COMPLETE [GROUP] The Doves' Nest and Other Stories - Katherine Mansfield - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

RobMarland wrote: January 17th, 2019, 1:17 pm
I will set aside the chapter for you. You can read it once you get confirmation on your test. Also, as you may have seen me ask of other new volunteers, please let me know what you want your name to be in the Librivox catalogue.
I've got my test up now. viewtopic.php?f=21&t=73515

Can I have different names in the catalogue for different projects? I'm thinking I might like to use my real name for recordings in English, and my pseudonym for any projects in a foreign language. If that's not a good idea, then I'll just plan on using Ariphron throughout.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Ariphron wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 10:21 am Can I have different names in the catalogue for different projects? I'm thinking I might like to use my real name for recordings in English, and my pseudonym for any projects in a foreign language. If that's not a good idea, then I'll just plan on using Ariphron throughout.
As far as I am aware, that’s not possible because your forum name and catalogue name are paired in the system. Technically, you could make a different account in the forum and have different catalogue names for each, but I have no idea if this is frowned upon. I imagine it could make things a bit complicated. I’ll put you in the system as Ariphron in both places once your test is confirmed OK.
Rob Marland reader section | website
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

Hi Kitty!
Here is section 17 ready for review.
Thanks!
Sia

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_17_mansfield_128kb.mp3
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Bhavya
Thanks for the fixes. Section 20 is now PL OK.

Sia
Thanks. Sections 17 and 18 are PL OK.

Sonia
Thanks for the PL. Yes, these stories are weird as heck. But I really like not knowing how they're supposed to end. Maybe Mansfield never knew either. :hmm:
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

Here's "A Cup of Tea" (section 3). I checked the volume in Checker; it should be 92dB. Still perplexed by the enormous difference in volume in GarageBand, but I think I've learned enough to fix it and check it. Let me know how I did.

Thanks so much for your patience!

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_03_mansfield_128kb.mp3
“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”
--Jane Austen
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

malkadavis wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 4:41 pm Here's "A Cup of Tea" (section 3). I checked the volume in Checker; it should be 92dB. Still perplexed by the enormous difference in volume in GarageBand, but I think I've learned enough to fix it and check it. Let me know how I did.

Hi Malka. Great reading. It would be PL OK except that there’s about 1min of silence at the end. Could you cut it down to 5secs and reupload? You may already know this, but I point it out because you’re just starting: you should make your edits on the original file if you have it because mp3s degrade slightly every time you open, make an edit, and re-save.

I think the encounter in this story would have probably gone pear-shaped even if Philip hadn’t shown up and stuck his oar in...
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

RobMarland wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 5:56 pm
malkadavis wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 4:41 pm Here's "A Cup of Tea" (section 3). I checked the volume in Checker; it should be 92dB. Still perplexed by the enormous difference in volume in GarageBand, but I think I've learned enough to fix it and check it. Let me know how I did.

Hi Malka. Great reading. It would be PL OK except that there’s about 1min of silence at the end. Could you cut it down to 5secs and reupload? You may already know this, but I point it out because you’re just starting: you should make your edits on the original file if you have it because mp3s degrade slightly every time you open, make an edit, and re-save.

I think the encounter in this story would have probably gone pear-shaped even if Philip hadn’t shown up and stuck his oar in...
Thanks, Rob! I will do my best to trim the end.
“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”
--Jane Austen
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

RobMarland wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 1:03 pm Bhavya
Thanks for the fixes. Section 20 is now PL OK.

Sia
Thanks. Sections 17 and 18 are PL OK.

Sonia
Thanks for the PL. Yes, these stories are weird as heck. But I really like not knowing how they're supposed to end. Maybe Mansfield never knew either. :hmm:
Thanks for listening. Any other feedback? It's only my second project and I'm pretty much winging it. Am I overselling it or boring?
lol. I'm glad you thought they were weird, too. :lol: Most of the stuff I edited out of my chapters was, "wait... huh? Yup. I read it right." and "uh...ok...." and "oh. That's it???" lol. Loved it all though! Mansfield invented the plot twist! or maybe the plot skip around? lol
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

SiaBoBia wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 8:19 pm Thanks for listening. Any other feedback?
Hi Sia,

As you may have read in the guidelines for new volunteers, we don't offer unsolicited feedback because it can sometimes discourage people. But since you asked I am happy to do so. I'll do it by private message.
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

Here is my revised recording for Section 3. "A Cup of Tea"

--Jane Austen
Sunbeard

Post by Sunbeard »

Section 1 complete. It's been a while since I've done recordings so let me know if I need more information or need to change anything.

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_01_mansfield_128kb.mp3 17.25

Kindest Regards,
Sunbeard
Ariphron

Post by Ariphron »

RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, everyone!

Sunbeard

There are just a few things that need fixing. I only ask for fixes to errors that obscure the meaning.

7:00, middle page 30. "gaolbird" the old-fashioned spelling of jailbird.
7:55, top page 31. I hear "chopped hair" instead of "cropped hair".
10:05, toward bottom of page 32. "The one question was..." "One" is missing.
14:50, toward bottom of page 36. "'There it is', said Kezia." The "Said Kezia" is missing.

And the noise level is quite loud. Can you see if you can reduce that without making it sound too tinny?

Malka

The file now has the 5 seconds at the end, but the 'silence' was really quite noisy and poppy. Because this might be a surprise for the listener, I have taken the liberty of adding new silence myself (I copied and pasted silence from earlier in your reading, so it would sound consistent). In the future, it will of course be easier if you leave the microphone recording for around 10 seconds after you have finished a section. The file was back to being stereo again, too. I fixed that and re-uploaded. PL OK!

Ariphron

PL OK!
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

Thanks for your help with my revised recording, Rob. I don't honestly know how or why it got shifted back to stereo after I used MP3gain. Or how my recording of silence ended up poppy. I think I'll take Sonia's advice and stick to really short poetry!
--Jane Austen