How to Stalk Your Friends on LibriVox

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I know this is going to seem way creepy, but I've recently discovered a new-to-me feature of our forums that I find oddly enjoyable. On the main page, you can scroll down to the bottom and click "Who is Online," and it will take you to a list of not only who is online, but what part of the forum they're accessing. :shock:

Right now we've got:
mightyfelix_________________Viewing who is online
Grothmann_________________Viewing topics in New Projects Launch Pad
Bing [Bot]__________________Index page
Google [Bot]________________Reading topic in Completed Projects
Annalisa56__________________Reading topic in Readers Found
Lucasoliveira________________Reading topic in Readers Wanted: Books
HannahMary________________Reading topic in Readers Wanted: Dramatic Works
Luckyaelita_________________Reading topic in New Projects Launch Pad
Kikisaulite__________________Index page
That first line makes me sound like such a creeper! :lol: But I've been occasionally checking it when I'm bored. It's kind of interesting to get an idea of how other people use the boards.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Kewl...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

I do that too!
Like you said, it's just fun to see what others are doing. :lol:
~ πš˜πš— πš‘πš’πšŠπšπšžπšœ ~
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

For those who find this too creepy (especially since the forum is wide open to the world), here's how to hide your online status:

When you're logged in, click the down arrow next to your forum name at the top right of the forum (just below the search box). Select User Control Panel. Click the "Board preferences" tab, then click Yes next to "Hide my online status."

When you're hidden, forum moderators will still be able to see your name in the list but others won't.
Laurie Anne
ej400

Post by ej400 »

I have actually always used it like it's a tool. For example, if I send someone a PM about something, and I notice they are online, I will see if I should stay online just a bit longer in case they are going to message me back. I'm the kind of person who wants to read everything as soon as possible, and must reply to things as soon as possible, so it helps me know if I should stay on just a bit longer to reply to a message. This way I know if they might be replying to what I said.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

ej400 wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 12:17 pm I have actually always used it like it's a tool. For example, if I send someone a PM about something, and I notice they are online, I will see if I should stay online just a bit longer in case they are going to message me back. I'm the kind of person who wants to read everything as soon as possible, and must reply to things as soon as possible, so it helps me know if I should stay on just a bit longer to reply to a message. This way I know if they might be replying to what I said.
Exactly!
I'm not a stalker... :lol:
Because what ej400 said is actually what I use it for, I just couldn't phrase it right.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

So right now we have...
JayKitty76 -Viewing who is online
Bing [Bot] -Reading topic in Completed Projects
Hypatia -Reading topic in Readers Found
JasmineF -Posting message in Listeners & Editors Wanted
DACSoft -Searching forums
hsparent55 -Reading topic in Going Solo
WiltedScribe -Index page
alphareadsbooks -Reading topic in Readers Wanted: Books
annise -Searching forums
ToddHW -Reading topic in Readers Wanted: Dramatic Works
craigdav1 -Searching forums
MajorToast -Reading topic in Readers Wanted: Dramatic Works
Google [Bot] -Reading topic in Suggestions, Comments, News & Discussion
ADKreader1122....
Since it looks like JasmineF is posting her 1-Minute Test in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum (at least that's what I think, anyway) I'll wait a few minutes then head on over to help her out! (If my assumptions are correct.)
That's what I use the Who Is Online tab for...
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 2:47 pm
ej400 wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 12:17 pm I have actually always used it like it's a tool. For example, if I send someone a PM about something, and I notice they are online, I will see if I should stay online just a bit longer in case they are going to message me back. I'm the kind of person who wants to read everything as soon as possible, and must reply to things as soon as possible, so it helps me know if I should stay on just a bit longer to reply to a message. This way I know if they might be replying to what I said.
Exactly!
Because what ej400 said is actually what I use it for, I just couldn't phrase it right.
Like ej400 and JayKitty76, I use Who Is Online as a tool to assist me in my Solo, Collaborative, and PL/DPL tasks, as well as general assistance in helping answer other LVer's questions more rapidly. I can't see how anyone could use the (limited) information in the list for nefarious purposes for 2 reasons:

1. If one is not logged in (Registered Users or anyone else), they can't access the Who Is Online link (at least in testing I've done).

2. If one is logged in, there is nothing in the list (IMO) that is sensitive or personal information; it's just a list of UserIDs and the forum the ID is accessing or certain other activities. LV does not have any X-rated or other anti-social forums or any that would cause embarrassment from the knowledge that a certain ID accessed a particular forum.

It's good that LV has the option to hide on-line status for those who may be paranoid in today's world. But I find it creepier when registered users are on a volunteer work site like LV, and hide their status from other workers while perusing or working on the site. There may be certain other legitimate reasons for hiding status or other (personal?) information, but don't understand how the on-line status list would be the driving reason to do so. :hmm:

FWIW,
Don
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
The Arrival of Jimpson; Baseball Joe in the World Series
Next up:
Two College Friends; Baseball Joe Around the World
ej400

Post by ej400 »

DACSoft wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 3:47 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: ↑January 14th, 2019, 2:47 pm
Exactly!
Like ej400 and JayKitty76, I use Who Is Online as a tool to assist me in my Solo, Collaborative, and PL/DPL tasks, as well as general assistance in helping answer other LVer's questions more rapidly. I can't see how anyone could use the (limited) information in the list for nefarious purposes for 2 reasons:

1. If one is not logged in (Registered Users or anyone else), they can't access the Who Is Online link (at least in testing I've done).

2. If one is logged in, there is nothing in the list (IMO) that is sensitive or personal information; it's just a list of UserIDs and the forum the ID is accessing or certain other activities. LV does not have any X-rated or other anti-social forums or any that would cause embarrassment from the knowledge that a certain ID accessed a particular forum.

It's good that LV has the option to hide on-line status for those who may be paranoid in today's world. But I find it creepier when registered users are on a volunteer work site like LV, and hide their status from other workers while perusing or working on the site. There may be certain other legitimate reasons for hiding status or other (personal?) information, but don't understand how the on-line status list would be the driving reason to do so. :hmm:

FWIW,
Don
Exactly Don. I mean, I like that the Who is Online feature isn't giving full view of what someone else is doing, it's just saying there are at blank location in the forum, doing such and such.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

You know what's always great? When you click 'show guests' under the Who Is Online tab, and you see: Guest- Registering account
One more volunteer has come to join us!
DerpFlavored

Post by DerpFlavored »

Oh. That's... Interesting
bruh:|