COMPLETE[PLAY] The Vampire; or, the Bride of the Isles by J.R. Planche - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

everything wonderfully edited out, and kudos for the Alan's laugh that you so skillfully mingled with Tomas' story :thumbs: that sounds really lively

PL ok now

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Kitty wrote: January 26th, 2019, 8:29 am And in fact, it's Leanne singing, and she is standing on the shore, not in the boat, so she isn't approaching at all. In retrospect, the text of the song would have been more suited to be sung by the people IN the boat. :?
Actually, I sang the Boat Song. (Unless there's more than one?) The stage directions did specify there that the song should gradually grow louder as the boat approaches. I guess the key is figuring out how soft to begin and how much to increase, in order to really get the effect right.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: January 26th, 2019, 12:47 pmActually, I sang the Boat Song. (Unless there's more than one?) The stage directions did specify there that the song should gradually grow louder as the boat approaches. I guess the key is figuring out how soft to begin and how much to increase, in order to really get the effect right.
:oops: I'm sorry Devorah ! Leanne sang the song right after you, I was mistaken.

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

And now we're finished with Act II! The ending of this play is almost comically abrupt. :-)

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_02_planche_128kb.mp3 [27:39]
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 26th, 2019, 3:33 pmAnd now we're finished with Act II! The ending of this play is almost comically abrupt. :-)
haha indeed, Ruthven vanishes quite quickly. A happy ending for all except the vampire. Wonderfully assembled, all of it, and the voices all sound perfect for their respective roles.

Special kudos for the eerie voice effect on Ruthven's voice in the water. :thumbs: What did you apply there, if I may ask ? It sounds wonderfully creepy.

I have a few notes here, especially concerning the song:

> at 2:59: the duet needs to be included here. Or did you leave that out on purpose ? :( I thought the duet was so great and would really sound good here

> at 3:24: missing: "enter Andrew in the boat" - edit: I see you put it a bit later, probably fine too. You wanted the stanza to finish, I'm assuming

> at 4:10: another duet should be in here, instead you have only Leanne repeating the last line twice, which is not in the script

> at 12:36: "Lady Margaret right", can be cut

Thanks. Now only waiting for Unda !!!! and then this play is archived.

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 27th, 2019, 5:38 am
ChuckW wrote: January 26th, 2019, 3:33 pmAnd now we're finished with Act II! The ending of this play is almost comically abrupt. :-)
haha indeed, Ruthven vanishes quite quickly. A happy ending for all except the vampire. Wonderfully assembled, all of it, and the voices all sound perfect for their respective roles.

Special kudos for the eerie voice effect on Ruthven's voice in the water. :thumbs: What did you apply there, if I may ask ? It sounds wonderfully creepy.

I have a few notes here, especially concerning the song:

> at 2:59: the duet needs to be included here. Or did you leave that out on purpose ? :( I thought the duet was so great and would really sound good here

> at 3:24: missing: "enter Andrew in the boat" - edit: I see you put it a bit later, probably fine too. You wanted the stanza to finish, I'm assuming

> at 4:10: another duet should be in here, instead you have only Leanne repeating the last line twice, which is not in the script

> at 12:36: "Lady Margaret right", can be cut

Thanks. Now only waiting for Unda !!!! and then this play is archived.

Sonia
Yeah, I kinda gave up on the duet because I was having so much trouble getting the voices to match up. I worry that this was beyond my abilities. I've reintegrated the duet to see if it passes muster in your opinion -- please let me know if there's anything you think I need to fix.

And the audio effect for Ruthven is relatively simple to recreate: Reverse --> Reverb --> Reverse again --> Fade In. I was thinking of using the same audio effect for the celestial beings in the Introduction, but worry that it would make their dialogue unintelligible (especially when they speak together in chorus).

Anyway, here's the re-uploaded Act II with all the corrections:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_02_planche_128kb.mp3 [27:49]
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:13 amYeah, I kinda gave up on the duet because I was having so much trouble getting the voices to match up. I worry that this was beyond my abilities. I've reintegrated the duet to see if it passes muster in your opinion
I personally think it sounds fantastic. Yes, for a big music-professional I guess the voices don't mix up entirely, but that doesn't mar the pleasure at all. These should not be trained opera singers but "normal" country-folk having a sentimental moment together. And Alan's deep voice mixed with Leanne's high notes sounds simply awesome. I don't think anybody will complain.
And the audio effect for Ruthven is relatively simple to recreate: Reverse --> Reverb --> Reverse again --> Fade In.
I thought at one point it might be in reverse but then I checked myself since it was all understandable, so it couldn't be reverse. That was a clever idea. I'll use that on my next ghost character :lol:
I was thinking of using the same audio effect for the celestial beings in the Introduction, but worry that it would make their dialogue unintelligible (especially when they speak together in chorus).
yes I think this option is better for short simply sentences, not long dialogues.

