COMPLETE [GROUP] The Doves' Nest and Other Stories - Katherine Mansfield - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Sonia. Good catch: I will make that change.

The Switzerland thing was a coincidence: I chose the story at random!
Rob Marland reader section | website
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Sunbeard

Post by Sunbeard »

I'd like to take a stab at the Doll's House. If I'm not horrid at it I may try another :)
-Sunbeard
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Sunbeard wrote: January 14th, 2019, 11:39 am I'd like to take a stab at the Doll's House. If I'm not horrid at it I may try another :)
-Sunbeard
Thanks! It's all yours.
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

I'm new here, but I have to start somewhere, right? I would like "A Cup of Tea", if it's still available.
“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”
--Jane Austen
bhavya

Post by bhavya »

I'd like to claim section 15.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, both.

Malka, I don’t think anyone has replied to your one minute test yet, but it sounds good to me. It’s best to wait until you get confirmation that your recording settings are OK before getting started on the chapter, but it will probably be a formality. Thanks for making this your first project! Oh, by the way, can you let me know what you want your name to be in the catalogue? You can have a different name to your forum name, but as you seem to have used a real name rather than a nickname here, perhaps you will want “Malka Davis”. Up to you.
BumbleOfTheNorth

Post by BumbleOfTheNorth »

I'll have a go at 13, A Bad Idea.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

great job on all of them, Rob :thumbs: I notice that those stories have a tinge of the depressing after all :( And it's frustrating that they are unfinished. Especially this story with the husband, I would have loved to hear more about what happened a year ago to make them so cold to each other. And this guy on the ship was absolutely heartless, to make his wife get up on deck just because he doesn't want to stay inside. :evil:

I can mark Sections 6, 9 and 19 PL ok

but I have a few notes for Section 7:

> at 9:09: (p. 97) repeat: “it tempts me – it tempts me terribly” – you can cut out one of the versions...having “it tempts me” three times in this sentences, sounds a bit repetitive

> at 21:20: (p. 105) “first his bald head was scarlet” – I hear “big:hmm:

> at 34:46: (p. 114) “there was a creeper with small, bunched-up pink and purple flowers” – you say “feathers”, but I think a creeper is a plant if I’m not mistaken, so “flowers” makes more sense

> at 34:48: (p. 114) repeat “these did know me” can be cut out once

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

BumbleOfTheNorth wrote: January 15th, 2019, 2:45 am I'll have a go at 13, A Bad Idea.
Thanks! All yours. And, because I see you are new here (welcome!) can you let me know what you want your name to be in the catalogue? You can have a different name to your forum name. Some people choose their real name, some a pseudonym, some just use their forum name (perhaps with spaces between the words). Up to you.
Subconscious

Post by Subconscious »

Hi Rob, can I claim section 2?
According to Confucius, "i hear and i forget ; i see and i remember ; i do and i understand."
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Subconscious wrote: January 15th, 2019, 12:44 pm Hi Rob, can I claim section 2?
Of course. Thanks!
malkadavis

Post by malkadavis »

RobMarland wrote: January 15th, 2019, 1:18 am Thanks, both.

Malka, I don’t think anyone has replied to your one minute test yet, but it sounds good to me. It’s best to wait until you get confirmation that your recording settings are OK before getting started on the chapter, but it will probably be a formality. Thanks for making this your first project! Oh, by the way, can you let me know what you want your name to be in the catalogue? You can have a different name to your forum name, but as you seem to have used a real name rather than a nickname here, perhaps you will want “Malka Davis”. Up to you.
Thanks, Rob. I will wait for the final verdict on my test recording. Until then, I will spend time practicing my reading for "A Cup of Tea." Yes, please use Malka Davis for the catalogue.
“I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal.”
--Jane Austen
Subconscious

Post by Subconscious »

Hi Rob,

This is my first chapter reading. I hope I didn't butcher it too much. Here is section 02:

Duration: 14 min 23 sec
MP3 URL: https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/dovesnest_02_mansfield_128kb.mp3
According to Confucius, "i hear and i forget ; i see and i remember ; i do and i understand."
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Daryl,

No butchering at all! Thanks again for making this your first contribution to the Librivox catalogue.

I have proof-listened to the file and there are just a couple of things for you to fix:

at 7.30: "and he grimaced and smirked and flicked his serviette like a fin". I didn't quite hear 'serviette'.
And right at the very end: "Let's go before the old codger begins squawking again." I would say 'codger' to rhyme with 'lodger' or 'Roger'.

In case you are not familiar with the procedure now, what you would do is re-record those two lines and then edit them into the chapter, replacing your first readings. Hopefully you kept your raw recording as a .wav file or other lossless file, because editing and re-saving an .mp3 causes degradation in the file. Then you would save with the same filename and re-upload, and reply to this thread to let me know you are ready for what we call "spot PL". Thanks!