[COMPLETE] The Romance of Modern Mechanism by A. Williams - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The Romance of Modern Mechanism by Archibald Williams (1871 - 1934).

This project is now complete! All files can be downloaded from the catalog page here:
https://librivox.org/the-romance-of-modern-mechanism-by-archibald-williams/

In 1910, when this book was published, the advancement of modern mechanism was still moving at a rapid pace. It must have seemed like very day, new inventions were made to make life easier. Most of these are still very much in use today, such as the lawn-mower, automatic milking machines in the dairy industry, fire engines, and escalators. Learn about how these worked in this volume. ( Carolin)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you would like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline? We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/46094
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)! If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. Please skip the footnotes!
  7. Please skip the descriptions of illustrations!
  8. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: viewtopic.php?p=6430#p6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  9. DURING recording:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    START of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Romance of Modern Mechanism. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say: "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Romance of Modern Mechanism, by Archibald Williams. [Chapter title]"

END of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Romance of Modern Mechanism, by Archibald Williams. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  10. AFTER recording
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The latest version of Audacity is recommended for noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    modernmechanism_##_williams_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. modernmechanism_01_williams_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings) Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Chapter III

part 1, please end with
Not only does he flay it, but pierces it through and through; twists it into all manner of shapes; hacks masses off as easily as he would cut slices from a loaf; squeezes it in terrible presses to a fraction of its original thickness; and otherwise so treats it that we are glad that our scientific observations have as yet discovered no sentience in the substances reduced to our service.
part 2, please start at
THE STEAM HAMMER
The Scandinavian god Thor was a marvellous blacksmith.

Chapter VIII

part 1, please end with
The general adoption of this new ally will take time, and must depend largely on the liberality of subscribers to the fine institution responsible for lifeboat maintenance; but it is satisfactory to learn that the Committee has given the boat in question a practical chance in the open sea by stationing her at Newhaven, Sussex, as a unit in the lifeboat fleet.
part 2, please start at
MOTOR FISHING BOATS
It is a pretty sight to watch a fishing fleet enter the harbour with its catch, taken far away on the waters beyond the horizon while landsmen slept.

Chapter XII

part 1, please end with
It has been reckoned that each ton of water distilled costs only 18 cents; or, stated otherwise, that 40 gallons cost one penny. At many ports fresh water costs three or four times this figure; and even when procured is of doubtful purity. During the Spanish-American War the Iris and a sister ship, the Rainbow, proved most useful.
part 2, please start at
REFRIGERATORS
Of late years the frozen-meat trade has increased by leaps and bounds.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

This project is now ready to go! All readers and a dpl are most welcome :D

I am working my way through the library of romance, this is the sixth volume in the series i am bcing :) and after plants and then pirates, we return to engineering and invention.
Carolin
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

may I start this off with 16 and 24...

BettyB
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you so much :D
Carolin
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

I would like the introduction and section 18 - Apparatus for Raising Sunken Ships and Treasure, please.
Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :D
Carolin
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Introduction as well, please. :)
Anyway, here it is. Duration 10:50
https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/modernmechanism_00_williams_128kb.mp3
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you for getting us started :D
Carolin
jergenhergle

Post by jergenhergle »

Could I take Section 26, Chapter XXIII - An Electric Postal System? Thanks!
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

jergenhergle wrote: January 26th, 2019, 2:31 pm Could I take Section 26, Chapter XXIII - An Electric Postal System? Thanks!
Hi jordan, welcome to librivox!

You are welcome to participate in this project :) as this is your first claim, i will add you to the reader database. To be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear in the catalog. We can also link to your personal website or blog.

I see you have already completed your one minute test :thumbs: so your catalog info is all i need to get you started! Thank you!
Carolin
jergenhergle

Post by jergenhergle »

Thank you! Put me in the database under J. C. Harrison. I don't have a personal website so you don't have to link to anything.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you betty :D
Carolin