[COMPLETE] Lovecraft's Influences and Favorites -ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Lovecraft's Influences and Favorites by Various ( - ).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:https://librivox.org/lovecrafts-influences-and-favorites-by-various/[/color]
In 1927, H. P. Lovecraft wrote a long essay on "Supernatural Horror in Literature" in which he discussed the history of what came to be known as Weird Fiction. This collection includes many of the texts that Lovecraft mentioned in the essay, beginning with Edgar Allan Poe's Fall of the House of Usher, published in 1839 and ending with Walter de la Mare Seaton's Aunt from 1922. Included are 19 stories and 1 poem. ( Alan Winterrowd)

1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): Various
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
      ===========================================
      This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
      [*] Project Code: JZxFuTbK

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Various) : n/a
      [*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
      [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 26
      [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
      [*]Original publication date (if known):
      [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?: audio.boomcoach.com
    ============================================
    [/size]
    Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Horror & Supernatural Fiction; Short Stories/Anthologies

Keywords that describe the book: horror, weird, lovecraft

============================================
  • BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  • DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Lovecraft's Influences and Favorites. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "[Name of Story]" (i.e. "Fall of the House of Usher, by Edgar Allan Poe"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Name of story]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Lovecraft's Influences and Favorites. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  • AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lovecraftsinfluences_##_various_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lovecraftsinfluences_01_various_128kb.mp3)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Annise
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Boomcoach on February 1st, 2019, 9:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

As long as it's not including any Lovecraft's readings, I'm happy to set this up (the PD status of most of his work is just too murky for me)
Back soon

Anne
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

with this part , I'd tend to say but it is up to you

START of recording (Intro)
  • "Section [number] of Lovecraft's Influences and Favorites. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe,,

END of recording
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [name of story]"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):

Just fill in the MW for the first one and I'll have a look just in case

Anne
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

No Lovecraft stories, I recognize that the PD status is a real mess. I like your change to the intro. I will make the change, then start working on the MW, including the Meta information for each story. I will holler if I have any issues with that part.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
My current Solo project A Spoiler of Men by Richard Marsh
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

When I try to access the MW, I am getting a message that I do not have permissions for the area.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
One role needed to complete the Dramatic Reading of The Leader by Murray Leinster, help us finish this project!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Sorry about this,I was concentrating so hard on the extra bits I left us both out :oops:
Should be OK now
Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

:!:

After recording "Supernatural Horror" (for Legamus) I had this idea to look up all the works mentioned there (just for my own information) but I never followed through with it. I'm glad someone is going to start a project like this :)

Do you have a list ready or are the readers supposed to suggest pieces?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 5:14 am :!:

After recording "Supernatural Horror" (for Legamus) I had this idea to look up all the works mentioned there (just for my own information) but I never followed through with it. I'm glad someone is going to start a project like this :)

Do you have a list ready or are the readers supposed to suggest pieces?
I have a list, and will be posting it soon. I had first discussed this with kadath a few years back, then took a hiatus. I decided it was too big a project for me to handle as a solo, and I thought that, since the stories are by different authors, that a group reading would be perfect!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

So please - no claims until the MW is set up. It's a great idea, let's get it looking great in the catalogue

Anne
Are you wanting a DPL ?
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

I have the sections set up in the MW now. I would ask that the multipart stories be claimed by the same person, as I would prefer the same voice through the story.

Anne, yes, I would like a DPL. I have set up the meta section for the first section. I have the links to set up the rest, but I wanted to make sure it was set up correctly before I mess up 26 different ones! :D In the notes sections, I have linked directly to the stories, when possible, but for the meta links, I realize that it needs to be to the overall PG page for the book, not a link within the book.
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Since the MW is now ready (almost), could I please read about Hearn's Kitten in section 3?

If girls are allowed in here, of course :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

Availle wrote: January 26th, 2019, 7:32 am Since the MW is now ready (almost), could I please read about Hearn's Kitten in section 3?

If girls are allowed in here, of course :wink:
Lol, it is all yours!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
svonb002

Post by svonb002 »

Greetings. May I claim section 22, The Unhappy Body by Lord Dunsany?
~ Stefan V.
Boomcoach

Post by Boomcoach »

svonb002 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 11:29 am Greetings. May I claim section 22, The Unhappy Body by Lord Dunsany?
Glad to have you on board! Section 22 is yours!
Boomcoach
My Catalog Page
wordwork2

Post by wordwork2 »

Hello!

I would like to record section 10 - The Red Room.