there anything you can do apart from reading/listening? Also is there an easier way to find projects to prooflisten other than scrolling through all the topics on the forum?
ej400

Post by ej400 »

BlueGreenHue wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pm Is there anything you can do apart from reading/listening? Also is there an easier way to find projects to prooflisten other than scrolling through all the topics on the forum?
A much easier way. Projects needing a proolistener have a ~ next to the subject. You can also go to New Projects Launch Pad or Listeners & Editors wanted.

As for reading and prooflistening, the only other thing I can think of is making project covers (like books covers).

Thank you! :D
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

If you go to the Listeners and editors forum, stickied at the top of it are requests for PLers. The number varies, non-English ones tend to be harder to satisfy, they have a smaller population of members. They all have a link to the project itself you can see if it interests you and then ask questions in the project thread
We are all human, sometimes people forget to remove the "ad" when they have a PLer.
All projects have a MW - short for Magic Window and really an active display of information on the database. You can see there if they have a prooflistener - but no one expects newbies to know everything - and the person who answers any questions you ask may well have learned the answer the day before :D

Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

BlueGreenHue wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 4:54 pmIs there anything you can do apart from reading/listening?
ej400 wrote: February 2nd, 2019, 5:10 pmAs for reading and prooflistening, the only other thing I can think of is making project covers (like books covers).
Good editors are always welcome too ... mostly people edit their own recordings, but there are also Plays and Dramatic Recordings that appreciate help (especially towards the end of the project, when everyone is really tired and ready to be done!) Oh, and welcoming and helping newbies, of course! That's always appreciated. :D

Plus some more tangential activities like adding links to Wikipedia book pages (not as straightforward as it sounds, as anyone who's edited Wikipedia will know :roll: ) I reckon there are also some up-and-coming online places we could be connecting with (I am not down with the kids so cannot give examples, but several years ago it was Twitter, Pinterest, Youtube, etc.) We focus less on that kind of thing as a community because our mission is Acoustical Liberation of Public Domain Books, but that doesn't mean stuff doesn't get done 'as well as' by smaller interested teams.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

If you are fluent/native in any language other than English, you could also help with traslating the wiki.
You can also download random finished files from the catalogue, and report any technical problems you find, in the Error Reports subforum.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
BlueGreenHue

Post by BlueGreenHue »

Thank yall
IIparrkerrII

Post by IIparrkerrII »

*sigh* welp, our site just blew up so hello again.... :|
Cori

Post by Cori »

Hello :) though, sorry it's under those circumstances!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!