[Complete] Passages from the Life of a Philosopher by Charles Babbage - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jon_jones_mke

Post by jon_jones_mke »

I'd like to read section 20 on locks and ciphers. Babbage has an unexpectedly smooth style.

Thanks,
Jon
[i]"There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.”[/i] -- John von Neumann
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jon_jones_mke wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 10:18 pm I'd like to read section 20 on locks and ciphers. Babbage has an unexpectedly smooth style.

Thanks,
Jon
Thank you for claiming.
jon_jones_mke

Post by jon_jones_mke »

Section 20: Picking Locks and Deciphering
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_20_babbage_128kb.mp3 (17:31)

For some reason, I got in my head it was section 22 and had to replace the start and end. Sadly, they don't have the same tone as the rest.

You'll find some extra verbiage when it gets to the tables and such in the deciphering section, trying to make them comprehensible to the ear. Let me know if it describes things okay, or if you want a different approach.

And HOLY CRAP, he invented database table indexes in the deciphering section!

Jon
[i]"There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're talking about.”[/i] -- John von Neumann
jon_jones_mke

Post by jon_jones_mke »

Also, I'd like to claim the next two sections, 21 and the real 22, if I might.

Jon
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jon_jones_mke wrote: January 4th, 2019, 5:17 pm Section 20: Picking Locks and Deciphering
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_20_babbage_128kb.mp3 (17:31)

For some reason, I got in my head it was section 22 and had to replace the start and end. Sadly, they don't have the same tone as the rest.

You'll find some extra verbiage when it gets to the tables and such in the deciphering section, trying to make them comprehensible to the ear. Let me know if it describes things okay, or if you want a different approach.

And HOLY CRAP, he invented database table indexes in the deciphering section!

Jon
Thank you. I knew that was pretty much what he was famous for... being married to a mathematician hasn’t been a total waste :lol: :lol:
jon_jones_mke

Post by jon_jones_mke »

Lynnet wrote: January 5th, 2019, 8:57 am
I knew that was pretty much what he was famous for... being married to a mathematician hasn’t been a total waste :lol: :lol:
I knew of Babbage more as a (theoretical) hardware guy and though of Ada Lovelace as more the programmer sort. But neither as database folk. The things you learn :D

In a graduate computer science class 35 years ago, after I switched over from mathematics, we implemented a computer language compiler named "Babbage." It was at the time that the language "Ada" had been defined and designated as the eventual language of the US government, but before there were any efficient implementations. The two names just sorta went together. And now, after retirement, I've gone back to math. :)
jon_jones_mke

Post by jon_jones_mke »

Section 21: Experience in St. Giles's

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_21_babbage_128kb.mp3 (16:34)

Hard to say the n-word even in context and passing.

Jon
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jon_jones_mke wrote: January 5th, 2019, 1:19 pm Section 21: Experience in St. Giles's

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_21_babbage_128kb.mp3 (16:34)

Hard to say the n-word even in context and passing.

Jon
It is LV policy to read as-is, without censorship. I can add a note to the info at the beginning, though. If you find a section with language (or subject matter) you just can’t read, feel free to relinquish it and choose a different section 8-)
jon_jones_mke

Post by jon_jones_mke »

Lynnet wrote: January 5th, 2019, 4:47 pm It is LV policy to read as-is, without censorship. I can add a note to the info at the beginning, though. If you find a section with language (or subject matter) you just can’t read, feel free to relinquish it and choose a different section 8-)
It's a good policy. Just something I hadn't expected in this particular reading. And not surprising at the time it was written, but unexpected as I read along. If it were Huck Finn it wouldn't have surprised me. Here's it's a single use when talking about the West Indies.

Jon
jon_jones_mke

Post by jon_jones_mke »

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

jon_jones_mke wrote: January 7th, 2019, 2:33 pm Section 22: Theatrical Experiences

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/lifeofaphilosopher_22_babbage_128kb.mp3 (15:06)
Thank you.
ClaudiaSterngucker

Post by ClaudiaSterngucker »

Could I read section 31 "Miracles", please? :D

Thank you!
Claudia

"Aus Druckerschwärze entstehen Dinge, Menschen, Geister und Götter, die man sonst nicht sehen könnte." Erich Kästner
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

ClaudiaSterngucker wrote: January 9th, 2019, 10:26 am Could I read section 31 "Miracles", please? :D

Thank you!
Absolutely
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS 20, 21, 22

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus
afutterer

Post by afutterer »

PL NOTES:

SECTIONS 29 & 39

PL OK
Anthony

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak. ~Epictetus