COMPLETE The Cooking Manual of Practical Directions for Economical Every-Day Cookery -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi JayKitty -

For Section 13 here is your feedback from the Spot PL - you had a bunch of feedback from Linny and you did a great job of getting all those numbers into the reading! Just a couple of items missed and some numbers that were out of sequence -

0:23 – The chapter # is recorded here. The initial post indicates the chapter title. In order to be consistent with other readers, please delete Chapter 12 - Chapter 2 still exists in the recording - please cut it out.
3:08 – slight stumble – from slow starvation - this stumble still exists - please cut it out.
4:48 – said 210 – Ripe Currents – should be 209 – Ripe Currents
5:00 – said 211 – Blackberry Jam – should be 210 – Blackberry Jam

Lynda
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Betty -

Section 6 is PL OK!

It is a pleasure listening to your recordings!

Lynda
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

Thank you, Lynda..
Your proofreading is much appreciated.

Betty
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Lmnei wrote: January 11th, 2019, 1:18 am Hi JayKitty -

For Section 13 here is your feedback from the Spot PL - you had a bunch of feedback from Linny and you did a great job of getting all those numbers into the reading! Just a couple of items missed and some numbers that were out of sequence -

0:23 – The chapter # is recorded here. The initial post indicates the chapter title. In order to be consistent with other readers, please delete Chapter 12 - Chapter 2 still exists in the recording - please cut it out.
3:08 – slight stumble – from slow starvation - this stumble still exists - please cut it out.
4:48 – said 210 – Ripe Currents – should be 209 – Ripe Currents
5:00 – said 211 – Blackberry Jam – should be 210 – Blackberry Jam

Lynda
Hi Lynda,
Thank you for the feedback. My trusty headphones just broke, so I may need to figure out how to record those new numbers. (I had an unimaginable time trying to record the right numbers in the right sequence them copy and paste them to the right spots..in the first place! :lol: )
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
Lmnei

Post by Lmnei »

Hi Ruth -

Here is the feedback for section 14 -

First, you have a hum in your recording that needs to be noise cleaned. As this hum is from the start of your recording I do not know if it is your microphone or your computer generating it. If you click on the magnifying glass on the tool bar on the right side of the Audacity window and expand your recording so that 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 shows across the top of the recording window you will see in the silent areas of your recording the line is fuzzy where it should be a straight line. That is the noise in your recording. When noise cleaning you should aim to get that line straighter.

After noise cleaning you might need to Amplify your recording to increase your voice volume to get it within the acceptable range for Librivox readings.

0:26 – When reading the Introduction below the Magic Window I heard – "Everyday cooking" however the introduction says “Every-Day Cookery
13:25 – stumble and repeat
14:46 – heard "white" text says "wire"
You need 5 seconds of silence at the end. Currently you have 3 so please add about 2 more seconds.

Has someone given you the link to a Checker Utility that was made for checking our recordings to see if they meet the specifications? Here is the link if you have not got it. https://cgjennings.ca/checker.html Once you have fixed these things in your recording try running your updated file through the Checker (you go to File and then browse to find where the file is located on your computer) and you should get a Pass. If you get a different status just look under the Validation tab to find out what needs to be fixed.

Let me know if you need any help!

Lynda
RuthP

Post by RuthP »

Thank you,
I will sort these issues out.

I did run it through the checker and it did give me a pass, even though I myself thought the volume may be a little too low.

Will try and work out where the hum is coming from as well. :D
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you both so much :thumbs:
Carolin
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

Here's section 13, ready for spot PL:

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/cookingmanual_13_corson_128kb.mp3

My headphones broke so I maneuvered the recording so I only recorded 1 bit...my headphone quality is absolutely TERRIBLE now.
(I just started a Solo project too, which is such a bummer...need to find new headphones!)
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
RuthP

Post by RuthP »

Am still working on mine, should be done by the end of this week. Had great trouble with the humming noise, I have not been able to noise clean it out.

When I do new test recordings, I don’t get the humming noise, so think it best I just re do the whole recording, in the hope that it was a one off.

Sorry for slowing this project down.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you both!

ruth, have you tried noisecleaning? it is very easy and will probably take care of this problem :)
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Noisecleaning_With_Pics
Carolin
RuthP

Post by RuthP »

Yes, I have tried noise cleaning as per the instructions, but it didn’t seem to help at all.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

youre right, i opened your recording in audacity and it looks like some kind of interference. when you record, can you see the waves? i always look at the track while i record to catch clipping etc. and this way you might be able to catch this immediately should it happen again.

im sorry that this went wrong!
Carolin
RuthP

Post by RuthP »

Thank you.

I will have another try at recording today.

Yesterday I did a short test recording to try and find the source of the humming, but didn’t get any this time. So hopefully it was a one off :)
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

:thumbs:
Carolin
RuthP

Post by RuthP »

I redid the recording and uploaded it

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/cookingmanual_14_corson_128kb.mp3

no humming noise now, but when I ran it through the checker it told me that my volume was too low.

so I went back to the recording in audacity, increased the volume, (using amplify) but checker is still telling me it is too low, in fact however much I increase the volume, (to the point even of it sounding too loud in audacity), the volume level in checker doesn't change... :(

what am I doing wrong now?

Thank you for your patience with me and sorry for all the bother that this is causing.