[COMPLETE]World's Story 5: Italy, France, Spain, Portugal - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: January 28th, 2019, 1:18 pm Never knew the head of Christ was unfinished, or are we talking about another Last Supper here ? :hmm:
I'm not certain, of course, but I think it is indeed THE Last Supper he means. I think I've heard this before, too.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: January 28th, 2019, 1:19 pm I'm not certain, of course, but I think it is indeed THE Last Supper he means. I think I've heard this before, too.
hmm but if it is....to me Christ's head looks finished...so: did someone else finish it since Leonardo apparently couldn't/wouldn't ? Or did he change his mind later on and finished it ?

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I found this, from a very interesting 1985 NY Times article, about the restoration that was then underway. Apparently, due to the method by which the painting was made, and some structural problems of the wall itself, the painting has been damaged and restored time and time again, and not every restoration has been successful. Some seem to have done more harm than good.
Despite Vasari's claim that, indeed, ''he left the head of Christ unfinished, feeling he could not give it the celestial divinity which it demanded,'' Leonardo did finish it, as attested to by extant writings of praise from early observers and by copies that were made of the mural immediately following its completion.

One finds traces of his struggle in his notebooks -for example, a memo about Alessandro Carissimi da Parma ''for the hand of Christ.'' Another note suggests he had finally found a model: ''Christ. Count Giovanni, the one with the Cardinal of Mortaro.''

Leonardo's final solution can be approximated by comparing early copies of the figure of Jesus before the mural began to deteriorate and suffer from overpainting. Prof. Carlo Bertelli, a leading Italian Leonardo scholar, has found the result is very close to a drawing of a head of Christ in Milan's Brera art gallery, attributed to Leonardo or one of his followers.
Here is the whole article: https://www.nytimes.com/1985/10/13/magazine/saving-the-last-supper.html
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: January 28th, 2019, 1:35 pm I found this, from a very interesting 1985 NY Times article, about the restoration that was then underway.
Despite Vasari's claim that, indeed, ''he left the head of Christ unfinished, feeling he could not give it the celestial divinity which it demanded,'' Leonardo did finish it, as attested to by extant writings of praise from early observers and by copies that were made of the mural immediately following its completion.
how interesting !!! and he even mentioned our Vasari text :lol: so now we know, Leonard put his scruples aside and gave Christ the head of an Italian nobleman :mrgreen:

Thanks for this great find, Devorah !

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 29th, 2019, 5:48 pm Sorry for the delay in posting these. :oops: I enjoyed reading them very much and can't wait for the next volume!
thank you for these wonderfully read sections, Tomas. And I'm super happy that you liked my choice. I especially liked the story about Giotto and my compliments to your perfect Italian pronunciations :thumbs: Gotta love ballads as well of course, I mean, who doesn't ?

Flawlessly narrated, all 4 sections PL ok

With this great boost of the MW, we are down to 9 sections which still need to be recorded. So I think it is high time to prepare the next project, which I hope will be eagerly awaited by you all already :lol: Stay tuned. I try to open it today still, but the MW is a lot of work, so it will take a bit of time still.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Voilà, World Story 6 is launched:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=73622

8-)

Sonia
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'm sorry to do this, Sonia, and I think it's a first for me. But I'm going to give up my last remaining claim for this book. I've really been picking up more than is good for me lately, and this one is just a bit more involved than I want to do right now.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: January 30th, 2019, 11:02 pm I'm sorry to do this, Sonia, and I think it's a first for me. But I'm going to give up my last remaining claim for this book. I've really been picking up more than is good for me lately, and this one is just a bit more involved than I want to do right now.
awww sorry to hear, Devorah, but that's ok. I have a bit of free recording time tonight, so I think I will claim it for myself.

Thanks for telling me immediately.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Section 86 - Waterloo - time 2:48

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_086_tappan_128kb.mp3

Thought I should finish this one first.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:38 am Section 86 - Waterloo - time 2:48
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_086_tappan_128kb.mp3
Thought I should finish this one first.
thank you, Alan :9: this is your final PL ok job for this project. And did I understand this correctly, Napoleon was fleeing from the battlefield leaving his army to the slaughter ? No wonder they sent him to St Helena after that ;)

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Kitty wrote: January 31st, 2019, 5:34 am
alanmapstone wrote: January 31st, 2019, 3:38 am Section 86 - Waterloo
And did I understand this correctly, Napoleon was fleeing from the battlefield leaving his army to the slaughter ?
Is that not what all defeated Generals do?
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 31st, 2019, 9:15 amIs that not what all defeated Generals do?
probably yes :|

Jim, here is section 75 up for PL, whenever you have time. This was a very sad story. I had to swallow hard a few times to keep my voice under control. One of the creepiest literary invention of all times was surely these knitting women, sitting in the front row and counting heads. :help:

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_075_tappan_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 12:20 min.

Sonia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

I am in the Virginia Tech University library where my wife works and my sons went to college and I am done with my retirement job taking care of the aged and infirm and I realized that I had time to listen to your wonderful rendition of Dickens's portrayal of the evil of the guillotine. So sad. Your rendering is PL Ok, madame! Jim :clap:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

neecheelok70 wrote: January 31st, 2019, 12:48 pm I am in the Virginia Tech University library where my wife works and my sons went to college and I am done with my retirement job taking care of the aged and infirm and I realized that I had time to listen to your wonderful rendition of Dickens's portrayal of the evil of the guillotine. So sad. Your rendering is PL Ok, madame! Jim :clap:
that was fast :shock: thank you, Jim ! or should I say: merci, monsieur :)

Sonia