Samuel L Brengle books - new source in first post!

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Elizabby wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:36 pm PS - I've just realised that this is an all-women project (so far at least) with you, me and Patty as our DPL! No fellow men yet! ;)
Hmm, this can mean one of two things.

Either A) : It's slipped your mind :wink: that when discussion was taking place originally, I expressed an interest in Chapter 6. "Fight the Good Fight of Faith";

Or B): The Ladies-of-Librivox have declared me an Honorary Woman. In which case I hope I can live up to it. :mrgreen:

I didn't really follow all the discussion above. (See Acts 2:4). So, I gather the project is good to go now?

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Your claim is on the project page which is at present waiting till the scanned PD copy is available to use. When that happens it will come out of hiding.
I moved it as conducting the same conversation over multiple threads is very confusing :D

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 13th, 2019, 7:51 pm The Ladies-of-Librivox have declared me an Honorary Woman. In which case I hope I can live up to it. :mrgreen:

After the Parlour Maid, I think we can allow this.
I didn't really follow all the discussion above. (See Acts 2:4). So, I gather the project is good to go now?
Not quite. Even though we checked the text of my book against these files, they're still problematic. I've photographed each page of the book and am in the process of grooming them for upload to archive. Soon. Very soon.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 13th, 2019, 7:51 pm
Elizabby wrote: January 13th, 2019, 4:36 pm PS - I've just realised that this is an all-women project (so far at least) with you, me and Patty as our DPL! No fellow men yet! ;)
Hmm, this can mean one of two things.

Either A) : It's slipped your mind :wink: that when discussion was taking place originally, I expressed an interest in Chapter 6. "Fight the Good Fight of Faith";

Or B): The Ladies-of-Librivox have declared me an Honorary Woman. In which case I hope I can live up to it. :mrgreen:
It was actually A, and also I can't see the project thread at the moment as the project isn't quite ready to roll.

But as for B, if the cap fits, happy for you to wear it! Pink or white lace suit you better?
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Elizabby wrote: January 13th, 2019, 9:47 pm Pink or white lace suit you better?
If Coco Chanel could wear white after Labor Day, why can’t I? :wink:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Ok, it took a long time, mostly because (I guess) I uploaded the wrong format or some such over a week ago. But I've been trying to tweak some things today, and from here it looks like the scan is ready at archive:

https://archive.org/details/helpstoholiness_zip/

A few of the pages came out fuzzier than I'd like, but I think it's still passable.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Wow! 170 pages! Thank you so much for finding this book and scanning it for us!

Now I just need to get my project thread back!

And you get first pick of chapters to read - or you can DPL if you like?
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I moved the thread back to the launch pad for you

Anne
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: January 25th, 2019, 3:43 am Wow! 170 pages! Thank you so much for finding this book and scanning it for us!

Now I just need to get my project thread back!

And you get first pick of chapters to read - or you can DPL if you like?
I believe pattymarie already volunteered to DPL again, but I just claimed a few in the project thread. :)
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Great! We are go - I just need a MW...
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

And there's this one from Archive, but it only says 1923 as a publication date: https://archive.org/details/LoveSlaves
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Elizabby wrote: April 18th, 2019, 10:43 pm And there's this one from Archive, but it only says 1923 as a publication date: https://archive.org/details/LoveSlaves
I rather doubt if this will be usable, either. I'm not sure where you're seeing a publication date, but I don't find it. There's no publication date given on the archive page (which, I believe, we don't always trust anyway), and I don't see one within the ebook, either. The only instance of 1923 I can see is at the end of the foreword, which General Booth dates as "London, July, 1923." But that's not a publication date, though.

There is a website given at the back of the book: "For more eBooks visit www.LWBC.co.uk" I visited this site and found the following disclaimer:
Whilst Living Word Bible Church makes every attempt to ensure these publications are in the public domain and thus free from copyright, it is your responsibility to check the laws in your own country prior to downloading them. Please inform us directly if you, as the author or publisher of a listed book, feel that copyright has been broken and we will quickly remove it. Contact us here.
Living Word Bible Church offers these books in good faith. We do not and never will charge for these volumes.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

The first edition was published in 1923, I know that. The problem is that most of the online copies seem to be derived from either the 1960 3rd edition or the 1978 Salvation Army reprint.

That disclaimer from LWBC just doesn't guarantee anything - I don't think it asserts a new copyright.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

https://www.worldcat.org/title/love-slaves/oclc/814423571?referer=di&ht=edition&fbclid=IwAR0BtqsZpPbkY5fvK_b3EZGtS85mV6OmAUt2KWC18lmh97R67b7zrcTKHas

I'm thinking of writing to some of these universities in the list, who have the 1923 edition, and asking if they have an electronic format, or would be willing to scan the book and make the scan available. I'm not sure what kind of a reception I'd get to such a request, though. I do have a friend who works at a university library (not one of these), and I've asked her advice on how to phrase my request.
elsieselwyn

Post by elsieselwyn »

mightyfelix wrote: April 28th, 2019, 4:06 pm https://www.worldcat.org/title/love-slaves/oclc/814423571?referer=di&ht=edition&fbclid=IwAR0BtqsZpPbkY5fvK_b3EZGtS85mV6OmAUt2KWC18lmh97R67b7zrcTKHas

I'm thinking of writing to some of these universities in the list, who have the 1923 edition, and asking if they have an electronic format, or would be willing to scan the book and make the scan available. I'm not sure what kind of a reception I'd get to such a request, though. I do have a friend who works at a university library (not one of these), and I've asked her advice on how to phrase my request.
Hi! So I'm a undergraduate student at a state school in Ohio so I can request books through OhioLINK, a system of interlibrary loan among Ohio universities for students. I looked through OhioLINK and there is an edition of Love-Slaves published in 1923. I requested it and it should be mailed to the nearest library near me (I don't know how long it would take, but it should be fairly efficient ~a couple weeks most likely). I can then scan it (or maybe just take pictures of the pages if it’s very fragile so I don’t damage it while scanning) and upload the images wherever you want me to. Would that work? It would save you the trouble of writing to other libraries.
Elsie :9:
Like Sweden and coming of age stories? Read for Pelle the Conqueror
Like travelogues and Anthony Trollope? Read for The West Indies and the Spanish Main
Shadowland: October, 1919