Finding Solo Works (texts to record)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Hello All!

For awhile now, I've been considering completing my first solo work here.
I've looked, of course, through Project Gutenberg, but THAT can be absolutely overwhelming.

What I'm seeking is a 3-5 hour project in fantasy, gothic fiction, horror, mythology or short story genres; I daresay those written in American Southern voice would be most effective, but that search criteria may be too specific.

My question: does anyone have any tips, clues or advice on finding PD works (preferably that have not already been shared on LV) by length/word count?

How have you discovered books for your own first solo project?

I appreciate everyone's help!

Regards,
~Angelique
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Calculating the approximate length of the project can be done by multiplying the number of pages by 2 to 3 minutes, depending on your reading style (and you can time yourself easily, too). So, 4 hour (240 minute) project with 2.5 minutes per page should be about 100 pages long...

I picked my solos ahead of time: I want to record Russian classics of the XIX century, and I am pretty certain that there are more books than I shall have time. Chipping away from that huge mountain little by little... Oh, and if there is a translation that hasn't been done yet, I'd probably do them in parallel, if I can. Or sequentially... 8-)
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, tovarisch!

The word count by page is good information. I hadn't calculated it quite like that, but it makes good sense and is well targeted to my 140 word per minute reading speed.

It looks, then, as if finding works in which I'm interested and then checking through each one to find those at 150 pages or so may be the only way to go. (But wouldn't it be lovely if PD sites listed the books by page count? *Smile* Nice dream!)

Ahhh, I'm always so impressed by linguists. Lately, I've wondered by I suddenly can't even speak English, my only language. *Laugh*

Good luck with your projects and thank you for taking the time to answer!
~Angelique
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Of course if they are children's picture books, the word count per page is much lower. And many of the 19th century books pack more words in per page. And then there are illustrations ......

Anne
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, Anne!
I've just finished four 5000+ word (so about 9,000 syllable :lol: ) sections, so would like something more along those lines, but you provide great suggestions.
I may have to re-think and find a 5-7 hour project.
By asking this question, I'm honing in on the "perfect" first solo work; I appreciate your contribution.
~Angelique
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Why not wait till you find something you really care about and continue picking up chapters in group projects? You might find an author you really enjoy reading aloud
There is no rush - and your solo will sound better if you enjoy the book and be much more fun.

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I'd browse the Book Suggestions forum. There are numerous suggestions there that have still never been adopted. Sometimes the person who originally suggested the book will also include information on length.
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, MightyFelix! (BTW, I enjoyed you on the PD podcast!)
That's a good idea.
I've also been combing through the Unrecorded Horror Story thread; I THOUGHT I had found one, but *sigh* ... it's clearly set in London and my British accent is dreadfully weak.
The search continues.
~Angelique
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, if I had to have a matching accent for everything I've recorded, I'd only have about 3 things in the catalogue! :lol:

I understand if you feel that, for artistic realism, you'd like to be able to use a genuine(ish) accent, but please don't feel that it's necessary! I've also recorded a few things written with a male first-person narrator. I'm sure there are those who may feel it's not quite right, but no one has ever complained! :wink:
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks!
I think if chapters weren't actually titled "London" and "Return to London" I'd feel a little more comfortable, but ...
I WILL now reconsider!

I appreciate your encouragement. *Smile*
~Angelique
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

You know what?
I LOVE that book and I'm going to do it!

Thanks, all!
~Angelique
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

BurgundyGrace wrote: January 14th, 2019, 1:20 am You know what?
I LOVE that book and I'm going to do it!

Thanks, all!
:clap:
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Yay! Record away and don't worry about trying to fit an accent to the book. I certainly don't!

Before I saw that you'd chosen your solo, I was going to mention that I'm also an American Southerner and I've found F. Scott Fitzgerald's stories easy to read aloud. They seem to fit my natural speech pattern better than, say, Sherlock Holmes stories (which I've also happily recorded in full Southern US-accented glory). Have fun recording!
Laurie Anne
Cori

Post by Cori »

You could also try checking out local library websites, as they might have events/blog posts which relate to olde local authors (remember, we need stories/books published in or before 1923 though) ... they might not be the biggest names, but will sound amazing in (something like) their own accent. :D
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
BurgundyGrace

Post by BurgundyGrace »

Thanks, Laurie Anne!
A couple of months ago, I checked to see if Fitzgerald's work had been done here, and discovered that the 3-4 stories I was looking at were catalogued.
*Smile* Now, I think that was probably your narration.
There are likely stories I missed and will likely circle back around to find them, due to your suggesiton.

You have now roused my curiousity. Is there a completed project that you're especially pleased with?
I'd like to hear more of you!

Ohhhh, most of my recordings here are set in distant lands (I decided that Khaled, a Tale of Arabia was set in SOUTH Arabia :lol:)

Now it's part of my self-challenge to learn to carry a dialect throughout recordings, but *THANK YOU* for your encouragement.
I will use natural accent for this book; in my test run, it works okay. *wink*

What a wonderful new year it shall be when Flannery O'Connor and Tennesse Williams are added to the PD! *GRIN*
~Angelique