COMPLETE[PLAY]Hecyra: The Mother-In-Law by Terence - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Have a question about reading stage directions: do I change the wording to present tense? For example:

PAR. (at the door, speaking to SCIRTUS within.) If the old man should be asking for me, do you say that I have just gone to the harbor to inquire about the arrival of Pamphilus. Do you hear what I say, Scirtus? If he asks for me, then you are to say so; if he does not, why, say nothing at all; so that at another time I may be able to employ that excuse as a new one. (Comes forward, and looking around.)—But is it my dear Philotis that I see? How has she come here? (Accosting her.) Philotis heartily good-morrow.

Should I say:
Parmeno, at the door, speaking to Scirtus within
Parmeno COMES forward, and LOOKS around.
Parmeno ACCOSTS her.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

leanneyauyau wrote: January 14th, 2019, 2:52 am Have a question about reading stage directions: do I change the wording to present tense? For example:

PAR. (at the door, speaking to SCIRTUS within.) If the old man should be asking for me, do you say that I have just gone to the harbor to inquire about the arrival of Pamphilus. Do you hear what I say, Scirtus? If he asks for me, then you are to say so; if he does not, why, say nothing at all; so that at another time I may be able to employ that excuse as a new one. (Comes forward, and looking around.)—But is it my dear Philotis that I see? How has she come here? (Accosting her.) Philotis heartily good-morrow.

Should I say:
Parmeno, at the door, speaking to Scirtus within
Parmeno COMES forward, and LOOKS around.
Parmeno ACCOSTS her.
thanks for claiming the remaining stage directions, Leanne :9:

In this particular case, no change is necessary, simply read what is written there. We never repeat the name of the character when the stage directions are "inside" a speech because we know who is speaking then. Only say the name at the beginning of someone's speech, so like you said here: "Parmeno, at the door, speaking to Scirtus within" is correct because it's the beginning of his speech. Later on only: "Comes forward, and looking around" without the name, because he continues speaking after that

Thanks for asking :)

...and we're fully claimed after less than 24 hours :clap:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yesterday morning, here is me at my computer: "I wonder if anyone will really be interested in these really old plays by Terence. Well, since many of the plays in my signature line say (Full), maybe I better give it a try and post it since it is already prep'd."

And today, in less than 24 hours, the play is fully cast. Guess ya'all liked that choice; very gratified to see that.

But, grumble, my signature line has (Full) after the name of yet another play. So I guess I better think of another one to offer, eh?

(Ya'know, there are a couple open things in my signature line to look at while you wait...)

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd, here is Bacchis, the hooker with the heart of gold. Pamphilus really doesn't deserve a friend like that. I made the final scene a bit bitter-sweet because I had the impression, despite everything, she still has feelings for the guy.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_bacchis_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:01 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_bacchis_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:24 min.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 14th, 2019, 10:46 am Todd, here is Bacchis, the hooker with the heart of gold. Pamphilus really doesn't deserve a friend like that. I made the final scene a bit bitter-sweet because I had the impression, despite everything, she still has feelings for the guy.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_bacchis_4_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 3:01 min.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_bacchis_5_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 4:24 min.

Sonia
Wonderfully done. Both PL OK. And yes, you are a nice person in spite of the casting as a courtesan - the footnotes say that Terence put a Good Mother-in-Law and a good courtesan into the play very intentionally to play opposite to expectations.

Thanks, Todd
NemoR

Post by NemoR »

Nemo

Thoreau - “Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake."
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

NemoR wrote: January 14th, 2019, 5:29 pmSosia for PL: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_sosia_3_128kb.mp3
oh he's so full of exasperated despair :lol: it was funny in a way, even though the poor man surely is to pity. ;)

Well done Nemo, thanks. Absolutely PL ok.

Sonia
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Phidippus act 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_phidippus_2.mp3

As there are not yet any guidelines on proper names I have followed my own instincts.
Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
bluechien

Post by bluechien »

In case it's helpful to anyone, here's roughly how Google Latin translate would pronounce these: :hmm:

Myrrhina -- Mir-RHINE-uh
Syra -- SEE-ruh
Sostrata -- So -STRAHT-uh
Philotis -- Fee-LOTE-is
Parmeno -- Par-MEN-oh
Pamphilus -- Pam-FEE-lus (e.g. longish u, "loos")
Phidippus -- FEE-dee-pus (longish u)
Laches -- LACK-ess
Sosia -- SOZE-sia
Bacchis -- BACK-kiss or BACK-kees (longish e)
Scirtus -- SHEERT-tus (long u)
Philumena - Fee'-lu-MEN'-ah
Eva D
If we do meet again, why, we shall smile;
If not, why then, this parting was well made.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:31 amPhidippus act 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/hecyra_phidippus_2.mp3
As there are not yet any guidelines on proper names I have followed my own instincts.
since we don't have any native speakers here anymore, your guess is as good as mine.

The second act for Phidippus is already a great start, totally PL ok. I think compared with Laches, Phidippus is the more indulgent and soft father. You bring that out quite well. :thumbs:

Thank you

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

bluechien wrote: January 18th, 2019, 10:59 amIn case it's helpful to anyone, here's roughly how Google Latin translate would pronounce these: :hmm:
great research, Eva, thanks. Looking through the list, most of them I said the same way, but some I stressed on another syllable.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

And pronouncing things differently is just fine. People then had different countries of origin and different accents too. People had different names and nicknames used by family, co-workers, lovers, strangers.

All I ask is that a given reader is consistent in their files.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd