[COMPLETE] K. by Mary Roberts Rinehart - ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
PlanZradio

Post by PlanZradio »

Elizabby wrote: December 31st, 2018, 3:23 pm Well done! The first one is the hardest!

By the way, I don't think I have created your reader file yet - what name did you use for your voice credit?
Salamat, means Thank you...,
I think I used stephen simmons, (pronounced steven)
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

aniroo :wink:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Thanks! Super quick recording! This is now in the MW.
MLC13

Post by MLC13 »

Hi-- Here's the link to Chapter 6 of "K" by Mary Roberts Rinehart. I hope it's ok, & Happy New Year!
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/K_6_rinehart_128kb.mp3
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Hi MaryLou! I see that you're fairly new here, so I want to give you a little direction and advice (if you don't mind!) First, let me say you have a very nice reading voice, good timing and even. It was very enjoyable. There are a few things that would make your recordings better, because what I am hearing is a lot of thumps, and bumps and muffled sounds, and at one point (as pointed out below) a cat meow. It was rather distracting throughout the recording. Two things that would really help is running noise reduction on your entire piece. That alone will help tremendously. I don't know what editing program you use, but here is a link to how to use noise reduction on Audacity: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning. You can also select noises that are in the "silence" between your talking and use the silence audio selection (looks like two squiggly lines with a break in between them. Secondly, I recommend figuring out if you're moving or touching the microphone or bumping the desk during recording. Some people use a hanging base for the microphone so it's not directly sitting on a desk. Just be mindful that anything that touches or moves it, will be picked up by the microphone as a muffled noise. Also, there are a lot of clicks in the recording (by lip smacks, etc), and one thing I have found personally that helps is making sure I'm well hydrated, and stay hydrated during the recording, and not speaking directly into the microphone, rather over top or beside it. Hope these tips help for future records.

That said, there are a few things that are below that need correcting on this one, and I would recommend running the noise reduction on it as well.

Chapter 6 -
The file name should use all lower case letters.
:23 - please add Chapter 6 to the recording since there are no other chapter names (right after Mary Roberts Rinehart)
1:47 - 1:51 - lots of muffled background noise
3:07.5 - thump noise
11:20 - 11:24 - very loud background noise
13:03 - click noise
14:57 - loud click noise
15:19 - thump noise
16:11 - 16:15 - lots of loud background noise/muffled sounds as well
18:50 - thump noise
20:49 - cat meowing

I have added the time in the MW. When you upload again, please post the recording time as well. Thanks!
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

Chapter 29:
Hi Aniroo - very nice reading. There is no problems with the reading itself, but there is a lot of background noise, probably from a computer fan (maybe?), it's very loud in the mix. From near the beginning to 6:46, it's very loud, and then it drops significantly, but still very loud in the mix. I played around with the to see if I could get it to clean up and running noise reduction from the beginning up to the 6:46 mark and then again on the entire file, it cleaned up pretty well, though it does sound a little more tinny, so maybe use normalize or compression on it after. Could you please run it on your file and reupload?
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

PlanZradio wrote: December 31st, 2018, 12:21 pm
jenniferrd wrote: December 30th, 2018, 4:43 pm
Elizabby wrote: December 29th, 2018, 3:26 pm

Thanks, I have updated the Magic Window and put this file in, but in future please be careful to use the exact filename as given in the first post, otherwise the files don't sort themselves into the correct order.

