inserting correct text

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

Someone please help me! I have a chapter here that is overdue but I can't figure out how to insert the correct text into my chapter on audacity. I just got home from Samoa and have been battling the side effects of cancer and cancer treatment. My brain is foggy. It took me a few months just to figure out getting this far! Years and years if you consider how long I've been wanting to do this! Anyway, if someone has the time and patience to talk to me like a 3 year old, I would really appreciate it! lol

Sincerely,

Sia.
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Instead of re-telling the story using my broken English, I recommend PhilC's instructional videos. Since you already know some of it, you can probably skip to "Basic Editing" and "More Editing" sections of that page (the "basic" part is just above the "more").

Watch those videos, try your hand on some scrap audio, then ask specific questions here or in a new thread.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Cori

Post by Cori »

Welcome home, Sia ... both offline and to LibriVox. :9:

Have you let the BC (person who's managing the project that you've signed up for) know that you're working on the sections? Just checking, but , if not, it's good to do that first. :lol:

Hopefully the videos above, especially the More Editing one, will help you with your edits (inserting the correct text.)

ALSO, Phil offered back in November to do a custom video for you using your file -- and probably that offer is still open if it would be helpful. Just drop him a note and ask (or he might reply here too ... who knows ... Image) He's really good at explaining things like you're a 3 year old, without treating you like a 3 year old :mrgreen: :thumbs:
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Cori wrote: January 14th, 2019, 1:11 pm Welcome home, Sia ... both offline and to LibriVox. :9:

Have you let the BC (person who's managing the project that you've signed up for) know that you're working on the sections? Just checking, but , if not, it's good to do that first. :lol:

Hopefully the videos above, especially the More Editing one, will help you with your edits (inserting the correct text.)

ALSO, Phil offered back in November to do a custom video for you using your file -- and probably that offer is still open if it would be helpful. Just drop him a note and ask (or he might reply here too ... who knows ... Image) He's really good at explaining things like you're a 3 year old, without treating you like a 3 year old :mrgreen: :thumbs:
Yes I certainly am! (And thank you Cori for that compliment. I identify so well with that confused feeling and that it seems easy for me to work on that level.) Please notify your BC and we will help you. Be calm, be patient. You have enough on your plate to have worry about a recording add to your problems. :thumbs:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

You're both wonderful! :D THANK YOU! I did let her know that I'm working on it and Phil thank you so much for offering to make a video just for me! That's so generous. I wish I had seen the message, but I just figured out how to see all the replies to my posts. :lol:

That tutorial was so perfect! I got it! I figured out how to insert the correct words! :clap: But now the problem is that my replacement words do not sound anything like the rest of the recording! I'm in a large room now and before I was in a smaller room. Is that going to be a problem? I really hope I don't have to rerecord the whole thing! :shock:
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It is a common problem even if corrections are recorded in the same room. Our voices do change depending on how tired we are, what we ate, how thirsty we are, etc.

If you can, try to make your edits in the same surroundings as you did your recording. Listen to your recording and try to match your manner, your intonation. Do more than one take and pick the best fitting...
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

SiaBoBia wrote: January 15th, 2019, 8:28 am You're both wonderful! :D THANK YOU! I did let her know that I'm working on it and Phil thank you so much for offering to make a video just for me! That's so generous. I wish I had seen the message, but I just figured out how to see all the replies to my posts. :lol:

That tutorial was so perfect! I got it! I figured out how to insert the correct words! :clap: But now the problem is that my replacement words do not sound anything like the rest of the recording! I'm in a large room now and before I was in a smaller room. Is that going to be a problem? I really hope I don't have to rerecord the whole thing! :shock:
Glad you figured it out. About the voice change don't worry yourself. The person listening to your recording will hardly notice a phrase or sentence that we think sounds so different. Just keep telling the story. Sure, it 's best to get it kinda close if at all possible but I've never, ever had anyone make any comment about the change in my voice and I've recorded with a cold, in different rooms, different microphones, the flu, etc. WE hear the difference but the story is what counts. My 2 cents. Keep recording and having fun.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

fabulous thank you!!! My computer keeps logging me in automatically when I'm trying to sign in to librivox to upload my chapter. It says I've tried to login too many times. :hmm:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
kayray

Post by kayray »

Also, in the future, it's usually better to re-record an entire sentence (or paragraph) rather than a single word. :)

Take care of yourself!!!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

I finished it!!! I'm so happy. that was so hard. lol. :thumbs: Thank you everyone for your support!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Great job toughing it out and getting done! :clap: It will get easier and easier every time. :D