Act 2 is PL ok now

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:27 am
ChuckW wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:13 amYeah, I kinda gave up on the duet because I was having so much trouble getting the voices to match up. I worry that this was beyond my abilities. I've reintegrated the duet to see if it passes muster in your opinion
I personally think it sounds fantastic. Yes, for a big music-professional I guess the voices don't mix up entirely, but that doesn't mar the pleasure at all. These should not be trained opera singers but "normal" country-folk having a sentimental moment together. And Alan's deep voice mixed with Leanne's high notes sounds simply awesome. I don't think anybody will complain.
And the audio effect for Ruthven is relatively simple to recreate: Reverse --> Reverb --> Reverse again --> Fade In.
I thought at one point it might be in reverse but then I checked myself since it was all understandable, so it couldn't be reverse. That was a clever idea. I'll use that on my next ghost character :lol:
I was thinking of using the same audio effect for the celestial beings in the Introduction, but worry that it would make their dialogue unintelligible (especially when they speak together in chorus).
yes I think this option is better for short simply sentences, not long dialogues.

Act 2 is PL ok now

Sonia
Oh, and I forgot to add the first step to recreating that ghostly effect: duplicate. Let me know if you need any help with it.

And I'm glad my clumsy editing didn't fail Alan and Leanne. :-)

Thanks, as always!
PROJECTS
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ChuckW wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:47 amOh, and I forgot to add the first step to recreating that ghostly effect: duplicate. Let me know if you need any help with it.
I will definitely run it by you when I try it out first
btw did you see that both me and Mahne made an attempt to merge the voices ? If you like one of our versions better than yours, there's always time to change it:

viewtopic.php?p=1507400#p1507400
viewtopic.php?p=1524484#p1524484

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Kitty wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:51 am
ChuckW wrote: January 27th, 2019, 8:47 amOh, and I forgot to add the first step to recreating that ghostly effect: duplicate. Let me know if you need any help with it.
I will definitely run it by you when I try it out first
btw did you see that both me and Mahne made an attempt to merge the voices ? If you like one of our versions better than yours, there's always time to change it:

viewtopic.php?p=1507400#p1507400
viewtopic.php?p=1524484#p1524484

Sonia
Oooo, yes, I might steal that from you! Thanks! (Of course, I'm away from my computer right now, so it'll have to wait.)
PROJECTS
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Re: the duet

You will see from earlier posts that I did not think my efforts were acceptable. It is not your clumsy editing Chuck. It is my inability to follow a tune sung by someone else. I feel I should apologise to you and Leanne. I did suggest that someone else should do the role but that idea was vetoed.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

alanmapstone wrote: January 27th, 2019, 10:18 am Re: the duet

You will see from earlier posts that I did not think my efforts were acceptable. It is not your clumsy editing Chuck. It is my inability to follow a tune sung by someone else. I feel I should apologise to you and Leanne. I did suggest that someone else should do the role but that idea was vetoed.
Not at all, Alan! I love your recordings and don't think you have anything to apologize for.

I'm honestly a little tone-deaf though and have a hard time editing together anything that requires harmonized vocals. It's come up in the past and I always worry that I'm not doing justice to the original performers. This is why I usually steer clear of dramatic projects with a singing component. :lol:
PROJECTS
benderca

Post by benderca »

TJ's file, appear, appear!

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/vampire_unda_1_128kb.mp3

Hey, it worked! Yay!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

benderca wrote: January 27th, 2019, 1:03 pm TJ's file, appear, appear!
Hey, it worked! Yay!
hurray !!! the final file is in. :9: and wow, TJ, this was a powerful performance. :thumbs: especially this "down" at the end is grandiose, full in charge. I enjoyed every minute of it.

There is one line missing however:

> at 1:30 (second column, top) : missing line: "Attend the Ariel"

if you could quickly add that, then Chuck can edit it together while I am sleeping, and tomorrow it's ready to be archived :9:

Thank you !

Sonia
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

benderca wrote: January 27th, 2019, 1:03 pm TJ's file, appear, appear!

Hey, it worked! Yay!
Woohoo! Thanks TJ!
PROJECTS