[COMPLETE] [PLAY] An Ideal Husband, Oscar Wilde - kit

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

Thanks, Beth. Yes, still OK to edit. Looking forward to it.

The name change is just to reflect the name I use elsewhere. Seemed a bit daft to be doing Oscar Wilde stuff here and in other places with different names.
Rob Marland reader section | website
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

I could probably do the narrator throughout if you think I'd be suitable. Files within a month should be OK. I haven't done a play before, though: do you need all the stage directions read, including those for each speaker, of just the longer scene-setting passages?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'm happy for you to give it a go! I'd suggest starting with Act 1 first, and I'll PL it and we can see how it shapes up.

The narrator needs to read the Introduction and Librivox disclaimer as given in the first post:

- Act 1 of An Ideal Husband, by Oscar Wilde. This is a Librivox recording... etc.

- Then will come the Dramatis Personae (of which you only need to read your own voice credit: Narrated by ....

- Then skip straight to the bold letters: First Act, Scene: An Octogon Room at Sir Robert Chiltern's house...

I don't need every single direction for each person, only the main ones such as "They rise and go towards the music room..."

However, if you DO need to read a direction, you'll need to read the person's name before it, e.g. "Mason, announcing guests from the top of the staircase".

And at the end "End of Act 1" and 5 seconds of silence.

Hope that's all clear! Do Act 1 first and I'll PL it straight away.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Hi Beth, I'll see what I can do this evening. There are a lot of 'small' stage directions, some of which include actions or stage business (Mrs. Marchmont. [Shaking her head.] . . .). while others do no more than indicate how the line is to be delivered (Lady Basildon. [Languidly.]. . .) If it's OK, I'll read all the former but skip the latter. That still might be too much, but I expect the editor would prefer too much rather than too little; excess things can always be left out.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Uploaded section 1 (Act 1 narrator) 13:01

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_narrator_1.mp3
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

MichaelMaggs wrote: November 24th, 2018, 12:03 pm Uploaded section 1 (Act 1 narrator) 13:01

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_narrator_1.mp3
Brilliant reading! I love it, and I agree with almost all of your decisions about inclusions of actions. Maybe just leave a touch more space between different sections to make it easier for editing, but your pacing and reading is perfect! I look forward to the rest!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Phew, glad you like it! I’ll do Act 2 with added space this evening.
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Here's section 2 (narrator, Act 2). Time 10:18

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_narrator_2.mp3
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Here's section 3 (narrator Act 3). 13:06

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_narrator_3.mp3

There were three or four obvious typos in the text (eg at the end of the Act, ". . . and lights his a cigarette"), which I've silently corrected. Also, right at the end, "Act Drop" rather than "Act Drops", for consistency with Acts 1 and 2
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks! I'll try to PL these soon!
MichaelMaggs

Post by MichaelMaggs »

Here's the last one from me for section 4 (narrator, Act 4) - 9:09

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_narrator_4.mp3

Can't wait to hear the whole thing now!
MKIGGEN

Post by MKIGGEN »

Is there still a role left here? I am female and new to this whole thing.
Thanks!
Michelle Kiggen
Kiggen
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Sorry, no. If you look in the subject line at the top, before it says [PLAY] this project is marked FULL - which means it is fully cast. You need to look for projects marked OPEN.

Try the "Count of Monte Cristo" project - that one has lots of little parts which are open to gender neutral claiming (means you can take any part, male or female). That might be a good place to start!

Or the "Gay Lord Quex" (which doesn't mean what it sounds like, being a rather old play it uses "gay" in the original sense of a playboy) has a role for a female servant - a good first part?
RobMarland

Post by RobMarland »

MichaelMaggs wrote: November 29th, 2018, 12:31 pm Here's the last one from me for section 4 (narrator, Act 4) - 9:09

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/idealhusband_narrator_4.mp3

Can't wait to hear the whole thing now!
Hi Michael,

Beth let me know it’s OK for me to PL your files in my role as editor. Everything sounds great: PL OK.

One small thing for future reference: as per Beth’s instructions you said the characters’ names whenever they preceded a direction. This is useful when the direction comes before any speech, because then it is clear to the listener who the direction is referring to. But when the character speaks before the direction, hearing their name first might add to the confusion, so I would edit it out. By the way, I totally agree with your choice of stage directions to leave out: anything that we should be able to interpret from the reading.
Rob Marland reader section | website
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks folks! MW updated and my files are on the way!