[FULL]World's Story 6: Russia, Austria-Hungary, Balkan States, Turkey - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

The World’s Story Volume VI: Russia, Austria-Hungary, the Balkan States and Turkey by Eva March Tappan (1854 - 1930).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/the-worlds-story-volume-vi-russia-austria-hungary-the-balkan-states-and-turkey-by-eva-march-tappan/
This is the sixth volume of the 15-volume series of <i>The World’s Story: a history of the World in story, song and art</i>, edited by Eva March Tappan. Each book is a compilation of selections from prose literature, poetry and pictures and offers a comprehensive presentation of the world's history, art and culture, from the early times till the beginning of the 20th century. Topics in Part VI include the Russian Empire, the fights for independence in Hungary and the Balkan states and the politics of early Turkey. ( Sonia)

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/worldsstoryhisto06tapp/page/n12
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • For long sections, use the full Librivox disclaimer / For short sections, use the abbreviated LibriVox disclaimer. I will note down the sections which need the full disclaimer in the MW.
    • Full disclaimer: “Section [number] of Russia, Austria-Hungary, the Balkan States and Turkey. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org
      If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      Say:
      “The World’s Story Volume VI: Russia, Austria-Hungary, the Balkan States and Turkey, edited by Eva March Tappan. Section [number]. [Title] by [author]” (as stated in the MW)
    • Short disclaimer: "Section [number] of Russia, Austria-Hungary, the Balkan States and Turkey, read for LibriVox.org by [your name]. [Title] by [author] (as stated in the MW)

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of Section [number] This recording is in the public domain.”
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The World’s Story Volume VI: Russia, Austria-Hungary, the Balkan States and Turkey, edited by Eva March Tappan."
      There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    • AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      worldstory_volume06_###_tappan_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ### is the section number (e.g. worldstory_volume06_001_tappan_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
      Please post below
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

And here we go. The (hopefully eagerly awaited) 6th volume in this series is launched. We are travelling through the Russian Empire to far-out Siberia, fight on the Balkans or in Turkey and learn a lot about culture, history and legends of the eastern parts of Europe.

I hope this short intro was enough to whet your appetites. :9:

As in the previous books, for those of you who are new to the project, some special notes for this project:

1) I would like to have the footnotes included. Just put them after the sentence of the footnote marker, wherever you think it fits well. Say: “Footnote - [read footnote] - End of Footnote”. This is for pure footnotes, not for the editor's intros. Please read those the way they are written in the text.

2) the explanations to the illustrations will again be included. They have their special sections. Please include every detail from the title, including, painter, time, or whatever is written in the book. Basically everything that is written in the MW. And please also include the line "photograph/painting, page xx" at the end of the title.

3) I have noted down in the MW where to read the long LV disclaimer. All sections under 3 pages long can use the short disclaimer. Check the first post on how to read the intros.

For our drama lovers, unfortunately there is only one single play this time, an excerpt from Schiller's Wallenstein. As in the previous books, please say your voice credit this way:

"recording by Sonia as the Narrator, Alan Mapstone as Terzky, Foon as Wallenstein, Tomas Peter as the Anspessade, Eva Davies as the Second Cuirassier, Monika as the Third Cuirassier and Nemo as Butler"

Thanks

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Four readers have given me carte blanche to assign them some sections, so here they are:

April:
33. On the march to Siberia
72. The dog and the wolf
84. The siege of Adrianople
96. Dining with the Sultana

Sandra:
34. A Kirghis warrior
38. The emancipation of the serfs
89. Scanderbeg

Nemo:
20. Borodino
52. A funeral menu of the sixteenth century
57. Wallenstein and the cuirassiers - role of Butler
64. How the French honored Joseph Haydn

Tomas:
16. How St. Petersburg was built
23. Passage of the Beresina
31. Yermak
57. Wallenstein and the cuirassiers - role of the Anspessade
92. The tribute of children

I hope I managed to assign you sections that will appeal to you. :9:

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'll take the following sections, please:

32, 73, 103, 110

Thanks Sonia! (And I plan to get my last section for volume 5 done this weekend. :))
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: January 30th, 2019, 7:42 am I'll take the following sections, please:
32, 73, 103, 110

Thanks Sonia! (And I plan to get my last section for volume 5 done this weekend. :))
first claimant ! thanks Devorah :)

And yes...I hope we get the other project archived soon. Only waiting for 6 readers.

Sonia
Foon

Post by Foon »

Hi Sonia,
Could you assign me any role in the DR? I'll also take some regular sections but I'll need to look through the book a bit more first :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Hello Sonia,
Thank you for the sections you have selected for me. I would like to add the following sections as well 26, 44, 60 & 76 if they are still available. :wink:
April
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Ok, as I grew up near that region, I'll have to take Hohenlinden, section 62 :D

And additionally section 65, Andreas Hofer.
There is only that one play, right? I'll take one of the Cuirassiers then.

:hmm: Kind of a cruelsome edition, this one.
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

May I take sections 8, 14, 27, 45, 56, 77, 78, 81, 95, 97, 99, 107.

And I will take Terzky in Wallenstein.
Last edited by alanmapstone on January 30th, 2019, 11:20 am, edited 6 times in total.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

Your DR might be covered already but if not, can you give me any role in it? :)
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Thanks Sonia!

They all look like a hoot ... I love that funeral dinner one .. Ha! .... and I'll try not to butcher the German in the Haydn piece! :D
Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
SaraHale

Post by SaraHale »

Hello, Sonia.

May I claim section 14, Russia Part III: Peter the Great: Historical note, please?

Edit: I doubled checked and it's already claimed by someone else. I'll check again soon.
Last edited by SaraHale on January 30th, 2019, 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks, SaraHale. :D
Constructive criticism is always welcome. :thumbs:
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

NemoR wrote: January 30th, 2019, 10:12 am and I'll try not to butcher the German in the Haydn piece!
You can always ask us ;)
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hi,
May I try for 44, 81, 108. They are very small so I think I should be able to fit them in! :D
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Signing up soon. Jim :thumbs: