1 minute test for review [OK]

All languages: post your test recording here. Help check audio files, provide editing services, and advertise for proof-listeners.
shortart

Post by shortart » January 9th, 2019, 7:57 am

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_shortart.mp3

Using Audacity on Win 10 with Samsun Q1U USB mic
Chris Scudder

Lushnam

Post by Lushnam » January 9th, 2019, 11:14 pm

I'm still waiting for someone to go over my 1-Minute Test, too. However, I just wanted to point out that according to what I've read, and my examination of your file, your file does meet the requirements of having a constant 128kbps bitrate; it's also 44,100hz and mono as required. MP3Gain (run via Wine on Linux) says your volume has a loudness of 89.7dB (it's supposed to be around 89—I'm not sure how far from that it can safely get). The checker program says the volume is fine (it says it should be between 86 and 92).

I think your file does sound a lot clearer when I use noise reduction with Audacity, though (I'm not sure what the seasoned narrators would say). To do that, in Audacity, highlight a portion of your recording where you're not reading; then, you can go to Effect->Noise Reduction->Get Noise Profile. Then select the whole recording; then go to Effect->Noise Reduction and click okay.

I get the following output using the mediainfo command-line tool in Linux (Audacity said it was mono, though):

General
Complete name : test_shortart.mp3
Format : MPEG Audio
File size : 508 KiB
Duration : 32 s 470 ms
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 128 kb/s
Writing library : LAME3.99r

Audio
Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Duration : 32 s 470 ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 128 kb/s
Channel(s) : 1 channel
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 38.281 FPS (1152 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 507 KiB (100%)
Writing library : LAME3.99r
Encoding settings : -m m -V 4 -q 3 -lowpass 20.5 -b 128

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 10th, 2019, 3:16 am

Hi Chris and welcome to the forum :)

I see Lushnam has already given you great advice. I also had a listen to your test, and indeed, the background noise could benefit a bit from cleaning, but for the purposes of our test, this passes all criteria still. The cleaning function in Audacity is very good, and Lushnam already gave you the step-by-step, so I won't repeat it here.

You can try it out and post a second test if you wish me to check that, but I'll give you the OK immediately and you can try your hand in a "real" project now. So, all your technical settings are ok, and your reading is absolutely fine. Only consider running a round of noise-reduction before uploading an official section and editing out some slight stumbles like I heard at the end of your test, then I'm sure all will be fine.

Have fun on the forum !

Sonia

shortart

Post by shortart » January 10th, 2019, 4:56 am

Thank you Lusham, and thank you Sonia. I suspected those issues you mentioned, and was wondering if I lowered the input volume (software) and moved closer than 6" from the mic, might that lessen the noise? I think it's the computer fan we are hearing.
I am looking at a short reading to get me started.
Chris
Chris Scudder

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty » January 10th, 2019, 5:03 am

shortart wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 4:56 am
I suspected those issues you mentioned, and was wondering if I lowered the input volume (software) and moved closer than 6" from the mic, might that lessen the noise? I think it's the computer fan we are hearing.
do you have the possibility to run the computer on battery ? That will lessen the noise from the fan noticeably.

But yes, moving the mic further from the source of noise does help, if you have a longer cable. But I would not suggest speaking at too close range into the mic. There is the risk of plosives then, if you blow straight into the mic.

Also lowering the input volume will only result in a lower recording volume, then you have to amplify it all and you will amplify the noise as well in the process and you're back to square one.

A round of noisecleaning is really not a big deal. I do it for all my recordings, after a few times it becomes second nature and routine :mrgreen: Doesn't take too much time. And unless you're recording in a sound-proof booth, I guess there will always be some background noise.

But it didn't disturb the listening experience too much, so all is well.
I am looking at a short reading to get me started.
:thumbs: wise decision. Always better to learn the ropes with a short poem than with a 1-hour-chapter. :mrgreen: The editing process often can take up to 3 or 4 times the recording time. So it's easier to test the waters first.

Short poems can be found here: viewforum.php?f=19

Good luck

Sonia

shortart

Post by shortart » January 10th, 2019, 7:13 am

I am glad for your help, and appreciate your time and effort . I'll follow up soon.
Chris