One Minute Recording - Test pattern for LibriVox [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
djhelfgott

Post by djhelfgott » January 8th, 2019, 1:22 pm

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/one_minute_audition.mp3

I may be too loud or too soft, still figuring all the various adjustments through Audacity that I need to make. Any constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks very much.

- Dan

PS: Also, if anyone has any tips on how to tell if I'm in the golden zone of the cardoid microphone I'm using, it'd be appreciated. N00b here.

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 8th, 2019, 4:05 pm

Welcome!

Sounds great! The only issue is that the volume is too low - by about 10 dB.

If your mic slider in the Audacity window isn't all the way up, then poke it up maybe one notch. (If it's at 0.75, move it to 0.85.) This is a rough estimate and may need further tweaking.

There's a plugin for Audacity that will tell you how much to amplify your recordings.
- Click THIS LINK and save the file to your computer - your desktop or somewhere.
- Then go to the folder in which Audacity is installed (on my computer, it's in C:\Program Files (x86)\Audacity) and open the Plug-Ins folder.
- Drag the file you saved into the Plug-Ins folder.
- Start up Audacity and go to Analyze/Manage.
- Find ReplayGain in the list and enable it.
- Now you can highlight your recording, then go to Effects / ReplayGain, and it'll tell you how much to amplify your file (or not) to get it close to 89 dB.

Not sure about the "sweet spot" question. Cardioids pick up most directly in front of them, but you have to be careful that you don't puff your breath directly into the mic, getting plosives. I have my mic pointed at my mouth at about 2:00, maybe 2-3 inches from my mouth. So the mic is pointed at my mouth, but my mouth is not pointed at the mic.

Hope this helps! Try making the volume adjustments, then post another test. Use the same file name as your previous one, and post in this same thread when it's ready. :)
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

djhelfgott

Post by djhelfgott » January 11th, 2019, 6:52 pm

So kind of dumb I was using the mic facing the wrong way. In addition, the checker showed me how much the amplify so I'm pretty close to 89db.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/one_minute_audition.mp3

Let me know what you think. Thanks very much!

TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG » January 11th, 2019, 7:09 pm

No worries! :)

All's good. Go forth and record!
Experiences in the Panama Canal Zone during construction: Zone Policeman 88
Humorous Alcohol Fic/Poetry: The Old Soak, and Hail & Farewell
Insomnia Collection - boring works 30-70 minutes long

djhelfgott

Post by djhelfgott » January 11th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Thanks, Tricia!