COMPLETE[PLAY]Mrs. Pretty and The Premier by Arthur Adams - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 12th, 2019, 6:59 pm Wow. What an emotional roller-coaster! From schemer to victim to schemer again and then repeat all over again. You are so obviously in charge of every scene here. Wonderfully played! I look forward to Act 3! PL OK - and I did not hear any audio quality problems so you must have fixed everything.
thank you, Todd, this amply rewards me for all the trouble I have been in yesterday :9:

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

MajorToast wrote: January 12th, 2019, 7:35 pm Dammit I knew I should have read the whole thing first. ( reluctantly reads on ) If it's ok, I want to use my REAL name in the credits. Vernon Harrington read by Ken Harrington.
:shock: what a coincidence in the name ! I'm looking forward to our dialogue together :D

Sonia
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Uh-oh, “A military bearing”, as the tank drive-train mechanic said.

The Premier may have his work cut out for him. :shock:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd: I just realized that Bristed has NO speaking line at all, he only appears shortly and disappears again without a word. So we can delete that part and that means we're fully claimed !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Also, if I may propose a correction to the teaser in the first post: "The Premier has decided that being married would be good for his image" - this is technically not entirely true. The reason is more: "After a nightly encounter with an unknown lady, Premier Power is facing a potentially scandalous article in a daily paper which might lose him the bye-election. In order to avoid all this trouble, he is now hard-pressed to find the lady in question and persuade her to marry him."

Or something to that effect. Or is that too much of a spoiler ?

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 13th, 2019, 5:28 am Also, if I may propose a correction to the teaser in the first post: "The Premier has decided that being married would be good for his image" - this is technically not entirely true. The reason is more: "After a nightly encounter with an unknown lady, Premier Power is facing a potentially scandalous article in a daily paper which might lose him the bye-election. In order to avoid all this trouble, he is now hard-pressed to find the lady in question and persuade her to marry him."

Or something to that effect. Or is that too much of a spoiler ?

Sonia
I think that what you propose is too much of a spoiler - you don't learn about that until Act 2 and I certainly was surprised what I learned when PL'ing your files. Similarly, I decided not to say something about how Mrs Pretty would do anything to save her beloved ranch. I prefer using the quotes I used - misleading as they may be, they are technically true and do provide some insight into The Premier's character while giving nothing away. (I also avoided the temptation to comment upon the PC-ness of the situation or compare it with contemporary politics and news reporting....)

By the way, there are two other plays by Adams in the same book - maybe we should look at them too!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 13th, 2019, 6:49 amBy the way, there are two other plays by Adams in the same book - maybe we should look at them too!
if they're all as good, we definitely should.

You're right about the spoiler...even though all this is already discussed in Act 1 as well.

working on Act 3 now.

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Pretty Part 3. Behind every Premier stands a cunning woman. :mrgreen: Poor Mr Harrington, I almost felt sorry for him.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_pretty_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 11:35 min.

BTW I realized the telling names only just now....Power was quite obvious for the man in chief, but Mrs Pretty's name is Helen (as in the Greek beauty: Pretty Helen ! :shock: ) I'm sure this name was not a coincidence either. (sometimes I'm a bit slow on realization LOL let's hope I'm not the only one here)

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Will also have Vyce - vice, and Lukin - look in...

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 13th, 2019, 9:12 am Will also have Vyce - vice, and Lukin - look in...
:shock: I feel like a dummy !

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 13th, 2019, 8:57 am Pretty Part 3. Behind every Premier stands a cunning woman. :mrgreen: Poor Mr Harrington, I almost felt sorry for him.

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_pretty_3_128kb.mp3
Recording time: 11:35 min.

BTW I realized the telling names only just now....Power was quite obvious for the man in chief, but Mrs Pretty's name is Helen (as in the Greek beauty: Pretty Helen ! :shock: ) I'm sure this name was not a coincidence either. (sometimes I'm a bit slow on realization LOL let's hope I'm not the only one here)

Sonia
Act 3 also PL OK. You wicked schemer, you! There should be a sequel to this play - I'd like to see how the pair of you are getting along in a few months or years!

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 13th, 2019, 9:33 amThere should be a sequel to this play - I'd like to see how the pair of you are getting along in a few months or years!
I'm sure the sequel will be called: The Premier and Mr Power :mrgreen: I'm sure Mrs Pretty won't need long to take over.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you!

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 13th, 2019, 10:57 am
ToddHW wrote: January 13th, 2019, 9:33 amThere should be a sequel to this play - I'd like to see how the pair of you are getting along in a few months or years!
I'm sure the sequel will be called: The Premier and Mr Power :mrgreen: I'm sure Mrs Pretty won't need long to take over.

Sonia
Hmmmmm.