Samuel L Brengle books - new source in first post!

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

From this sample, it looks to me that the epub download from archive is an exact match.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That's great! Thanks so much Devorah, for all your work on this!

So if the ePub download from Archive is a match and we can do the one book from there - does that mean all 6 in the collection can also be used? They are all grouped together in the Kindle collection.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Did Devorah check with the SixKindleBooks Archive link, or the https://archive.org/download/HelpsToHoliness one? I'm guessing the second - since the first dosn't have an epub link.

You're going to have trouble getting readers to access the epub version. They'd have to have a device that supports that format. :hmm:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: December 22nd, 2018, 4:48 pm Did Devorah check with the SixKindleBooks Archive link, or the https://archive.org/download/HelpsToHoliness one? I'm guessing the second - since the first dosn't have an epub link.

You're going to have trouble getting readers to access the epub version. They'd have to have a device that supports that format. :hmm:
Yes, I checked this link you've included, Tricia. I'm not actually sure what Kindle collection Beth is referring to.

Yes, it's unfortunate that epub isn't as convenient a format. Overdrive can read it. That's what I used. I'm not sure what else. Like I said, if I need to, I can scan the whole book, but I want to avoid it if possible. Already, in scanning the first chapter, one page came loose. :(
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Could someone take the ePub version and convert it to another format?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Probably. https://www.zamzar.com/convert/epub-to-pdf/

I'm not at home right now, or I'd try it.

EDIT: (There are several other online services we could try, not just this one. I chose one at random from the Google results. :wink: )
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

This is probably my preferred text source (PDF) if it matches: https://www.whdl.org/helps-holiness

Or this is the "Six Kindle books" collection - if this one matched, would we be able to argue that all of them would be usable? All these books were published in the 1800's, so there's no issue with the original copyrights.

https://archive.org/details/SixKindleBooksBySamuelLoganBrengle
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Also, I've just noticed that the link in my signature doesn't work - do I need to relaunch the project, or was it saved somewhere? It doesn't appear to have been moved to "Book Suggestions"...

Now that we have a suitable online text source (probably more than one) I was hoping to get to work on the chapter headings, as this is quite a long book...
Last edited by Elizabby on January 13th, 2019, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Elizabby wrote: January 13th, 2019, 12:04 am This is probably my preferred text source (PDF) if it matches: https://www.whdl.org/helps-holiness
It does match, as far as I can see. The text is word for word the same (complete with "borne" in the old-fashioned spelling.) The only difference seems to be a scanning error, or possibly autocorrect as there is an extra period before "Him" in one line (presumably because of the capital letter throwing off the computer.) And this is a PDF, so should be generally accessible.

The "Six Kindle books" link also has an exact match for the text, (no extra period). However, it is in a strange format which my computer doesn't appear to like very much - took me three goes to get it to open. If I'm going to BC this project, I'd prefer a format which opens reliably for me! (I don't have a Kindle, so I'm converting the file, which is causing problems...)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I will compare it with the rest of the book (or as much as is reasonable) when I get the chance. Past my bedtime now. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Since I only scanned a bit of the introduction, I thought maybe I should check against some part of the book proper. There are a few differences, mostly things like punctuation or capitalization that wouldn't matter in an audio book anyway. However, there are quite a few Scripture references given in your WHDL source that I don't have in my book. Some are present; most are not. For instance, in chapter 4, I counted four Scripture references given within parentheses in the book. In the PDF, I counted 30. :?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This is beyond my pay grade. I'm going to call in some help.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: January 13th, 2019, 12:17 pm This is beyond my pay grade. I'm going to call in some help.
:lol: I don't blame you. I am actually considering scanning the whole thing and putting it on archive. It would probably wreck the remaining binding, but then we'd have a reliable electronic version, and so would anyone else who wanted it. I might even be able to find someone who'd re-bind it afterwards.

I was able to convert the epub file to PDF. I've put it on my google drive and made it shareable, so this should be an easy version for anyone to access. But the formatting is a bit wonky here and there. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zQXOfjy8V3lxDBEXHghElmhtbwjIySkQ
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Putting your edition on Archive would eliminate the uncertainty about PD-ness. :hmm:

One suggestion, if you do it, is to take digital photos of the pages rather than scan them. Yes, scanning will give you a cleaner image, but I burned out our scanner's light bulb doing that on a book!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: January 13th, 2019, 12:39 pm One suggestion, if you do it, is to take digital photos of the pages rather than scan them. Yes, scanning will give you a cleaner image, but I burned out our scanner's light bulb doing that on a book!
Good to know!