COMPLETE Human Nature and Conduct - Part 2: The Place of Impulse in Conduct, by John Dewey - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
msfry
Posts: 5385
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 9th, 2019, 9:48 am

Human Nature and Conduct - Part 2 (of 4): The Place of Impulse In Conduct, by John Dewey (1859 - 1952).

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/human-nature-and-conduct-part-2-the-place-of-impulse-in-conduct-by-john-dewey/
Part 2 describes Dewey's concept of IMPULSES. They encompass the interaction of one's self with the environment. When the environment encounters problems with one's HABITS, Impulses are the motivating, innate forces which prompt one to modify habits and/or modify the environment. "Nature vs Nurture" explanations of someone's personality are deceptive and fallacious. This stems from the human inclination to CLASSIFY things - practically everything!

Innate behaviors are a collection of habits which one's culture has solidified as Customs. Most education is not learning but rather training of one's habits to harmonize with local customs. Human nature is plastic, malleable. Customs are, almost by definition, rigid. And, because one's environment is always changing, customs and its supporting habits are continually being tested. Nations disintegrate when their customs grow inflexible.

A MORAL ACT is one whose effects are fine tune and reorganize habits. Thought arises then when habits are hindered and only impulses are active.

The basic motor of human nature and conduct is HABIT, not reason or innate instinctive drives. In Dewey's theories of education, he asserts that education should be leading youth away from society's dysfunctional habits. He decries the fact that our economic theories concentrate on OWNERSHIP of things rather than the ways we USE things. (Summary by William Allan Jones, Soloist)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/41386
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): Special: Standard plus read along with the text and notate any significant discrepancies. Reader welcomes crits and comments.

    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!


    Magic Window:



    BC Admin .
    .
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2 (of 4): The Place of Impulse In Conduct.
      Section # Section title (as it appears in the MW)
      This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
      Section # Section title

      For the second and all subsequent sections, reader will use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:

      Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2 (of 4): The Place of Impulse In Conduct.
      Section # Section Title (as it appears in the MW)
      This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section #]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Human Nature and Conduct, Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct, by John Dewey. "

    There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename humannatureandconduct2_##_dewey_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. humannatureandconduct2_01_dewey_128kb.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Artist: John Dewey
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Album: Human Nature and Conduct, Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct

    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Rapunzelina
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below, or contact via PM:
Soloist: William Jones
MC: Rapunzelina
BC: Michele Fry (msfry)
DPL:
Cover Claim: Michele Fry
Last edited by msfry on January 30th, 2019, 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7607
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » January 12th, 2019, 5:55 am

Hello, Michele! Let me MC this one! I'll go get us a Magic Window!

PS: I've also pre-claimed the cover for you.

msfry
Posts: 5385
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 12th, 2019, 7:48 am

Ah! Thanks. I'll get the MW filled in today, and Bill has the first 3 sections finished already, I think. The cover will be based on the others in the series. All we need is a DPL. :D
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

williamjones
Posts: 574
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 12th, 2019, 8:09 am

Yaaaay!
The 7 sections are all recorded and I'll be uploading them very soon - after the preliminary proof listening.
Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
This year thousands of men will die from stubbornness.
{NO WE WON'T !!}

williamjones
Posts: 574
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 12th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_01_dewey_128kb.mp3 13:34

The ice is broken!
I might have some redundant text in the Intro, following the instructions in the MW.
Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
This year thousands of men will die from stubbornness.
{NO WE WON'T !!}

msfry
Posts: 5385
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 12th, 2019, 6:55 pm

williamjones wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Uploaded

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_01_dewey_128kb.mp3 13:34

The ice is broken!
I might have some redundant text in the Intro, following the instructions in the MW.
If you have a problem with the instructions I set up in the MW, please let me know. We should get that straight before asking anyone to proof listen your files.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 7607
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » January 13th, 2019, 5:34 am

I've moved us to "Going Solo" forum

williamjones
Posts: 574
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 15th, 2019, 9:03 am

Uploaded HNAC Part 2 Section 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_02_dewey_128kb.mp3 25:39

I notice that Part 2 Section 1 which I uploaded yesterday does not show "Ready for PL" in the magic window.
Is there something I have failed to do?
Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
This year thousands of men will die from stubbornness.
{NO WE WON'T !!}

msfry
Posts: 5385
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 15th, 2019, 9:24 am

williamjones wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 9:03 am
Uploaded HNAC Part 2 Section 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_02_dewey_128kb.mp3 25:39

