Credit for editors of plays / DRs

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The voice credits are meant for listeners to be able to identify the readers, not as a means of giving credit.
So the answer is no.

Anne
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Thanks, Anne! :)
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

TriciaG wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 6:51 am My humble opinion:

...And the BCs seem to find the editing to be a lot more work on DRs, and parcel it out to others rather than doing it themselves.
You make it sound like you think some people are shirking their duties, rather than this being a natural outflow of a collaborative community of volunteers where people do what they like and are good at. I don't think we would draw similar parallels in task distribution in other areas:

...And the BCs seem to find the cover making to be a lot of work, and parcel it out to others rather than doing it themselves.
...And the BCs seem to find the PLing to be a lot of work, and parcel it out to others rather than doing it all themselves.
...And the readers seem to find the reading to be a lot of work, and parcel it out to others rather than doing it all themselves.

IMHO the ideal solution would be to create another (optional) slot alongside the MC, BC and DPL slots for the major editor, however I gather this is a difficult adjustment to make. In the meantime, I will continue to put the audio editor's name into the catalogue summary along with the Cast List. If the editor wants an audio credit in the file, I'll do it on a case by case basis.

(In my current play, An Ideal Husband, the narrator is still making corrections as the narration was almost the last file to come in, so it's a relatively easy fix! More often the narration is done early, making this more problematic.)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

annise wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 3:26 pm The voice credits are meant for listeners to be able to identify the readers, not as a means of giving credit.
So the answer is no.

Anne
Is this an admin definitive policy? That editors are NOT ALLOWED to be mentioned in the audio file? This is different to what Tricia said above about maybe inclusion at the end of the Cast List, read by the narrator.

(I'm currently finishing up with Ideal Husband, so if this is the case there will be some urgency to change the audio file before cataloguing.)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Elizabby wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 3:34 pm
TriciaG wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 6:51 am My humble opinion:

...And the BCs seem to find the editing to be a lot more work on DRs, and parcel it out to others rather than doing it themselves.
You make it sound like you think some people are shirking their duties, rather than this being a natural outflow of a collaborative community of volunteers where people do what they like and are good at.
Historically, as I said in the post you quoted, the BCs did the editing when it was mostly plays. It may be true that it's simply a matter of "do what you're good at", but from where I sit, it is also a matter of "I'd like to coordinate this dramatic reading but (cannot/don't want to/am not good at) editing, so I'll look for an editor." It's rare to find editors asking for a project to edit; usually it's the BC asking for someone to please edit their dramatic reading.

Like I said, this from my viewpoint. :) I may be looking at the convex side of the curved wall, while others are looking at the concave side. Who's right? Probably both.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

You make it sound like you think some people are shirking their duties, rather than this being a natural outflow of a collaborative community of volunteers where people do what they like and are good at.

The Prime Directive of LV is to have all PD books available as a free audiobook and this is done by having a collaborative community of volunteers doing what they like and are good at but it also means having members not doing exactly what they want. It needs people who see projects needing a chapter to finish and picking it up and reading it even it is a book they hate.
And PLers helping out with a book that they dislike.
And MCs picking up projects they don't want.
And cover makers making covers for projects that personally they wish were not in the catalogue
And without these nothing would get finished. But they also are the most likely to burn out.

So what I see with the DRs is people who are quick to claim the lead roles and never go around picking up the butler in chapter 10 saying "you rang sir" in the DRs needing them.
And people saying OK I'll edit just to get it finished, I don't see them posting on the first page saying please please please let me edit.

So I think your statement is only correct if you include in the "people do what they like" those who like to see things finished off

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Elizabby wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 3:36 pm
annise wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 3:26 pm The voice credits are meant for listeners to be able to identify the readers, not as a means of giving credit.
So the answer is no.

Anne
Is this an admin definitive policy? That editors are NOT ALLOWED to be mentioned in the audio file? This is different to what Tricia said above about maybe inclusion at the end of the Cast List, read by the narrator.

(I'm currently finishing up with Ideal Husband, so if this is the case there will be some urgency to change the audio file before cataloguing.)
My post wasn't official policy. Unless you hear differently sometime in the future, please do not add an audio editor credit. Better to not add it than to have to go back and edit it out if/when there's an "official policy" made.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

TriciaG wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 6:00 pm
Elizabby wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 3:36 pm
So the answer is no.

