ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thanks, Colleen, a beautiful story. I knew about the Burghers of Calais already, as I looked them up some time ago when researching the famous statue by Rodin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Burghers_of_Calais

Excellently narrated again, no errors. I just might mention that the silence in the middle of the end disclaimer is a bit long with over 3 seconds. But since there are no other textual errors, no need to reupload just for that. ;) PL ok.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Thanks Sonia! I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I may tweak it and reupload when I go to record the next section -- if I do I'll make a note here with the changed time length for the file.

Weird coincidence - I had been planning to record that section last night and had skimmed it. It was the first I had ever heard of this little story. After I skimmed it, I went off for family time - we are watching the new season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. In the midst of the episode, one of the characters is in Paris and touring the Rodin museum and there's a little lecture by a docent about a statue in the garden of the museum. It's the burghers! It was only because I had been getting ready to record this section that I had any idea of the context of the scene. I made my wife pause the episode and excitedly told them about the background. They tolerate my "footnote moments" as my wife calls them, "that's nice, dear" and moved on. LOL.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:11 am Thanks Sonia! I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I may tweak it and reupload when I go to record the next section -- if I do I'll make a note here with the changed time length for the file.
ok no problem, just let me know and I'll Spot check once more, just to be on the safe side ;)
It was the first I had ever heard of this little story. After I skimmed it, I went off for family time - we are watching the new season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. In the midst of the episode, one of the characters is in Paris and touring the Rodin museum and there's a little lecture by a docent about a statue in the garden of the museum. It's the burghers!
I totally understand !!! I've had such weird coincidences as well in my life. Once you hear a new name or incident you've never heard before and then it keeps coming up again and again right afterwards. Strange.

I think the statue is actually located in Calais, but maybe they have another copy in Rodin's garden as well. I have visited that museum ages ago, but cannot recall whether I've seen it there. I remember the Thinker though :lol:

edit: ah yes I see in the wiki article, 12 casts have been made and one of them is in the garden. Calais has the first original though:
Under French law no more than twelve original casts of works of Rodin may be made.

The first cast of the group of six figures, cast in 1895 still stands in Calais. Other original casts stand at:
[...]the gardens of the Musée Rodin in Paris, cast 1926 and given to the museum in 1955
Sonia
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Ooh! Philadelphia (where I was born and visit fairly often since most of my family still lives in the region) has a nice Rodin museum that I have always meant to get to. I've been to the main museum (which is amazing - I love the High Museum in Atlanta where I live now but the Philadelphia one is a whole different level) but the Rodin museum is in a separate small building nearby and I have not made it there yet. It's now become a priority on my next trip, especially since it has one of the casts:

https://www.philamuseum.org/collections/permanent/103361.html

Learning cool stuff like this is one of the reasons I really enjoy recording for Librivox!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ColleenMc wrote: January 7th, 2019, 7:26 amIt's now become a priority on my next trip, especially since it has one of the casts:
:thumbs: there's an idea for a trip. And you can stand in front of the cast and distribute flyers telling people how you narrated the story for LV :mrgreen: a bit of publicity :lol:
learning cool stuff like this is one of the reasons I really enjoy recording for Librivox!
yes, me too :9:

Sonia
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

Hey Sonia!

Seeing as my allotted 2 months have passed for my sections, could I have a small extension? :oops: I will have them recorded as soon as I can!
Tomas Peter
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

WiltedScribe wrote: January 7th, 2019, 10:24 am Seeing as my allotted 2 months have passed for my sections, could I have a small extension? :oops: I will have them recorded as soon as I can!
no problem, Tomas, thanks for notifying me. I'll give you a one-month extension for now :)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_114_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 02:27

Hello Sonia,
Here is section 114 with the correct number. I was never taught the metric system in school, just standard. :oops:
April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

April
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_121_tappan_128kb.mp3 time 04:55
Sonia,
Here is my edited file per your corrections. Thank you again Sonia,
April
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, April. Will Spot PL them all tomorrow (a bit tired now)

Sonia
adr6090

Post by adr6090 »

Well you should get some sleep than since it is a later time for you. I will patiently await your final pl. :wink:
April
Kitty wrote: January 7th, 2019, 1:12 pm thank you, April. Will Spot PL them all tomorrow (a bit tired now)

Sonia
Hypatia

Post by Hypatia »

Hi Sonia,

Here is section 123:
https://librivox.org/uploads/kitty/worldstory_volume05_123_tappan_128kb.mp3 (12:00)

Regards,
Hypatia
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »