[COMPLETE] A Deal with the Devil by Eden Phillpotts - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Chapters 1-3 of A Deal with the Devil uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/dealwiththedevil_01_phillpotts_128kb.mp3 13:30

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/dealwiththedevil_02_phillpotts_128kb.mp3 9:20

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/dealwiththedevil_03_phillpotts_128kb.mp3 11:05

Why, yes, yes indeed. I DO have to stop to laugh at some of the lines in each and every chapter.

Thank you in advance for the DPLing here, Linny!
I'll be watching, ready to make changes as needed.

Best,
~Angelique
linny

Post by linny »

Section 1 is PL OK. All notes are optional.
5:05 beginning with Of course we all know he is one. and ending at 6:24 with You know that well enough.' is a little louder than the rest. The exception is the line at 6:01 "Don't talk like that, grandpapa."
Also louder here: 11:11 – 11:50, 12:24 – 12:40, 12:50 – 13:18

Voices / emotion are tough on volume control especially when using a higher pitch. Try moving slightly away from the mic for these pieces. I stand when I record and find that by shifting my weight to my heals, it’s enough to counter the extra volume. Optionally, you might consider using the ‘compressor’ function when editing.

You left 1 second between the reading and ‘end of section’. That’s good. I find between 1 and 1.5 seconds is good spacing.

Ending silence is ~4 seconds. Please try and get closer to ~5 seconds. Some players cut off the last few seconds of recording and we don’t want them to cut you off. You should be safe at 4.

I'm going to continue on with section 2 now but before I did I checked all the intros.
You consistently began the intro and ending with ‘section #’ instead of ‘chapter #’. That’s absolutely fine. LV doesn’t care which as long as it’s consistent. When you have a moment please update the initial post. That way I won’t forget and if by chance you sneak a ‘chapter’ in there I can catch it for you. Let me know if you have questions about how to edit the post (it’s the little pencil in the upper right). Note: the text does say “Chapter #” so just let me know if you decide to change the reading instead of the posting.
linny

Post by linny »

Section 2 is PL OK. Notes are optional
You used the longer intro. With a solo you have the option of using the shortened version for all but section 1.

Grandpapa’s lines are louder than the remainder of the recording.

5:53 - And, further, it is to be noted, observed, and understood that each of the said ten years hereinbefore abovementioned shall embrace a period of life formerly extending over a decade of ordinary mundane years; and it is also understood, granted, and agreed that the aforementioned Daniel Dolphin do henceforth and hereafter grow younger instead of older, which provision I hereby undertake for the reason that human life protracted beyond a century, ceases to give the possessor thereof pleasure or gratification in any sort."
I hear years

Ending silence is ~4 seconds.

Section 3 – note for 9:54 needs to be corrected. Other notes are optional.
You used the longer intro. That's fine as long as you didn't change it in two and continue with it for the remainder.

Grandpapa’s lines are louder than the remainder of the recording.

2:07 - "Think of me! Generalities are no good. Be practical if you can. Is it a ghastly hoax or a hideous fact?
I hear ghostly

9:54 – missing text - "Lor, Martha!" said Mrs. Hopkins. "What corn have I trod on now? I thought the old gentleman would have been pleased."
linny

Post by linny »

So, is this the level of PLing you are looking for? Too much? Something else you are looking for? Now would be the time to adjust.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Linny: So, is this the level of PLing you are looking for? Too much? Something else you are looking for? Now would be the time to adjust.
Thank you, Linny. It's obvious you took a lot of time and effort with this and you've shared a lot of valuable information here.

Well. *Blush* This has been compressed and even hand-leveled a bit.
I even backed away from the mic, but apparently not enough.
Still, Grandpapa IS screaming, hysterical, so the level sounds appropriate to me. I will leave it.
I ALWAYS appreciate the note and option to change though.
(And fortunately, grandpapa's voice is about ready to deepen, due to his … declining years. So we shouldn't have any volume issue very soon. Or not as many, anyway.)
I'll work on mic tech in the future though. It's a definite “Narrator Need.”

Please don't worry about word perfect reading.
Certainly, if I substitue a word that makes NO sense whatsoever, inform me.
On consideration, I believe these substitutions to be “okay.”
Soft PL is fine here; while I always try to get text to voice exactly right, that's something I'm still working on, for professional reading.

We will use the 5 seconds of silence at the end. Thank you for pointing this out!

You are absolutely right regarding “Chapter” vs. “Section”
“Chapter” is the better term; I will change recordings (and my reader's notes) to reflect this and reupload for spot checking.

*** One question on short disclaimer: may I begin to use that from Chapter 5 on, until the last two chapters, where I'd like to again use the full statement?
Or MUST it be long, then short for the rest of the chapters?
(I THINK I understand you to mean the latter, but wish to clarify, before making my decision if I'll change it.)

Arrggg on 9:54 – missing text - "Lor, Martha!" said Mrs. Hopkins. ...

THIS line was THE most difficult for me out of all of the readings so far. I had to record that about 8 times, and STILL messed it up. *Sigh*

And I've not a clue as to why.
Thank you for catching it, Linny.

When I make the other changes, I will insert the line and then re-up it, for spot check.
Again, thank you for the thorough job. At that level, I'm sure Pling is no treat. It's important to me that you enjoy it, to the extent sincerely possible. If you do, others will. And if no one does, then … well, there's no point in doing it at all. SMILE

Do know that I carefully considered each of your notes; I'll never simply shrug my shoulders, say “Oh, Well!” and go about my way.

So, please check me for missing lines, terribly garbled/unclear wording, 2-3+ second pauses … those “HUH?” listener reactions … and those LV specific requirements such as sample rate, begin/end silences and other tips, such as with mic technique.

Overall, thank you for the opportunity to read your thoughts and expert suggestions, Linny!
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Ahhh, nevermind on the question, Linny.
I have to change from "section" to "chapter" anyway, so may as well begin the edit on Chapter 2 to include the short disclaimer!

Going through now and changing text notes, but I very well MAY forget and add full disclaimer at some point.
Thank you in advance for noting it!
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello!
I'll upload these chapters individually, to better prevent from uploading the incorrect file.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/dealwiththedevil_01_phillpotts_128kb.mp3 13:31 (Time change here)

I changed to "Chapter 1" and "End Ch 1" and left 5 seconds silence.
All else, including full disclaimer, left as is.

Thank you!
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/dealwiththedevil_02_phillpotts_128kb.mp3 9:20 (Time Change)

Intro and Outro changed, 1 second silence added.

Best Regards,
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Ch 3 reup: Change I & O, insert "Mrs. Hopkins", add sec silence

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/dealwiththedevil_03_phillpotts_128kb.mp3 11:05 (Time Change)

Thank you!
~Angelique
linny

Post by linny »

Thank you for the feedback. I should get your spot checks finished tonight or tomorrow. Please be sure to update the MW. The sections should be toggled to 'Ready for spot PL'.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

And thank YOU.
MW updated. :)
~Angelique
linny

Post by linny »

I'm sorry for the delay. I seem to have lost yesterday. :?

Section 1-3 are all spot check PL OK.
linny

Post by linny »

NOTE FOR LINNY
Short intro being read as:
"Chapter [number] of A Deal With The Devil. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
A Deal With The Devil by Eden Phillpotts "[Chapter title]"
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Never a rush to DPL these, Linny.
Several chapters are in edit, so I may well upload several at a time.
That's not meant to overwhelm you or imply expectation of rapid turn-around.
I'm confident we'll find great pace together.

Many Regards,
~Angelique