I notice that Part 2 Section 1 which I uploaded yesterday does not show "Ready for PL" in the magic window.
Is there something I have failed to do?
I will put Part 2 in the MW. As to Part 1, I was waiting for you to check for that "redundant text" yourself, before asking our DPL to listen to it. I believe readers should only upload files they think are ready for proof listening. As I said in my earlier post, if you have a problem with the Intro as it is written, please let me know before we proceed any further.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

williamjones
Posts: 574
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 15th, 2019, 11:08 am

Uploaded HNAC Part 2 Section 3, Changing Human Nature

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/humannatureandconduct2_03_dewey_128kb.mp3 41:39
Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
This year thousands of men will die from stubbornness.
{NO WE WON'T !!}

msfry
Posts: 5385
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 15th, 2019, 11:55 am

OK, I've put 1 and 3 in the MW. I have removed the word "Section" from the Title column, as such repetitious words take up valuable space on small display (such as an iPhone screen), and blocks the title which contains the important information. This will make no difference in your Intro and Outro.
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

msfry
Posts: 5385
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm

As to your query about redundancy, Bill, I think I see what you mean. Here is how the Intro to Section 1 reads:
"Chapter [number] of Human Nature and Conduct, Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. [Chapter Title]"

This text is automatically generated by the Project Template Generator, which we have the option to tweak so long as we don't mess with the LV disclaimer. So my question is, how would you like to tweak it?

Then it generates:
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of Human Nature and Conduct. Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. [Chapter Title]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"


How would you like to tweak this?

My recommendation would be to replace the word "chapter" with the word "section" at every occurrence, and I agree that the Intro to Section 1 is redundant in repeating:
"Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. [Chapter Title]"
I think this could be shortened to:
"Human Nature and Conduct, Part 2, Section [# and title] (as it appears in the MW)
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

williamjones
Posts: 574
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 16th, 2019, 9:51 am

msfry wrote:
January 15th, 2019, 12:50 pm
As to your query about redundancy, Bill, I think I see what you mean. Here is how the Intro to Section 1 reads:
"Chapter [number] of Human Nature and Conduct, Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Say:
"Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. [Chapter Title]"

This text is automatically generated by the Project Template Generator, which we have the option to tweak so long as we don't mess with the LV disclaimer. So my question is, how would you like to tweak it?

Then it generates:
For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
"Chapter [number] of Human Nature and Conduct. Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. [Chapter Title]. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"


How would you like to tweak this?

My recommendation would be to replace the word "chapter" with the word "section" at every occurrence, and I agree that the Intro to Section 1 is redundant in repeating:
"Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2: The Place of Impulse In Conduct. [Chapter Title]"
I think this could be shortened to:
"Human Nature and Conduct, Part 2, Section [# and title] (as it appears in the MW)
MY TWEAKS using your suggestions:
"Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2 (of 4): The Place of Impulse In Conduct.
Section # Section title (as it appears in the MW)

This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"

Reasoning:
This identifies
the book and which part of the book
is contained in this project
AND the first section being read here.


For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:

Human Nature and Conduct, by John Dewey. Part 2 (of 4): The Place of Impulse In Conduct.
Section # Section Title (as it appears in the MW)
This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."

If you wish, say:
"Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
Only if applicable, say:
"[Chapter title]"
Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
This year thousands of men will die from stubbornness.
{NO WE WON'T !!}

msfry
Posts: 5385
Joined: June 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Contact:

Post by msfry » January 16th, 2019, 10:17 am

Okay, Bill, I have adjusted the Intros and Outros to fit mostly* what you submitted. Repeat these aloud a few times to see how they flow, and get back to me with any changes. Your DPL will be checking to see that you follow what is written, so let's give him/her the precise wording you will be using.

*I suggest repeating the Section # and Section Title after that long disclaimer in Section 1 Intro. It seems to help listeners remember what they are listening to. Give it a try and see what you think.

Getting it together! Inch by inch. Bit by bit. Note by note. :D
Michele Fry, CC
My Projects
"Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~Winston Churchill

williamjones
Posts: 574
Joined: April 26th, 2016, 7:47 pm

Post by williamjones » January 16th, 2019, 10:39 am

msfry wrote:
January 16th, 2019, 10:17 am
Okay, Bill, I have adjusted the Intros and Outros to fit mostly* what you submitted. Repeat these aloud a few times to see how they flow, and get back to me with any changes. Your DPL will be checking to see that you follow what is written, so let's give him/her the precise wording you will be using.

*I suggest repeating the Section # and Section Title after that long disclaimer in Section 1 Intro. It seems to help listeners remember what they are listening to. Give it a try and see what you think.

Getting it together! Inch by inch. Bit by bit. Note by note. :D
Thank you very much for your patience and good suggestions. :clap:
I am good with all this.
Bill Jones, Fabled of Story and Song, CC
This year thousands of men will die from stubbornness.
{NO WE WON'T !!}

Post Reply