COMPLETE The Rose-colored World, and Other Fantasies by EM Brodie -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

BurgundyGrace wrote: January 26th, 2019, 1:27 am It is my understanding that anything which greatly affects the reading, causing a sense of disruption, is to be marked.
Ha, true. Our proof listening standard is often summarised as "anything that makes you go huh?", but it is a tiny bit more detailed than that :) youve probably seen this but here are our faqs viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17680

We dont generally correct pronunciation, but this is also not a black and white situation. Usually, when a word is mispronounced, the listener wont have any problems understanding it anyway. In that case, best to let it go. If the word can no longer be understood, or sounds like another word, a note might be in order. So everything depends on context :) thank you!
Carolin
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

by Carolin

It is my understanding that anything which greatly affects the reading, causing a sense of disruption, is to be marked.
Ha, true. Our proof listening standard is often summarised as "anything that makes you go huh?", but it is a tiny bit more detailed than that :) youve probably seen this but here are our faqs viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17680

We dont generally correct pronunciation, but this is also not a black and white situation. Usually, when a word is mispronounced, the listener wont have any problems understanding it anyway. In that case, best to let it go. If the word can no longer be understood, or sounds like another word, a note might be in order. So everything depends on context :) thank you!
Yes, thank you. I've reviewed that information, as well as several others throughout Librivox, having complimented whomever created the PL quiz.
And when I hear something questionable, I listen several times to determine if I CAN let it go and still feel that I have provided a service that will elevate that particular reading, the work as a whole, and therefore maintain and perhaps highlight LV as THE free audiobook content site.

MOST mispronunciations, MOST transliterations are "allowed" in what I hear.
If I "call out" a pronunciation, I have most deeply considered if it was necessary.
I have neither time nor interest in being overly critical; it's to no good purpose.

I shall provide both compliment and "correction" according to that which I believe, according to guidelines and my understanding, to be most helpful, ultimately to the reader, as I have done so here.

Also, Readers are ALWAYS welcome to PM me to politely inquire as to my reasoning for asking why I deemed anything for correction.
It would ALSO be a bit impolitic for a DPL to publicly say "YOUR reading is one of the best among these, but this one particular word (*and as individuals we ALL have them) is, I carefully consider, best changed to enhance listening."

I reflect on those "shades of grey" and provide the best service of which I capable here to LV.

Regards,
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

by realisticspeakers
Did you catch the part where he noticed no curtains and no hammocks while strolling down the street?
LOL. women can't hang curtain rods nor hammer in a hammock, (he whispered quietly)

All is PL OK with section 1.

Yes, yess ... whispering such word was wise of him. *Smile*

A really very cute story in many ways.

Thanks for your work here!
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you angelique!

i didnt mean to criticise you. since im not a native speaker myself i am often a little in doubt about pronunciation. i just wasnt sure if the pl guidelines were clear :) you are doing a great job as dpl, thanks so much for all your work!
Carolin
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thank you, Carolin.
I carry quite the American Southern accent and have often learned words through reading alone, so my pronunciation is by no means perfect, either.
Learning and correcting that which trips us up is part of the glory and pain of narrating.
I appreciate all you do, as well.
~Angelique
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

Okay, Sections 17 and 18, with corrections, are uploaded.
I tried to think "fray" instead of "frah" so you ladies will have to let me know if that part was a success.
Heaven help me if I ever have to read anything with the word "bagel". I'd need my husband to run me through a coaching session because I pronounce that one "behgal" and he laughs every time. :shock: :lol: :lol: :help:

Thanks again for all you do. And please let me know if anything needs to be re-done!

Thanks, Melissa
"My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Practical Magic

-Melissa Green
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/rosecoloredworld_17_brodie_128kb.mp3

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/rosecoloredworld_18_brodie_128kb.mp3

Wow, reading all the debate and hard work that goes into making these, I am impressed and amazed.

Personally, as a reader, I would never take offense to someone telling me that something sounded distracting. Whether it be an odd pronunciation, strange emphasis, or other. I feel so wonderfully supported that someone else is going to listen to what I've done and give me their ideas!!! What a blessing.

Thank you to both of you for being wonderful!

(Angelique, I will read fragrance over a million times until you love it and still be smiling. Hugs my friend.) And PM me anytime you feel the need.
"My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Practical Magic

-Melissa Green
Falassewen

Post by Falassewen »

Oh, also, pending further need for corrections on my existing sections, may I snagged sections 3 & 12 as well?

Melissa

-Melissa Green
KaelyMonahan

Post by KaelyMonahan »

Hi all -- I'm getting ready to record Section 21, Chapter 3 of "Faith." However, in my prep, I noticed a word in the text that is unclear to me. I cannot tell if it is an antiquated word --a and if it is, it hasn't come up on any Google searchers --- or if it is a typo in the original text.

It's on page 230, the first paragraph -- the sentence is ".....and imposed politely on coantry customers." The word I can't figure out is "coantry" -- does anyone recognize this word? If so, do you know how to pronounce it? I wonder if the author meant "country"? Thoughts?

Here's a link to the page in the text -- https://archive.org/details/rosecoloredworld00brod/page/230

Thanks all!

Kaely Monahan
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Falassewen

Wow, reading all the debate and hard work that goes into making these, I am impressed and amazed.

Personally, as a reader, I would never take offense to someone telling me that something sounded distracting. Whether it be an odd pronunciation, strange emphasis, or other. I feel so wonderfully supported that someone else is going to listen to what I've done and give me their ideas!!! What a blessing.

Thank you to both of you for being wonderful!

(Angelique, I will read fragrance over a million times until you love it and still be smiling. Hugs my friend.) And PM me anytime you feel the need.
Melissa, your reading is *Terrific.* Thank you for making the corrections and being open to notes. *Smile*
You're right. It DOES take a team to produce these wonderful creations.
As a fellow narrator, I have deepest respect for the skill and craft that goes into it; it's obvious these are labors of love.
Very sweet, Melissa. *SMILE*

I'm here if I can assist you, and am very much looking forward to hearing your new sections.

Regards,
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Oh. And the world "little."
Oh, my my, my. I can say that in at least seven different ways ... three times each, until I get one clear instance of it recorded. *Sigh*
Trippingly on the tounge alright! *Laugh*
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

KaelyMonahan
I wonder if the author meant "country"? Thoughts?
Kaely Monahan
Hi, Kaley!
Yes, please read as "country." I think the scan of the text at that word is scratched and so the 'o' looks like an 'a.'
Thanks for asking!

May the narration flow smoothly for you. *SMILE*
Looking forward to hearing it!
~Angelique
KaelyMonahan

Post by KaelyMonahan »

BurgundyGrace wrote: January 28th, 2019, 2:59 pm
KaelyMonahan
I wonder if the author meant "country"? Thoughts?
Kaely Monahan
Hi, Kaley!
Yes, please read as "country." I think the scan of the text at that word is scratched and so the 'o' looks like an 'a.'
Thanks for asking!

May the narration flow smoothly for you. *SMILE*
Looking forward to hearing it!
Got it! Thank you!

Kaely
Voxandis

Post by Voxandis »

I've completed Section 6 - Naomi's Wedding Bells [12m 7s]:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/rosecoloredworld_06_brodie_128kb.mp3
:D I'm looking for feedback on my recordings, especially on storytelling and character voices (but any feedback is welcome, I'm here to learn!). My recent contributions:

Fairytale: Tufty Riquet

Play: The Dream, role of Wovelreid: Act II, III