COMPLETE The Fair Maid of Perth, Or, St. Valentine's Day by Walter Scott -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The Fair Maid of Perth, Or, St. Valentine's Day by Sir Walter Scott (1771 - 1832).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-fair-maid-of-perth-or-st-valentines-day-by-sir-walter-scott/
Henry Gow has fallen in love with the Fair Maid of Perth, Catherine, the glovemaker's daughter. To make sure that he would be the first person she sees on Valentine's day, he walks to her house at the break of dawn, and arrives - just in time to save her from am attempted kidnapping. Henry acts immediately to save her, but the attackers are not just some ruffians but well-born and well-connected. Henry and Catherine are drawn into the games and intrigues of the nobility, with little choice but to play along.. ( Carolin)
    1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
    2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
    3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
    4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/7987
    5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
      Channels: 1 (Mono)
      Bit Rate: 128 kbps
      Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    7. DURING recording:
      Note: The Chapter number and the Section number in the MW are not the same! Please be careful when reading the Intro and Outro!
      Note: Don't forget to read the verse at the beginning of each chapter!

No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
      Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
      START of recording (Intro)
      • "Section [number, as in mw] of The Fair Maid of Perth, Or, St. Valentine's Day. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • Say:
        "The Fair Maid of Perth, Or, St. Valentine's Day, by Sir Walter Scott. Chapter [number, as in the text, if appliccable, part 1 or 2]"

END of recording
      • At the end of the section, say:
        "End of section [number, as in mw]"
      • If you wish, say:
        "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
        "End of The Fair Maid of Perth, Or, St. Valentine's Day, by Sir Walter Scott. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
    8. AFTER recording
      Need noise-cleaning?
      Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
      Save files as
      128 kbps MP3
      fairmaidofperth_##_scott_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. fairmaidofperth_01_scott_128kb.mp3)
    9. Example ID3 V2 tags (just leave those blank!)

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
      Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
      • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
        (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
      • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
      • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
      Any questions?
      Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Chapter II

part 1 please read until
“Go, call him, Dorothy,” said the old glover; “I will not be used thus by him: his Highland blood, forsooth, is too gentle to lay a trencher or spread a napkin, and he expects to enter our ancient and honourable craft without duly waiting and tending upon his master and teacher in all matters of lawful obedience. Go, call him, I say; I will not be thus neglected.”
part 2 please start at
Dorothy was presently heard screaming upstairs, or more probably up a ladder, to the cock loft, to which the recusant apprentice had made an untimely retreat; a muttered answer was returned, and soon after Conachar appeared in the eating apartment.

Chapter XIII

part 1 please read until
“Nay, be not wrathful, my good Lord of Douglas,” answered the Prince; “I did but smile to think how your princely retinue would dwindle if every thief were dealt with as the poor Highlanders at Houghmanstares.”
part 2 please start at
The King again interfered, to prevent the Earl from giving an angry reply.

Chapter XXIX

part 1 please read until
Look, my father, the light which I bear grows short and pale, a few minutes will extinguish it; but before it expires, the hideous tale will be told. Father, I am—a COWARD! It is said at last, and the secret of my disgrace is in keeping of another!”
part 2 please start at
The young man sunk back in a species of syncope, produced by the agony of his mind as he made the fatal communication. The glover, moved as well by fear as by compassion, applied himself to recall him to life, and succeeded in doing so, but not in restoring him to composure. He hid his face with his hands, and his tears flowed plentifully and bitterly.

Chapter XXXII

part 1 please read until
“And it is men—earthly men, and not incarnate devils, who thus appeal to Heaven, while they are devouring by inches the life blood of their hapless master!” muttered Catharine, as her two baffled inquisitors left the apartment. “Why sleeps the thunder? But it will roll ere long, and oh! may it be to preserve as well as to punish!”
part 2 please start at
The hour of dinner alone afforded a space when, all in the castle being occupied with that meal, Catharine thought she had the best opportunity of venturing to the breach in the wall, with the least chance of being observed.

Chapter XXXIV

part 1 please read until
But the leader disapproved of this arrangement; and having reminded Henry that he owed him obedience, as having taken wages at his hand, he commanded him to occupy the space in the third line immediately behind himself—a post of honour, certainly, which Henry could not decline, though he accepted of it with reluctance.
part 2 please start at
When the clans were thus drawn up opposed to each other, they intimated their feudal animosity and their eagerness to engage by a wild scream, which, uttered by the Clan Quhele, was answered and echoed back by the Clan Chattan, the whole at the same time shaking their swords and menacing each other, as if they meant to conquer the imagination of their opponents ere they mingled in the actual strife.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

this project is now ready to go! all readers and a dpl are most welcome! :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Moving us out to readers wanted :)
Carolin
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Greetings
I'd like to do Sections 0, 1, 2 and 3
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much rita :D
Carolin
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :D
Carolin
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Hello,
even though I volunteered to read the Preface of this book (section 1), there is a huge part written in Latin.
As I never took Latin and surmise most people listening would not appreciate my hacking it to death, I have to return this section to you, with apologies. Thank you, Rita
RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

RitaBoutros

Post by RitaBoutros »

Section 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/fairmaidofperth_3_scott_128kb.mp3 [24:56]

I can do sections 4 through 10
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you rita :thumbs:
Carolin
RitaBoutros