COMPLETE[PLAY]Every Man Out of His Humour by Jonson - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lymiewithpurpose

Post by lymiewithpurpose »

I could try my hand at the stage directions - may read more than I need to but I'll do my best!
Campbell
pronouns: they/them
svonb002

Post by svonb002 »

Hello. May I claim the role of the Hind?
~ Stefan V.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: January 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm I could try my hand at the stage directions - may read more than I need to but I'll do my best!
thank you, Campbell. More is often better than not enough, parts may get cut by the editor, but it's good to have them from the start to have more options.

Have you never done stage directions ? Basically you read everything that is not done by any actors, so:

1) the LV intro and outro (you see the wording in the first post)
2) the cast of characters, in case some readers forget to record their full description and we need to include the narrator's voice then
3) Acts, Scenes when they appear in the text
4) qualifiers and instructions like "sighs", "sits down", "with a smiling face", etc
5) careful: if the qualifier is at the start of someone's speech, you need to include the name of the character, if it's in the middle of the speech, you don't say the character name
example:
Boy (sitting down): I need some rest. (jumping up) But I don't have time! (exits, hurriedly)
here you would have to record:
"Boy, sitting down" / 2 seconds pause / "jumping up" / 2 seconds pause / "exits, hurriedly" / 2 seconds pause / ...and on to the next part

Also include your voice credit as: "Stage directions, read by Campbell..."

In case you want to start immediately, please start with Acts 2-5. Todd hasn't made a final decision on how much to include in the first act intro and cast of characters or whether the prologue is a separate file. Let's wait for his decision before doing that. But Acts 2-5 should be fairly straightforward.

Thanks ! And if there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. Maybe it would be best if you uploaded one finished Act before recording the rest, that way I can give you feedback and we'll find out if you missed anything important, so those errors wouldn't happen in the next acts. :)

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

svonb002 wrote: January 28th, 2019, 9:10 pm Hello. May I claim the role of the Hind?
thank you, Stefan ! I'll sign you up. :)

Just for info: since there are so many small roles in this play, you can claim parts in the other acts as well, as long as it's not two characters in the same act. (changing voice characterization is of course a bonus in that case ;) )

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 29th, 2019, 12:48 am
lymiewithpurpose wrote: January 28th, 2019, 8:05 pm I could try my hand at the stage directions - may read more than I need to but I'll do my best!
In case you want to start immediately, please start with Acts 2-5. Todd hasn't made a final decision on how much to include in the first act intro and cast of characters or whether the prologue is a separate file. Let's wait for his decision before doing that. But Acts 2-5 should be fairly straightforward.

Thanks ! And if there are any questions still, don't hesitate to ask. Maybe it would be best if you uploaded one finished Act before recording the rest, that way I can give you feedback and we'll find out if you missed anything important, so those errors wouldn't happen in the next acts. :)

Sonia
For Act 1, please ignore the long (but interesting) Introduction in the Gutenberg file, and start reading with the "TO THE NOBLEST NURSERIES OF HUMANITY AND LIBERTY IN THE KINGDOM THE INNS OF COURT". Don't use that version of the Dramatis Personae but instead use the longer MW list of people (don't worry about the order) so we get all the players - and make sure you add credit for yourself. And then please do read the character descriptions - they are amusing and set the stage well for what is to come....

I hope to have just one file for this stuff and the prologue and also Act 1. I may need to ask you to record an intro/outro for a Prologue file if things get too long. In fact, best to just add those to the beginning of your Act 1 file in case I do need them.

Thanks, Todd
Foon

Post by Foon »

Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
lymiewithpurpose

Took your advice Sonia and only recorded one to start so I can get feedback. Here it is! Would you mind letting me know if I have that weird volume inconsistency again? I can catch it in other people but can never catch anything on my own recordings :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/outofhumour_stagedirections_2_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:57 minutes.
Campbell
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: January 29th, 2019, 12:07 pm Took your advice Sonia and only recorded one to start so I can get feedback. Here it is! Would you mind letting me know if I have that weird volume inconsistency again? I can catch it in other people but can never catch anything on my own recordings :lol:

Recording time: 4:57 minutes.
I'll check it now, stay tuned !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: January 29th, 2019, 12:07 pm Would you mind letting me know if I have that weird volume inconsistency again?
no I didn't hear any inconsistency here, but the sentences were too far apart for that probably. One hears it better if it happens inside the same speech.

Anyway, you did a great job. The script is really difficult to figure out. I actually have a few corrections to note down, and I'm sorry I didn't warn you of this, because I completely forgot about it. In such old scripts it very often happens, that the stage directions come after the sentence they refer to, most often with "aside". So you need to check what has been said as aside and if it is the first sentence, then we need to include the name of the character as well. :? Sorry, this happened a few times here. Now I am glad you waited with recording, so for the next act, you'll know ;)

No need to redo it all, I noted down the time stamps, and you can simply do a copy/paste job from parts where you already said that name, that's fairly easy done.

Here are all the time-stamps for corrections:

> at 2:40: Fungoso, aside. I marle what it might stand him in.

> at 2:43: Fungoso, aside. 'Fore me, it's an excellent suit, and as neatly becomes him.

> at 2:50: Fungoso, aside. The gilt spur and all! Would I were hang'd, but 'tis exceeding - here I'm actually not sure whether he says the first sentence aside as well. Better include the name, and we'll think about it later on (or rather, I let Todd think about it, maybe he can make sense of it :lol: )

> at 3:12: Sordido, aside. I wonder it rains not: the almanack says, we should have a store of rain to-day.

> at about 3:40: missing line: RE-ENTER FIDO, WITH MORE PERFUMES AND FLOWERS.

> at about 3:44: missing line: Macilente, aside. Out on thee, dotard!

> at 3:49: Macilente, aside: O, how she tempts my heart-strings

> at 4:00: Macilente, aside: I fain would know of heaven now

> at 4:03: Fallace, gives him money

that's all. Probably best to start with the LAST sentence, that way the time stamps stay the same ;)

thank you, and don't worry that it looks like a lot. Apart from TWO lines that you really missed, the rest was all due to this tricky aside position. You did a really good job :)

Sonia
lymiewithpurpose

Fascinating! Had no idea! I love learning new things! I am also glad I waited! Saw your recommendation about editing from the end back after editing, that's smart! I went through at the beginning and generated noise to see where I should edit, yours is less time consuming!

Recording time: 5:18 minutes
Campbell
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

lymiewithpurpose wrote: January 29th, 2019, 2:15 pmSaw your recommendation about editing from the end back after editing, that's smart! I went through at the beginning and generated noise to see where I should edit, yours is less time consuming!
yes I learnt that the hard way once. When there are many PL notes, the time stamps will considerably change if you start at the beginning and then you need to search for the right spots :lol: If you start at the back you won't have that problem.

Everything in now :thumbs: just one tiny snag still:

> at 3:40: you can cut "re-enter Fido with more perfumes and flowers" as it's not the correct spot, you repeat it later at the correct spot. You must have pasted it at the wrong spot by mistake.

Thanks

Sonia
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

Hi
I would be happy to read SORDIDO

thanks
pistol pete, CC
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.