Anne

My post wasn't official policy. Unless you hear differently sometime in the future, please do not add an audio editor credit. Better to not add it than to have to go back and edit it out if/when there's an "official policy" made.
Understood. It would be much harder to go back once it's already catalogued and try to edit it out and re-catalogue...I'm not sure what the process would be, but I know it would be trickier than if I omitted the credit in the first place.
(By the way, I think this was addressed to Elizabby, but I brought up a similar question earlier and that is why I am answering.)
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I answered your question directly after you asked it.

Anne
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

annise wrote: ↑January 24th, 2019, 4:49 pm So what I see with the DRs is people who are quick to claim the lead roles and never go around picking up the butler in chapter 10 saying "you rang sir" in the DRs needing them.
And people saying OK I'll edit just to get it finished, I don't see them posting on the first page saying please please please let me edit.
Sure, why should they? Everyone marvels the main roles, they are prominently seen in the spotlight, some maybe even small roles, but who thinks about the editors and marvels them? Who claps the hands about how wonderful the editor fitted the voices together? I guess most people even don't think at all about how a play or drama would sound if the editor hadn't leveled out the voices and done a lot of other work.

The people who edit do it because it is necessary, they know that a new play will come, or that there aren't many competitors and such they can wait to claim. They don't do it for the fame because they know they won't get it, or get it scarcely anyway. Still I personally think it is nice to give them proper credit and really - the fact that we have to discuss this topic already annoys me. In my opinion it simply should be a matter of course.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

They are credited in the summary usually and no one disagrees with that, in fact I think it should happen

Anne
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sure, but if people want an audio credit as well, I don't think that's a terrible thing.

It could be like in the movies, where there is a list of credits at the end which people are free to ignore! The audio editor, BC, DPL and MC could all have credits if they wanted them, read by the narrator (as in most commercial productions) or read by themselves, if they are readers and like it that way!

If giving people more credit makes them happy and more likely to volunteer and yes, do the jobs that need to be done - since it costs nothing, why not do it, or allow people to do it?

The "production team" credits in commercial productions go at the end (and I usually switch the book off before listening) but I know what they sound like. If we did them in the same style it would be clear they are not part of the text. I suppose it could go something like this:
End of chapter 20. End of Anne of Green Gables. This audio production was sound engineered by Arielle Lipshaw, the Book Coordinator was MaryAnn, the Meta Coordinator was ToddHW. We hope you enjoyed this free Librivox recording! For more information or to volunteer come join us at Librivox dot org.
It would take about 20 seconds, I guess. And if it makes people happier to take on the admittedly higher workload of drama projects, why not? It's not as if we can pay them more or give them an end of year bonus!
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

annise wrote: ↑January 25th, 2019, 2:59 am They are credited in the summary usually and no one disagrees with that, in fact I think it should happen
If it happens, I am fine :) I have seen dramas though where the editor was neither mentioned in the cast list nor somewhere else.
Elizabby wrote: ↑January 25th, 2019, 3:32 pm The audio editor, BC, DPL and MC could all have credits if they wanted them, read by the narrator (as in most commercial productions) or read by themselves, if they are readers and like it that way!
The BC, DPL and MC are credited on the catalog page, that's fine for me. I think it is nice if they are also on the CD case inlay as some people may not have the catalog page at hand when listening to the CD. Having a whole production team list at the end of the recording - I don't know, that might be overkill as there is already the catalog page where people download the file.
But imo the editor should be mentioned somewhere in those places, either the recording itself at the end or in the cast list.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The thing is, it isn't my opinion (or yours) that matters - I don't edit and I've never given the issue much thought, to be honest. It's the opinion of the people who do the editing that matters.

Rob started this thread because he edits here quite a lot - we've done several plays together and he BCs and edits for himself as well. So if he does all this work, and feels that more credit would be nice both for himself and other editors - I'd be keen to support it.

As has been noted in this thread previously, editing is rather a special skill, and not everyone can do it. Rather than risk burnout or dissatisfaction among those who do this work, I'd rather see them get credit in a few different places! I'd have no issue with them getting credited both on the catalogue page AND in the audio file! (I'm so radical! ;) )
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Elizabby wrote: ↑January 25th, 2019, 3:55 pm I'd have no issue with them getting credited both on the catalogue page AND in the audio file!
The BCs aren't and they really do a lot, also the MCs, do you see risk of burnout there, too? But they have their credit in the catalog page, the editors haven't, that's a difference I see. But there is a cast list and I think every BC should take care to mention the people who did work hard to make the drama successful. Just another 2 cents of mine :)