COMPLETE [Play] The Gondoliers by W.S. Gilbert - annise

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Here's act 1 gianetta re-uploaded. I've included everything now, hopefully!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/gondoliers_gianetta_1.mp3
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

I’ll claim Marco.

Thanks!
Josh Kibbey
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Excellent! Please also read all the men's chorus and All lines.

Just a reminder, don't say "et cetera" please give me a whole repeat of the lines as you would if you were singing. (Don't sing.)
KIBBONAFIDE

Post by KIBBONAFIDE »

That makes enough sense...thanks!
Josh Kibbey
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

Hi
I would be happy to read Luiz
thanks
pistol pete, CC
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! Just so you know, Luiz is actually the smallest part in this play because he doesn't appear in any of the group scenes and only right at the end of Act 2.
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

As you may know, giving a lot of PL notes takes a lot longer than simply giving something the "OK", as I usually try to give all the time stamps where changes are needed.

These files are actually really tricky to PL, as the lines are all edited out of order. I realise that the formatting of the libretto is not easy, but when you put in your lines in a different order from the book, it makes the PLing difficult. I don't know how the editor will manage - I may have to do it myself as I don't know that someone who doesn't know the play backwards and forwards is going to manage at all.

Also, there appears to be a problem with your editing software (I presume) as the first syllable seems to be cut off quite often.

I think Act 2 is close enough - sometime the chorus repeats, so with a bit of cut and pasting I think we can manage. I'm prepared to mark it "OK" but I'm afraid Act 1 is going to require some correction. I'll need to go through it again to find the times, and I'm working today so it will have to wait until the weekend, I think.
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Hello Beth,

I can help with editing.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

bhavya wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:53 pm Hello Beth,

I can help with editing.
Thanks for the offer, but this is going to be a massive and difficult editing job, and I think you've only recently started doing editing? Unless you are very familiar with the libretto already this is not going to be suitable for a new editor. Each Act will involve about 15 voices and be around an hour when fully edited together. There will also be tempo differences which will need smoothing out. As far as editing difficulty goes, this project should be marked "Advanced"!
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

Elizabby wrote: March 5th, 2019, 5:16 am
bhavya wrote: March 4th, 2019, 10:53 pm Hello Beth,

I can help with editing.
Thanks for the offer, but this is going to be a massive and difficult editing job, and I think you've only recently started doing editing? Unless you are very familiar with the libretto already this is not going to be suitable for a new editor. Each Act will involve about 15 voices and be around an hour when fully edited together. There will also be tempo differences which will need smoothing out. As far as editing difficulty goes, this project should be marked "Advanced"!
Sounds tough...I'll wait for some more experience before diving headlong into a huge project :lol: Thanks for letting me know Beth! :lol:
pmstrahm

Post by pmstrahm »

I am sorry
I signed up for Luiz
I am to busy to finish it
thanks.
pistol pete, CC
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Saw this on the March to Finish list.
I'd be glad to take Luiz, not such a big role.

I might be up for some editing.
But, I've only done a few one-act plays which were fairly simple, so I'm not quite up to the advanced stage.
~ Larry
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Perhaps start with Luiz and see how you go. He's a small part and only appears in one duet and one group song (read as poetry please, don't sing).

There are two major issues with editing this work:
1) it's poetry with multiple voices, so the timing can be tricky to keep the words clear
2) the libretto is terribly formatted which makes it hard to follow. It's easy if you know what the play sounds like but if you've never heard it before it probably won't make a lot of sense.