[COMPLETE][SOLO, RUSSIAN] Николай Лесков, На краю света - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

На краю света (On the Edge of the World) by Nikolai Leskov (1831 - 1895).

This project is now complete! All audio files can now be found on the catalog page for this project https://librivox.org/on-the-edge-of-the-world-by-nikolai-leskov/
Повесть основана на подлинном случае миссионерской деятельности архиепископа Нила (1799-1874), но написана с характерным для Лескова гротеском и тщательной шлифовкой персонажей. Затронута необычная для русской литературы 19-го века тема свободы вероисповедания.

"Making up things is hard labour for me, so I've always felt the need for having before me real faces which could intrigue me with their spirituality; then they get hold of me and I infuse them with new life, using some real-life stories as a basis," wrote Leskov about the characters of this book. Bigger than life characters meet at a missionary expedition to the Siberian North. The subject of freedom of faith is unusual for the 19-century Russian literature. (Mark Chulsky+Wikipedia)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/polnoesobranieso06leskuoft/page/n311
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): special, constructive criticism welcome

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Николай Лесков, повесть На краю света. Эта запись сделана для проекта ЛибриВокс. Все записи ЛибриВокс являются общественным достоянием. Для справок и помощи проекту пожалуйста посетите сетевую страницу librivox DOT org."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Глава [number]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Глава [number] повести Николая Лескова На краю света. Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс является общественным достоянием."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "Конец главы #"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "Конец повести Николая Лескова На краю света"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename edgeoftheworld_##_leskov_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. edgeoftheworld_01_leskov_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Kitty
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by chulsky on February 13th, 2019, 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Chulsky / Марк Чульский
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Hi Mark, I can set this up. This will be my second Russian solo I'm MCing. :) MW will be ready soon. So you only want to read that one story from the book you're linking to ? Not the entire book ?

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MW is ready to be populated. You don't have a DPL yet, I suppose ? I put a ~ in the title to reflect that and we'll stay in the Launch Pad over the weekend, so maybe we find someone who can help out.

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Thank you, Sonia!
Yes, this story is independent of the rest of the volume, I'm not reading the other stories this time.
I'll be working on procuring a DPL. As an experienced Russian MC, you know it takes an effort :-)
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

karlkuzmich wrote: January 25th, 2019, 6:41 amAs an experienced Russian MC, you know it takes an effort :-)
haha yes, good luck. I was trying to PL my previous Russian MC job, but after one chapter I gave up. Although I have learnt Russian for a few years now, and I can read the Kyrillic script, I was unable to read the text fast enough to follow along with the reader. So it took me hours to listen to one chapter. I know where my limits are :?

Sonia
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Hi! I would like to DPL this - looks interesting! I have never read anything of Nikolai Leskov's works, so this would be a nice opportunity.
Kristine :)
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

That's great, Kristine, I'm looking forward to working with you! :9:
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Wonderful Kristine, you should have DPL access of the MW now. BTW I see you're from Riga, I have visited the city only last summer, when all the Bear statues were standing on the market place :lol: a very beautiful city (but we got a bit lost with the car when we were looking for our hotel, too many one-way-streets :mrgreen: )

I can move us to going solo then. Here's to a good collaboration. :birthday:

Sonia
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Kitty wrote: January 26th, 2019, 1:06 am (but we got a bit lost with the car when we were looking for our hotel, too many one-way-streets :mrgreen: )
Nice to hear that you liked Riga! True about the one-way-streets. In certain districts all of them seem to be one-way, I sometimes still get entangled when driving there. :mrgreen:

Mark, happy recording!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Kikisaulite wrote: January 26th, 2019, 8:32 am Nice to hear that you liked Riga! True about the one-way-streets. In certain districts all of them seem to be one-way, I sometimes still get entangled when driving there. :mrgreen:
:shock: woah even the locals get lost LOL then I guess we were lucky to find the hotel at all. :lol:

Sonia
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

I've been to Riga a few times in the late 70-s / early 80-s. I've been lost in old Riga too, but I don't remember any cars there, only pedestrians :-)
Sec. 1 is up: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/edgeoftheworld_01_leskov_128kb.mp3 [15:31]
Sec. 2 is up: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/edgeoftheworld_02_leskov_128kb.mp3 [12:46]
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec. 3 and 4 are up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/edgeoftheworld_03_leskov_128kb.mp3 [19:52]
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/edgeoftheworld_04_leskov_128kb.mp3 [10:22]

Kristine, if you are familiar with Russian Orthodox liturgy, please don't be shy to correct my sound of old Slavic and religious terminology!
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Sections 1 and 2 are OK! :clap:
chulsky

Post by chulsky »

Sec. 5,6 are up:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/edgeoftheworld_05_leskov_128kb.mp3 [31:34]
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/edgeoftheworld_06_leskov_128kb.mp3 [28:15]
Kristine, don't worry, these are the longest chapters, they are getting shorter again :-)
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Hi, Mark!
I listened to chapter 3 and the beginning got me wondering. At the beginning of the file you say the traditional shortened intro:
"Глава [number] повести Николая Лескова На краю света. Эта запись проекта ЛибриВокс является общественным достоянием."

and then you plunge right into the text (this is the case in all chapters, I think). I somehow feel that it would be nice to repeat the chapter title after the intro and before the actual text as well, even though it is only a chapter number in this case.
It perhaps can remain as it is now too, but in this way the text blends together with the intro very much... Another thing is a consideration, that any listener of the book will most likely get used to the intro part after a few chapters and unconsciously treat it like we do all kinds of advertisments - listen to it not really hearing, the attention snapping in just when the actual book text commences. From this viewpoint as well it would be good to have the "glava takaja-to" to signal where the text starts.

So this is just a suggestion for you to consider...

Kristine