Don't change it now, but if there are any corrections maybe change it then.
Stephen, you have a very nice reading voice. :D
There are a few technical issues to correct, first Elizabby has already mentioned the incorrect file name, you will find how to correctly name your file in the first post of this thread. Secondly, there needs to be 5 seconds at the end of the recording, there is only 1 second currently. Please correct and re upload with new time.
Thanks for the direction. I realized after I posted the file that I did it incorrectly, but thought it best to leave it alone until someone reviewed it. I have made the corrections and re-posted the file.
Thank you for helping me through the process. it should be easier for me next time around, one would think, hehehehe.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/K_20_rinehart_128kb.mp3 26:30
There is still issue with the file name, all letters should be lower case. The five seconds is now there, so if you just correct your file name, it will be good! :D
MLC13

Post by MLC13 »

Hello! I'm so embarrassed about the noises ... good god, everything from bumps to cat meows. But thanks for the advice. and I'll get it back to you soon as I can.

jenniferrd wrote: January 6th, 2019, 4:54 pm Hi MaryLou! I see that you're fairly new here, so I want to give you a little direction and advice (if you don't mind!) [...]
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

MLC13 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 7:49 pm Hello! I'm so embarrassed about the noises ... good god, everything from bumps to cat meows. But thanks for the advice. and I'll get it back to you soon as I can.

jenniferrd wrote: January 6th, 2019, 4:54 pm Hi MaryLou! I see that you're fairly new here, so I want to give you a little direction and advice (if you don't mind!) [...]
Please don't be embarrassed, it's just learning process and we all go through it. You have a lovely reading voice, and you're very good. Editing a file can be difficult, especially if it's new to you. :D :D
MLC13

Post by MLC13 »

Here's my revision of Chapter 6. Not counting the 5 secs of recorded silence at the end, the current length is 20:46.5
Here's hoping I caught everything. I assume your headphones are much better than mine—I never could find that meow.
Best, Marylou

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_6_rinehart_128kb.mp3
PlanZradio

Post by PlanZradio »

jenniferrd wrote: January 6th, 2019, 7:16 pm
PlanZradio wrote: December 31st, 2018, 12:21 pm
jenniferrd wrote: December 30th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Stephen, you have a very nice reading voice. :D
There are a few technical issues to correct, first Elizabby has already mentioned the incorrect file name, you will find how to correctly name your file in the first post of this thread. Secondly, there needs to be 5 seconds at the end of the recording, there is only 1 second currently. Please correct and re upload with new time.
Thanks for the direction. I realized after I posted the file that I did it incorrectly, but thought it best to leave it alone until someone reviewed it. I have made the corrections and re-posted the file.
Thank you for helping me through the process. it should be easier for me next time around, one would think, hehehehe.

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/K_20_rinehart_128kb.mp3 26:30
There is still issue with the file name, all letters should be lower case. The five seconds is now there, so if you just correct your file name, it will be good! :D
I corrected the file name and reloaded. Thanks.
https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_20_rinehart_128kb.mp3 , length = 26:30
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

That's PL OK! All done! Congratulations on finishing your first section! You are now free to claim another section, here or elsewhere.
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_29_rinehart_128kb.mp3 Time 15:06

Here is the edited section of Chapter 29. I thought that I had submitted it earlier,but I can't find it, so I thought to do it again. Please excuse if this is a duplicate.

aniroo
aniroo :wink:
jenniferrd

Post by jenniferrd »

aniroo wrote: January 7th, 2019, 8:38 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/annise/k_29_rinehart_128kb.mp3 Time 15:06

Here is the edited section of Chapter 29. I thought that I had submitted it earlier,but I can't find it, so I thought to do it again. Please excuse if this is a duplicate.

aniroo
That's for uploading. I'm still hearing the loud fan in the background, again I played around with the file, and two passes of noise reduction completely cleaned it up. Here is a link to Phil's noise cleaning, https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noise_Cleaning. Additionally, now the the volume falls outside of the target range (86–92 dB) at 92.2 dB.

Elizabby - do you have any other recommendations, could you listen to the file as well?
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

I'm away from my computer at the moment so I can't listen until next week - what was your question?

(I would not worry about a 0.2dB discrepancy - I don't think the human ear will be able to tell!)

I agree that there is a lot of background noise which needs to be cleaned up.

Aniroo, if you need more help than the wiki provides, you can post your file in the Listener's forum for advice - the tech people there can probably give you exact settings for noise cleaning, etc, if that would help.
Last edited by Elizabby on January 9th, 2019, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.