COMPLETE[PLAY] The Country Wife by William Wycherley - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Phiona227

Post by Phiona227 »

I would like to read stage direction for act 1-4 for "The Gay Lord Quex": Servant
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Phiona227 wrote: December 14th, 2018, 11:45 am I would like to read stage direction for act 1-4 for "The Gay Lord Quex": Servant
You can claim the stage directions here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=71425

(By the way, the Servant is a separate role, so be sure to specify your claim more clearly).
Tomas Peter
Phiona227

Post by Phiona227 »

i would like to claim narrator for country wife
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Phiona227 wrote: December 20th, 2018, 6:30 am i would like to claim narrator for country wife
Alright Phiona, I will sign you up for now, with the caveat that it is a big role and could be overwhelming to a first-timer. You are allowed to change your mind if you find it is too much to handle right now. To make it easier, I'll give you some tips and recommendations.

- In Act 1, the narrator needs to introduce the preliminary materials that begin the play: the prologue and the Dramatis Personae. You don't need to read the prologue (that's someone else's responsibility), but you do need to read the character list, in case someone doesn't hand in their credit. After every character, you would need to say "read by..." and leave a space of 5 seconds. For instance: "Margery Pinchwife, read by..." and then 5 seconds before you move on to the next character. Don't forget to include your own voice credit, which would be "Narrator, read by Phiona Green," or even "and narrated by Phiona Green" if it makes more sense.

- The narrator reads basically anything that isn't spoken by a character, like scene introductions, the people who enter and exit the stage, the way lines are conveyed, and so forth. You are essentially narrating what cannot be conveyed visually. The only things you don't need to read are character lines and character names before their lines, with one major exception, which I'll note below.

- It is important you leave space between each stage direction, ideally 5 seconds. The editor will cut and paste character dialogue between these silences, so the bigger they are, the better.

- if a stage direction occurs at the start of a character's line, then you need to read both their name and the direction. For instance, the play begins with "Horn. [Aside.] A quack is as fit for a pimp..." Here, instead of just staying "Aside," you would need to say "Horner, aside," because that way the listener knows who the aside is attributed to. Also, take care to read the character names in full, and not simply the abbreviations (i.e. you'd say "Horner" instead of "Horn"). If it helps, make a list of the characters and their corresponding abbreviations as a "cheat sheet" of sorts to make it easier.

- When an act ends, don't forget the final outro: "End of Act #," replacing the # with whichever act number it is. Obviously, the LibriVox disclaimers (as outlined in the very first post) are mandatory for the beginning of each file. They are actually mandatory for nearly everything you will submit here, so please get acquainted with them now.

- Finally, you're welcome to add some personality to this role if you'd like. For instance, if a stage direction signals a character to cry, you can read it in a kind of sympathetic or pitying voice. If a direction signals someone to act frightened, you can read it in your own spooked inflection, and so on. Despite being the only person who is not "acting," you're still allowed to have fun! :D

I think that may be all for now. My DPL, who will listen to your files when they are ready and point out corrections, may like to add something I haven't covered, as you'll be working with her the most. Otherwise, whenever you're ready to record, go for it!
Tomas Peter
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: December 20th, 2018, 11:38 pm Harcourt completed.
sorry for letting you wait so long, but I finally got around to Harcourt. Excellent job. I think Jim of the Hills was a good training camp for you :mrgreen: I love that do such a different, softer voice in almost all the speeches you are having with Alithea, while when with the men, you try to butch it up as much as you can. :thumbs: It makes a great contrast here. Absolutely well played out. You can add "romantic lover" to your repertoire. 8-)

All acts PL ok apart for a missing ALL scene in act 1.

> at about 3:13: All. Ha! ha! ha!

Thanks for trying this out, Chris.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yay, thank you Leanne, Alithea sounds really great. Very sober and dutiful, especially in the beginning, but one can see a learning curve in her character by the end of Act 5. Nicely portrayed.

Both Acts PL ok.

Only one note, concerning the voice credit, please include the entire description: "Alithea, sister of Pinchwife" in one of the other acts you haven't uploaded yet.

Thanks, looking forward to the rest.

Have a good start in the new year.

Sonia
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

Hve just recorded my remainign Alithea lines! Will post today.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Thank you, Leanne!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

wonderfully done, Leanne, and all PL ok. :clap: Alithea has quite a lot of comedy on her side and you manage to bring this across quite well. It's an excellent characterization. Great job, thanks !

Sonia
jonathanhartwell

Post by jonathanhartwell »

Hi, I'd like to claim the role of Pinchwife. I think I'll give the '77 play a look too. Who doesn't want to see a young Helen Mirren...or old? At any age, she's a bombshell! :D
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

jonathanhartwell wrote: January 14th, 2019, 12:53 pm Hi, I'd like to claim the role of Pinchwife. I think I'll give the '77 play a look too. Who doesn't want to see a young Helen Mirren...or old? At any age, she's a bombshell! :D
Wonderful! Welcome aboard! :) And yes, the 1977 version is worth taking a look at so you have a feel for the comic styling of Restoration comedy. Helen Mirren only sweetens the deal. :P
Tomas Peter
MajorToast

Post by MajorToast »

May I claim Dorilant?