COMPLETE Human Nature and Conduct - Part 2: The Place of Impulse in Conduct, by John Dewey - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Here is my suggested Summary and set of Keywords:

Part 2 describes Dewey's concept of IMPULSES. They encompass the interaction of one's self with the environment. When the environment encounters problems with one's HABITS, Impulses are the motivating, innate forces which prompt one to modify habits and/or modify the environment. "Nature vs Nurture" explanations of someone's personality are deceptive and fallacious. This stems from the human inclination to CLASSIFY things - practically everything!

Innate behaviors are a collection of habits which one's culture has solidified as Customs. Most education is not learning but rather training of one's habits to harmonize with local customs. Human nature is plastic, malleable. Customs are, almost by definition, rigid. And, because one's environment is always changing, customs and its supporting habits are continually being tested. Nations disintegrate when their customs grow inflexible.

A MORAL ACT is one whose effects are fine tune and reorganize habits. Thought arises then when habits are hindered and only impulses are active.

The basic motor of human nature and conduct is HABIT, not reason or innate instinctive drives. In Dewey's theories of education, he asserts that education should be leading youth away from society's dysfunctional habits. He decries the fact that our economic theories concentrate on OWNERSHIP of things rather than the ways we USE things.

Keywords:
Habits, Impulses, Customs, Human Nature, Classification.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

I've installed your new Summary, Bill, so please give it a final review. I'd also appreciate a shortened summary because this long one won't fit onto the CD case.

Lastly, I can't find the place under the MW where we plug in the keywords. Rapunzelina will have to do that. :)
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Shortened Summary follows.
If it is still too long, please give me some idea on how much more needs to be cut out.
========

Part 2 describes Dewey's concept of IMPULSES. They encompass the interaction of one's self with the environment. When the environment encounters problems with one's HABITS, Impulses are the motivating, innate forces which prompt one to modify habits and/or modify the environment. "Nature vs Nurture" explanations of someone's personality are deceptive and fallacious.

Innate behaviors are a collection of habits which one's culture has solidified as CUSTOMS. Most education is not learning but rather training of one's habits to harmonize with local customs. Human nature is plastic, malleable. Customs are, almost by definition, rigid. And, because one's environment is always changing, customs and supporting habits are continually being tested.

The basic motor of human nature and conduct is HABIT, not Reason. In Dewey's theories of education, he asserts that education should be leading youth away from society's dysfunctional habits. He decries the fact that our economic theories concentrate on OWNERSHIP of things rather than the ways we USE things.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

I am very grateful to you, Michele, for putting up with my casual errors and for your really sharp, professional suggestions.
Without you as the BC, this project would have foundered.
Thank you very, very much! :thumbs:

When I get to the last part of HNAC later in the year, I hope you'll still feel like BC-ing that project.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Thanks Bill. Glad to help you bring this important and influential book into the LV catalog. I second Rapunzelina's comment that your reading makes this very dense material easier to follow. Good job. I'll be glad to help you finish. Just let me know.

Pending addition of the keywords, I think we are ready to go to catalog. :clap:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, I can take care of the keywords! I'll start the cataloguing process and post again when everything is complete for you to review.
msfry

Post by msfry »

re Shortened Summary.
Even in 8 point type this is too long. Needs to be cut down by at least 1/3rd. Doesn't need to explain the concepts, just give an inkling. For instance, how Dewey defines "instinct" would be interesting.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Further shortened Summary below:

Part 2 describes Dewey's concept of IMPULSES which are the interaction of one's SELF with the environment. When HABITS are blocked, Impulses modify habits and/or modify the environment. "Nature vs Nurture" explanations of someone's personality are deceptive and fallacious - they are the two sides of the same coin. he prime mover of conduct is HABIT, not Reason.

Innate behaviors are habits which culture has solidified as CUSTOMS. Customs are rigid. And, because one's environment is always changing, customs and supporting habits are continually being tested. Education should lead youth away from society's dysfunctional habits.
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

A much better fit. Thanks.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Cataloguing is Complete!

Please check and let me know if everything looks as it should!

https://librivox.org/human-nature-and-conduct-part-2-the-place-of-impulse-in-conduct-by-john-dewey/

:clap: :clap:
msfry

Post by msfry »

I will check all out in the morning then upload the cover. It feels like an awesome sleighride we were on that just reached the bottom of the hill. Thanks, Rapulzelina for stepping in, and for prooflistening too. And especially, thanks to you Bill for taking on such a difficult project. Listening, I think I can see why nobody has attempted it before. You have done Dewey proud. :D
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: January 31st, 2019, 7:07 pm I will check all out in the morning then upload the cover. It feels like an awesome sleighride we were on that just reached the bottom of the hill. Thanks, Rapulzelina for stepping in, and for prooflistening too. And especially, thanks to you Bill for taking on such a difficult project. Listening, I think I can see why nobody has attempted it before. You have done Dewey proud. :D
Aw, shucks, ma'am.
'Twern't nothin' :oops:
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison