COMPLETE[PLAY]Mrs. Pretty and The Premier by Arthur Adams - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

Todd: the link you're giving is to the PDF file. Is this the pdf from this book: https://archive.org/details/threeplaysforaus00adamiala/page/92
if so, I'd rather PL from that link if you don't mind, it's easier access for me.

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Kitty wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:02 am Todd: the link you're giving is to the PDF file. Is this the pdf from this book: https://archive.org/details/threeplaysforaus00adamiala/page/92
if so, I'd rather PL from that link if you don't mind, it's easier access for me.

Sonia
Chris, is the link above to the same document as what you gave me to use for the project? Certainly looks the same to me....

Thanks, Todd
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

I'll claim the maid - only female role left hahaha
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

leanneyauyau wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:38 am I'll claim the maid - only female role left hahaha
Thank you. However, do note that all roles in the plays I offer are almost always gender neutral, open to all.

Thanks, Todd
leanneyauyau

Post by leanneyauyau »

May I also claim Edward Vyce? He appears in act 1 and 3, whereas the maid is act 2 and only has one line.
Leanne (leanneyauyau) :9:
my librivox page | website | fb page
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

leanneyauyau wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:38 am I'll claim the maid - only female role left hahaha
Leanne, did you notice the still unclaimed female role of Mrs Cusack, friend to Mrs Pretty? It’s quite substantial.

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:22 am
Kitty wrote: January 7th, 2019, 5:02 am Todd: the link you're giving is to the PDF file. Is this the pdf from this book: https://archive.org/details/threeplaysforaus00adamiala/page/92

Sonia
Chris, is the link above to the same document as what you gave me to use for the project? Certainly looks the same to me....

Thanks, Todd
Yes, it’s the same book, only difference is Sonia’s link opens at the first page of the play, while the other link opens at the front of the book. This can be confirmed by turning to the front of the book opened at the play and noting that the library label serial number is the same in both cases.

Cheers,
Chris
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thanks - I changed the first posting link.

Todd
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Hi Sonia,

Please sign me up for Herbert Dix! I love his lines and manner :)

Pete
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
~ Charles Bukowski
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

PeterMusgrove wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm Please sign me up for Herbert Dix! I love his lines and manner :)
yay, great, thank you Pete. Chris will be thrilled that there's one more Aussie to give local colour to the language. :thumbs: (we can't be all immigrants, that would look suspicious :lol: )

Sonia
PeterMusgrove

Post by PeterMusgrove »

Happy to be aboard!!! :mrgreen:

Pete
Kitty wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:30 pm
PeterMusgrove wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm Please sign me up for Herbert Dix! I love his lines and manner :)
yay, great, thank you Pete. Chris will be thrilled that there's one more Aussie to give local colour to the language. :thumbs: (we can't be all immigrants, that would look suspicious :lol: )

Sonia
"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
~ Charles Bukowski
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Premier Power, Act 1 completed: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_premierpower_1_128kb.mp3

He's a Labor Party man from the goldfields, so you'll notice his 'working class man' accent. (No, not as loud as Barnesy, Sonia! ;) )

His laconic attitude with his staff and political colleagues segues into his slightly pompous speechifying voice when confronted with Mrs Pretty's anti-resumption plea. It then goes somewhat courtly when he realises he's got 72 hours to convince the lady to marry him, despite the fact he has no idea of how to go about it.

Vyce: "You're in love with her?"

Power: "In love? God forbid! Don't joke on serious subjects. I've got to marry her. That's all. And in three days. That doesn't leave much time for love-making, does it? Even if I knew how."

The Premier is quite candid about his fear of femme fatales ... "Scared to hell!".

BTW, I noticed the word 'clerk' cropping up several times, so it can't hurt to mention that in Australia, as in the UK, 'clerk' is actually pronounced as 'clark'.

PeterMusgrove wrote: January 8th, 2019, 2:23 pm Hi Sonia,

Please sign me up for Herbert Dix! I love his lines and manner :)

Pete
Hi Pete! Great to have you onboard!

Cheers,
Chris
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

leanneyauyau wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:57 am May I also claim Edward Vyce? He appears in act 1 and 3, whereas the maid is act 2 and only has one line.
Yes you may. I don't normally like to have someone read multiple roles, but as you note the maid is only one line....

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 8th, 2019, 4:39 pmPremier Power, Act 1 completed: https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/mrsprettyandthepremier_premierpower_1_128kb.mp3
:shock: 40 minutes !!! I think this is your biggest role so far, Chris.

But I must admit, it didn't get boring at all. Your characterisation is absolutely top-notch. :thumbs: And I'm glad I heard your performance before I do my part, it gives me some ideas how to face up to you :mrgreen: (though I won't even try to copy your accent)
BTW, I noticed the word 'clerk' cropping up several times, so it can't hurt to mention that in Australia, as in the UK, 'clerk' is actually pronounced as 'clark'.
actually "clark" is the way we learnt it at school too 8-) I was surprised when I first heard it pronounced "clerk" (rhyming on jerk) here on LV. :?

So back to Power....wonderful job, Chris. He's a man to be reckoned with, but then again...so's Mrs Pretty ;) I think this play will become hilarious.

entirely PL ok, no missing lines at all. Awesome job. Looking forward to the next Act: the wooing of Mrs P.

Sonia
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 6th, 2019, 5:39 pm Since the estate of Wyonora is mentioned quite a few times in the play, I guess it couldn't hurt to have a "received pronunciation" of it.

What do you think, Beth? "Wy-o-NOR-ah"? https://librivox.org/uploads/xx-nonproject/wyonora.mp3
Yes, I agree. That's how it sounded in my head!