[COMPLETE] The Philosophy of Immanuel Kant by A.D. Lindsay - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
SKwanlada

Post by SKwanlada »

The Philosophy of Immanuel Kant by Alexander Dunlop Lindsay (1879 - 1952).

This is an abandoned solo, adopted by SKwanlada.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-philosophy-of-immanuel-kant-by-alexander-dunlop-lindsay/
N/A ( N/A)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.95944/page/n5
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Philosophy of Immanuel Kant. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Philosophy of Immanuel Kant, by Alexander Dunlop Lindsay. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Philosophy of Immanuel Kant by Alexander Dunlop Lindsay. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Philosophy of Immanuel Kant, by Alexander Dunlop Lindsay. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename kant_##_lindsay_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. kant_01_lindsay_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    Any questions?
    Please post below
Wise4ss

Post by Wise4ss »

There was no description listed on the archive page, nor does a wikipedia page exist for this particular work, so I decided to handle this as awkwardly as possible and enter "N/A" into the dialogue boxes on the submission page. So, uh... yeah. I'll look for a description of the work on another page in Gutenberg, and post it here if I can find it.

Otherwise, LibriVox user LectorRecitator posted a very detailed and thoughtful description of the work in another thread that may be suitable instead. It also contains some warning information.
LectorRecitator wrote: November 8th, 2018, 9:38 amDetails

∙ Title: The Philosophy Of Immanuel Kant
∙ Author/Editor: Lindsay, Alexander Dunlop (1879–1952), Professor of Moral Philosophy at the University of Glasgow
∙ Publisher: T. C. & E. C. Jack, Ltd
∙ Date/Edition/Impression: 1919

NOTE: If one compares the contents of both versions of 1913 & 1919 one gets the impression of the latter being an enlarged edition. However I presume it is due to stretching of the text in the latter one and that both impressions are identical in context, but I might be wrong. The one available at Project Gutenberg is the 1913 edition. The attached copy is the 1919 version, which I believe it is prudent to be the one that gets recorded, just to be on the safe side, since it is larger.

Description

A brief examination of Kant’s philosophical thought.
The author focuses strictly on the Three Critiques and from these he pinpoints essential aspects, which he subsequently examines one by one accordingly in 7 chapters.
A well written introductory study, worth recording.

"There is a story that Schopenhauer used to begin his lectures on Kant by saying: "Let no one tell you what is contained in the Critique of Pure Reason." The writer of this little book hopes that no one will imagine that he has disregarded this warning. There are no short-cuts to the understanding of a great philosopher, and the only way to appreciate the greatness of a philosophic system is to study the philosopher's own writings. All that the writer of a book like this can hope to do is to persuade others to undertake that study by interesting them in the problems with which it deals, and by offering a few suggestions which may help to an understanding of it. I have said nothing about the numerous other works which Kant wrote. For the three Critiques contain his system, and the understanding of that is all-important."

(Foreword of the Book)

Readability Information

115 pages long, divided into 7 brief chapters, plus 1 page of Foreword and 1 page of Bibliography worth reading.
1 illustration out of text.
Total: 117 pages.

(Suitable for Novice/Solo Readers)

Lector Recitator’s Readability Rating

Not in regards to Subject Matter or Overall Length, but Structure
(i.e., Division of written material into Chapters/Sections & Subchapters/Subsections and their individual length.)

∙ 1/5: Laborious
∙ 2/5: Challenging
∙ 3/5: Readable
4/5: Quite Readable ←
∙ 5/5: Exceedingly Readable

Links

https://archive.org/details/philosophykand00linduoft/page/n7
A. Bryan Johnson
Twitter: @Abryjo
Foon

Post by Foon »

I'm interested in this, I had it on my list of "maybe I'll record this at some point", but I'd love to be your DPL instead :D
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
Wise4ss

Post by Wise4ss »

Awesome, thanks Foon! I'm very grateful.

I'll have the recordings ready for us to work on soon. There's just a few things though -- First, I'm not very familiar with German names and places so I'm going to be going off of light research and intuition when I pronounce them. There aren't too many, but I still want to be on the safe side. I'm not sure how familiar you are with German, but if you hear anything that definitely seems wrong, could you let me know?

Also, there seems to be a bit of extra work that comes with this project on my end and which you should probably know about. The text in the archive has some occasional ink weathering or paper damage that makes certain sections unreadable. When this happens, I'm going to be switching over to the following undamaged version. As DPL, it might be beneficial to cross-reference with it (a smaller 1913 text file with less content) if you're reading along:

https://archive.org/details/philosophyofimma00linduoft/page/34

There is also the Gutenberg .html version here, but again, it seems shorter:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/47880/47880-h/47880-h.html

Primarily, I'm going to be reading from the 1920 version I put in this thread's original post despite the damage, since it contains more content. However, I'll let you know the exact pages and audio timestamps I'm going to be switching to the undamaged version, if that's okay.
A. Bryan Johnson
Wise4ss

Post by Wise4ss »

Also, an important bit of information to whoever decides to be the MC:

Above, in the original post I made about the book, it states that there is no preface or introduction. There is a foreword, but it is less than one page, meaning that it would likely be more constructive if I include it in the same recording as the first chapter rather than as an entirely separate file. But as always, if you find that this is detrimental to the project in some way, I will be happy to record them separately.
A. Bryan Johnson
Foon

Post by Foon »

Wise4ss wrote: January 7th, 2019, 1:48 pm Awesome, thanks Foon! I'm very grateful.

I'll have the recordings ready for us to work on soon. There's just a few things though -- First, I'm not very familiar with German names and places so I'm going to be going off of light research and intuition when I pronounce them. There aren't too many, but I still want to be on the safe side. I'm not sure how familiar you are with German, but if you hear anything that definitely seems wrong, could you let me know?
Sure! I'm Dutch, and I speak some German, so while I'm not able to help you do it perfectly, I'll probably be able to point out any major mispronunciations. But I'm sure you'll be fine!

Also, there seems to be a bit of extra work that comes with this project on my end and which you should probably know about. The text in the archive has some occasional ink weathering or paper damage that makes certain sections unreadable. When this happens, I'm going to be switching over to the following undamaged version. As DPL, it might be beneficial to cross-reference with it (a smaller 1913 text file with less content) if you're reading along:

https://archive.org/details/philosophyofimma00linduoft/page/34

There is also the Gutenberg .html version here, but again, it seems shorter:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/47880/47880-h/47880-h.html

Primarily, I'm going to be reading from the 1920 version I put in this thread's original post despite the damage, since it contains more content. However, I'll let you know the exact pages and audio timestamps I'm going to be switching to the undamaged version, if that's okay.
I think this is something that the prospective MC needs to take a look at, I don't know to what extent text-swapping is accepted.
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Switching back and forth is not a good option especially if you are not using identical editions. Here is an alternate scan of the 1919 text to consider.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015001143778;view=1up;seq=15;skin=mobile
Jo
Wise4ss

Post by Wise4ss »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 7th, 2019, 4:22 pm Switching back and forth is not a good option especially if you are not using identical editions. Here is an alternate scan of the 1919 text to consider.

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015001143778;view=1up;seq=15;skin=mobile
Fantastic! Thank you for this. Skimming through it, nothing seems illegible, so that's good. When you were looking for this, did you search for it specifically by publication year? I just ask with the hope of knowing how to look for different versions of texts while avoiding this problem in the future.
A. Bryan Johnson
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

No, I searched for "kant by lindsay" and got a hit on Hathitrust to the 1913 edition. However, on the left of the screen are related search hits and the 1919 text was first on that list. :)
Jo
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Hey good morning, i can mc this for you :)

Let me get us a magic window!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Youre all set!

Note the following,

1. This is your first solo, congratulations! As a soloist, you manage your own magic window. To get in, click on bc admin and pretend you forgot your password. The system will send you one by email. You can change it once youre in :) please let me know if it works!
Here are some notes https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Soloists:_How_to_update_the_Magic_Window

2. I cant access the hathitrust text and i assume foon cant either. I understand that this is a better scan of the same edition you had initially? In that case the damaged scan might not be good enough to read from but ok for proof listening purposes. If all fails maybe you can download the hathitrust text and send it to foon, thats up to yous :)

3. Small notes
- Ive shortened the file name if thats ok with you
- i entered the first section title in the magic window, but you can change it to another format if you like.
- woild you like a separate section for the forword, or read it with chapter 1, or skip it?

Thank you!
Carolin
Foon

Post by Foon »

Carolin wrote: January 12th, 2019, 2:26 am
2. I cant access the hathitrust text and i assume foon cant either. I understand that this is a better scan of the same edition you had initially? In that case the damaged scan might not be good enough to read from but ok for proof listening purposes. If all fails maybe you can download the hathitrust text and send it to foon, thats up to yous :)
That's correct, I hadn't checked yet, but indeed I can't access it. If it's the same edition, I'd be fine with PLing from the damaged scan, but if it's not the same, we need a different solution (like what Carolin suggested!)

Readers needed:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

off we go to going solo!
Carolin
Wise4ss

Post by Wise4ss »

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate all the help you've provided me with so far. I've begun recording and will finish soon as possible. Sorry for the delay so far.
A. Bryan Johnson
Foon

Post by Foon »

Sounds good, glad to hear you're still around :thumbs: I look forward to listening!

Readers needed: