Hello from Sunny Arizona!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
KIsely

Post by KIsely » January 11th, 2019, 1:24 pm

I grew up in California and followed my husband around the country for 19 years before he retired from the Marine Corps. We settled down in a small, dusty town in Southwest Arizona. My husband and I have two boys, aged 12 and 14, and two rescue pups, a terrier and a beagle.

I have been an on-again off-again college student for several years and am beginning the final two courses for my bachelors program. I discovered Librivox several years ago and the volunteers have definitely helped me better understand some difficult works.

I am an English major and, after I complete my bachelors program, I will begin working on my Masters is Special Education. I love reading and listening to audiobooks when driving or walking my dogs and I always thought that I would volunteer for Librivox when I was finished with school.

Well, one of my current courses (American Poetry) requires a creative assignment that includes audio, video, or social media aspects. When I saw that volunteering for Librivox was an option, I thought that it was the perfect opportunity to get started!

Can't wait to get started!

SaraHale

Post by SaraHale » January 12th, 2019, 8:59 am

Hello KIsely,

Welcome to LibriVox! We're so happy to have you. :clap: I'm also an English major. :D

To get started, you need to record a one minute test. We do that to check our tech specs are correct. Once you get the PL Ok you can participate in the projects that you like.

3 things I share in my welcome message are:
1) Checker Program. It checks all the tech specs of the recording.
2) Replay Gain (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Measuring_Volume_within_Audacity). if you're using Audacity.
3) A wiki with all the Instructional Videos (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos) that you'll need. You find more information on the one-minute test like finding and uploading it.

We're a friendly community so feel free to ask questions. Someone is sure to help you. :thumbs:
Constructive criticism is always welcome. Thanks, SaraHale. :D