[COMPLETE] The New Republic by William H Mallock - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Foon

Post by Foon »

Chapter 10 is up, too! :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
Dramatic Reading: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Folklore/legends: Arabian Nights Vol. 11
Play: Zeus the Tragedian
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Section 8:

Only one correction. At 16:12, you pronounce "snobbish" with an [sh] sound at the beginning (sounds like 'shnobbish.')
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thanks, Jeff! I'll fix that eeehm... Hopefully today, otherwise it's gonna be after the weekend. :)
Foon - Real life is getting in the way of LV, will be slow until all is back on track, please bear with me!

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

PL notes for Section 9:

24:34 - "soliloquy" - You mispronounced the "qu" as a hard [k] sound.
25:42 - Repeated "the facts of the life about us" twice (I think you probably meant to delete the first one)
27:50 - "compassed about" - The stress in the word "compassed" should be on the first syllable.
28:08 - "scarcely" - For the reasons previously mentioned.
37:18 - "scarcely" - [sigh...…]
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: December 8th, 2018, 8:38 am PL notes for Section 9:

24:34 - "soliloquy" - You mispronounced the "qu" as a hard [k] sound.
25:42 - Repeated "the facts of the life about us" twice (I think you probably meant to delete the first one)
27:50 - "compassed about" - The stress in the word "compassed" should be on the first syllable.
28:08 - "scarcely" - For the reasons previously mentioned.
37:18 - "scarcely" - [sigh...…]
Oh damnit... You'd think I'd have learned my lesson with "scarce" -_-

Thank you! I'm gonna fix all of these :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Section 11 is ready for PL! :D

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

PL notes for Section 10:

10:35 - 10:37: There is a pause of about two seconds with a banging noise in the background. This could probably be deleted.

12:20: It sounds like the word "Nay" got partially cut off or skipped.

18:46: "bewilders" - The 'i' in this word should be pronounced as a short vowel, like in the word "tilde." It is not a long vowel as in "wild." Please see below:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bewilder

18:55: "bewilderment" - Same as above.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bewilderment
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: December 23rd, 2018, 6:21 pm PL notes for Section 10:

10:35 - 10:37: There is a pause of about two seconds with a banging noise in the background. This could probably be deleted.

12:20: It sounds like the word "Nay" got partially cut off or skipped.

18:46: "bewilders" - The 'i' in this word should be pronounced as a short vowel, like in the word "tilde." It is not a long vowel as in "wild." Please see below:

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bewilder

18:55: "bewilderment" - Same as above.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/bewilderment
Ahh looks like I did a bit of sloppy editing job :oops:
Thanks for the pointers on "bewilder"--I had no idea.
I keep learning new stuff! :D

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

Happy new year, Jeff!

I've uploaded section 12 for PL :)

Readers needed:
Foon

Post by Foon »

I've uploaded section 13 as well (it's a big one!)

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Happy new year to you as well! I’m currently working on these sections, so please know that I haven’t disappeared...
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

Foon, please be careful about the word “compass” and it’s derivatives. I corrected this in a previous section, but it keeps appearing in this work. It’s a pretty archaic word when used as a verb. The stress always needs to be on the first syllable, just like when it’s used as a noun. So compass, compassed, encompassed, compassing, and encompassing all have the stress on the syllable ’com.’ Please see...

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/compass
Foon

Post by Foon »

hdcn wrote: January 8th, 2019, 9:48 pm Foon, please be careful about the word “compass” and it’s derivatives. I corrected this in a previous section, but it keeps appearing in this work. It’s a pretty archaic word when used as a verb. The stress always needs to be on the first syllable, just like when it’s used as a noun. So compass, compassed, encompassed, compassing, and encompassing all have the stress on the syllable ’com.’ Please see...

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/compass
Grmbl. It's really hard to get these wrong pronunciations, that have become automatic over the years, out of my system!
I'm getting the hang of "scarcely" though, I constantly go "scah--scairsly"

Readers needed:
hdcn

Post by hdcn »

PL notes for Section 11:

3:39 – “courteousness” – Although this word is technically derived from the word court, this derivation happened so long ago that the pronunciation has had plenty of time to change, and the word no longer sounds anything like court. Also, just to keep things complicated, for some unknown reason, elision does not occur in this word as it does in almost every other English word with a consonant/vowel combination like ‘teous’ (e.g., righteous). So, the bottom line is, this is a four-syllable word with no elision, which gets pronounced [KUR-tee-uhs-nes].
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/courteous

8:39 – “unleavened” – This three-syllable word consists only of short vowels. There is no long vowel sound as is found in the verb to leave. The reason why leaven sounds nothing like leave is because the verb to leave is derived from Old English (leafe/laefan), whereas the verb to leaven actually comes from Latin (levare/levamen).
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/unleavened

9:46 – “Filioque” – This ecclesiastical Latin word is a proper noun, and therefore keeps its ecclesiastical Latin pronunciation whenever it appears in written English; which is to say, it’s pronunciation has nothing in common with French-derived words such as toque and baroque. The syllables are all long vowels of equal duration, and the stress should be on the penultimate syllable. [fee-lee-OH-kwey]
(I’m actually an Orthodox Deacon and studied theology, so I will claim special expertise on this one! :) )

22:42 – "compass" – As stated above.

22:48 – "compassing" – As stated above.

29:14 – “hymns” – The ‘n’ in this word is silent, so hymn is pronounced just like the adjective him, and the plural, hymns, should be pronounces [himz]. You pronounced it with what sounds to me like an ‘n’ sound at the end, which I'm hearing as [hinz]. This may not seem like a big deal, but even after listening 10+ times, I still could not understand what you were saying until I found the word in the text. Adding, perhaps, to the confusion is the fact that the word hymn is no longer used as a verb in modern English; so, this one really needs to be pronounced precisely in order to be understood.
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hymn

41:19 – "that bit" – The text reads "that bit," but you read "That bitch!!" Sorry! I listened many, many times, and then let my wife listen, and all here are in agreement. If you don't believe me, just listen for yourself! :D
Foon

Post by Foon »

Thank you!! This is so incredibly helpful. As I've stated before, there are so many wrong/sloppy pronunciations that have snuck in over more than a decade of speaking a lot of English. People tend to not want to point out pronunciation errors in non-native speakers, they're too polite for that--which means I never learn! :roll:
(One notable exception is using American pronunciations when I was living in England... They'll slap that out of you :lol: )
hdcn wrote: January 9th, 2019, 8:42 pm 41:19 – "that bit" – The text reads "that bit," but you read "That bitch!!" Sorry! I listened many, many times, and then let my wife listen, and all here are in agreement. If you don't believe me, just listen for yourself! :D
Hahaha I've had this issue before with "wit" and "witch"! I am actually saying "bit" (me saying "bitch sounds different), but I somehow get this sharp breath on the /t/, which sounds like a "ch". I'm going to try saying it without making that sound, or otherwise, I might try to edit out the "ch" sound.

Thanks again for all your PL notes, I've been a bit slow in editing them, but that doesn't mean I appreciate them any less--it's just a bit more involved of a process since I want to match inflection, reading spead, general sound, etc etc, and that's not always so easy ;)

Readers needed: