COMPLETE Human Nature and Conduct - Part 2: The Place of Impulse in Conduct, by John Dewey - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 30th, 2019, 7:17 am A couple of PL notes for Section 3:

At the beginning of the recording 00:20, the first sentences of the text are missing ("Incidentally we have touched upon a most far-reaching problem: The alterability of human nature.")

Around current 09:05, text is "Native human nature", recording has "Human nature", in case you feel it makes a difference and would like to change it.
Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I very much appreciate your efforts in proof listening!
I am not a super-perfectionist, but I *DO* want to be faithful to the source.
Feel free to PL my stuff in "Picky Mode". I welcome it.

I believe this is these are the first two instances in my time with LV in which I have omitted whole phrases.

In the case of the missing word "Native", It is significant and I will insert it. It refers the instinctual processes of newborns before socialization takes place.

Thanks again for taking on this PL-task. While perhaps interesting to John Dewey fans, I believe for others his writing (and/or my reading) might be mind-numbing.
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

HNAC Part 2 - section 3 uploaded with noted errors corrected.
https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_03_dewey_128kb.mp3 41:38
-- Bill Jones

When you think that you have exhausted all possibilities, remember this: you haven't.
--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

HNAC Pat 2 Section 4 uploaded with noted correction - missing sentence!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_04_dewey_128kb.mp3 12:47
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I think that most of the omissions result from over-eager editing :mrgreen:

I don't know about Dewey's writing, but your reading definitely makes it more vivid and interesting!

Sections 3 and 4 are now PL OK!

One PL note for Section 5:
Around 29:53 a short phrase is missing, here in bold "[...] of desire to impress fellows, to obtain prestige, to secure influence, [...]"
msfry

Post by msfry »

Bill, if you check out Part 3, you will see the extended titles are showing, but we have not included them here in Part 2. Would you like me to include them? If so I could get them from the online text. PS. They are not included in Part 1 either.

https://librivox.org/human-nature-and-conduct-an-introduction-to-social-psychology-1922-part-3-by-john-dewey/

I think we could change from Roman Numerals to "1", also, in keeping with the Parts 1 and 3
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Sections 6 and 7 are PL OK!
msfry

Post by msfry »

Also Bill, please review your Summary and send me what you want it to say, in keeping with the other parts, which went like this.

Human Nature And Conduct - Part 1, The Place of Habit in Conduct
John DEWEY (1859 - 1952)
John Dewey, an early 20th Century American philosopher, psychologist, educational theorist saw Social Psychology as much a physical science (with rules and predictive power) as Biology and Chemistry. This project encompasses Part 1 of 4 of his book Human Nature and Conduct.

Dewey's uses the word "HABIT" as a specialized catch-all word to describe how a person and his/her objective environment interact. This interaction is the basis for moral judgement. Dewey writes: "All habits are demands for certain kinds of activity; and they constitute the self.” In other places he also asserts that "Habits are Will." - Summary by William Jones, Soloist

Human Nature and Conduct - Part 3, The Place of Intelligence In Conduct
John DEWEY (1859 - 1952)
John Dewey, an early 20th Century American philosopher, psychologist, educational theorist, saw Social Psychology as much a physical science (with rules and predictive power) as Biology and Chemistry. This project encompasses Part 3 of 4 of his book Human Nature and Conduct. An Introduction to Social Psychology, published in 1922. Dewey's uses the words "HABIT" and "Impulse" as a specialized catch-all words to describe how a person and his/her objective environment interact. This interaction is the basis for moral and ethical judgments. Dewey writes: "All habits are demands for certain kinds of activity; and they constitute the self.” In other places he also asserts that "Habits are Will." In this third part of the book, Dewey describes how we make ethical judgments (Dramatic Rehearsal), the occasions which call upon the exercise of intelligence, and the relationship among aims, goals, means and ends, and emotions. ~ Summary by William Allan Jones, Soloist
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

HNAC Part 2 Section 5 uploaded with noted correction

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_05_dewey_128kb.mp3 35:59
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: January 30th, 2019, 10:13 am Bill, if you check out Part 3, you will see the extended titles are showing, but we have not included them here in Part 2. Would you like me to include them? If so I could get them from the online text. PS. They are not included in Part 1 either.

https://librivox.org/human-nature-and-conduct-an-introduction-to-social-psychology-1922-part-3-by-john-dewey/

I think we could change from Roman Numerals to "1", also, in keeping with the Parts 1 and 3
Thank you for your suggestions.
My lousy memory tells me that before starting Part 1 it was suggested that the extended section titles would be too long to appear properly/completely when an LV browser would be shopping for something to read. I would like to have the full titles shown, if possible.

I also agree that the Roman numerals should be converted.

Thank you, again!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
msfry

Post by msfry »

Okay, Done. Check out the MW to make sure that's what you want.

I confess it was I who dissuaded you from the long titles on Part 1, as they are an abomination on a tiny podcast screen, taking up way too much room. And Dewey does use soooo many words. But that is just my opinion because I use my iPhone exclusively to listen to audiobooks, which has a very small screen compared to a computer.

I wish I could go back and change that for consistency sake, but I don't think catalogued material can be changed.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Section 5 is now PL OK!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

I can change the section titles in part 1, but the change will not take in the downloadable files, only on the catalogue page View.

If you'd still like that, please post here the new Section titles and I can make the change.
msfry

Post by msfry »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 30th, 2019, 12:18 pm I can change the section titles in part 1, but the change will not take in the downloadable files, only on the catalogue page View.

If you'd still like that, please post here the new Section titles and I can make the change.
This will be Bill's call.
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

Rapunzelina wrote: January 30th, 2019, 12:14 pm Section 5 is now PL OK!
Rapunzelina, I am surprised and delighted that someone of your caliber took the time to DPL this project.
And so damned quickly!!! Breathtaking. :clap:

Now, with this project I have recorded the first three of the four parts of HNAC. This Summer I'll do the last part. I hope that you'll consider doing the DPL chores for it, too.

Now I've got to revise the Summary and Key Words and the project will be ready to be put to bed. Michele already has the cover well in hand.

THANKS, AGAIN!
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison
williamjones

Post by williamjones »

msfry wrote: January 30th, 2019, 12:24 pm
Rapunzelina wrote: January 30th, 2019, 12:18 pm I can change the section titles in part 1, but the change will not take in the downloadable files, only on the catalogue page View.

This will be Bill's call.
Let's leave well-enough alone. OK?
-- Bill Jones

--- Thomas Edison