The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

And the microphone is a blue Snowball Ice.
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Have you tried looking at the Blue's website? Have others ever reported Snowballs giving them similar troubles?

When I mentioned your keyboard or mouse I meant it in response to your statement about Audacity's "galloping out of control", not about the clicks.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

tovarisch wrote: January 6th, 2019, 11:46 am
Piotrek81 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 11:11 am
ToddHW wrote: Audacity will NOT recognize something plugged in AFTER Audacity is started. So you have to plug things in and then start Audacity. A nuisance when you are trying to solve problems...
I realize this. :) Unfourtunately, that's not it. Maybe it's a sign that I need a new mike. I have used this one for several years.
It takes two main subsystems to record - the mic and the computer. Can you try your mic on a different computer?
I just did. No mic detected on the second laptop either.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Sorry about your loss, Piotrek. :( At least you know that your computer and Audacity are (likely) OK.
tovarisch
MerryShari

Post by MerryShari »

My recordings are turning out with the volume being too low. I have the microphone slider all the way to the right. I noticed that there is a Gain slider to the left of the waveform. It is set at the center. Should I nudge it a bit to the right? Will that help my volume?

Thanks for your help!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You could either simply amplify all your recordings, or you could try the gain slider. I'm no expert with the gain slider, so I could be wrong. But IMO, the problems with the gain slider are:
- You cannot see or test how high it goes. The gain (I think) only applies to the exported file.
- You could cause clipping (going over maximum, causing distortion) without knowing it.

Feel free to experiment with it if you like, but I'd think amplifying would give you more control over the results.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
md9999

Post by md9999 »

The recommendation is to "save often" when reading.
Does this mean, you export the file as an mp3 each time you save, or is there another way of saving (?project).

Do you suggest saving it as an increment of the previously saved recording, i.e recording_version_01, recording_version_02 etc?
If I do the latter, it seems I need to open the "new" file separately as the older file seems to still be displayed in audacity.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

md9999 wrote: January 26th, 2019, 5:30 pm The recommendation is to "save often" when reading.
Does this mean, you export the file as an mp3 each time you save, or is there another way of saving (?project).

Do you suggest saving it as an increment of the previously saved recording, i.e recording_version_01, recording_version_02 etc?
If I do the latter, it seems I need to open the "new" file separately as the older file seems to still be displayed in audacity.
I just save over the aup file. Often! It is quick and easy and always works for me. Then after I finish editing it I export it as an MP3. In other words my MP3 files are always completely edited and ready to go. (Then I do I little tap dance and smile happily before uploading it.)
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
md9999

Post by md9999 »

How do you save over the aup file? What do you click?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Click on the menu File -> Save Project -> Save Project, or simply press Ctrl+S. 8-)
tovarisch
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Yep. exactly what Tovarisch said. Every time I stop to get a drink or answer the phone I Contrl+S and save that file. :D
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
md9999

Post by md9999 »

Excellent. Thank you!
SiaBoBia

Post by SiaBoBia »

Hi!

My mic is fine, so I think it's an audacity problem!! My voice is not being recorded at the higher frequencies and so my voice sounds tinny and hollow.

Anyone have advice on how to fix this?

Thanks!
Sia
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

It can be Audacity, but hard to know with so little information. I replied to your other thread, let's continue there.
tovarisch
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

yesterday I had a problem with Audacity which I never had before. After about 1 and a half minutes of recording, the waves simply stop going on although the recording button still seems to be on.

Twice I stopped reading and the second time I tried to copy/paste what I had so far into the first recording. That's when I noticed, when I pressed the copy button, all of a sudden a minute or so more of waves popped up. It was the part where the recording was still running but the Waves where not showing, so that means, Audacity was recording after all.

Now I hope the problem is solved with a reboot today, because I feel uncomfortable not seeing the waves. Can I really be sure that it will be recording when I don't see them. This time it did, but I wouldn't want to read for half an hour only to see in the end it didn't record. :?

Anyone had this problem before ?

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.