[COMPLETE] Arqtiq by Anna Adolph - dc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Arqtiq: A Study of the Marvels at the North Pole by Anna Adolph (1841 - 1917).

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/arqtiq-a-study-of-the-marvels-at-the-north-pole-by-anna-adolph/
Described by author Liza Daly as a "strange masterpiece of outsider art," Arqtiq is a bizarre, borderline hallucinatory work of feminist utopian fiction. Equal parts sci-fi adventure, philosophical tract, and pro-Symmesian pamphlet, Anna Adolph’s strange, self-published novella centers its narrative around an aviator (also named Anna) who, along with a ragtag group of family and friends, charts an expedition to the North Pole in a retro-futuristic airship of her own invention. There, Anna and her crew travel into the hollow earth, encounter a race of telepathic giants, and uncover secrets about God and the universe.

Written in a style that teeters somewhere between modernist abstraction and amateurish enthusiasm, Arqtiq almost defies comprehension. It is a maddening and oftentimes incoherent tale that nonetheless fascinates with its unhinged imagination. It is perhaps one of the most exuberantly surreal and dreamlike works of utopian fiction from this era. (ChuckW)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/56696
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================

Genres for the project: Fantastic Fiction/Science Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: feminism, utopia, utopian fiction, outsider art, hollow earth, proto-steampunk, christianity, surrealism, stream-of-consciousness

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Arqtiq: A Study of the Marvels at the North Pole. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Arqtiq: A Study of the Marvels at the North Pole, by Anna Adolph. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Arqtiq: A Study of the Marvels at the North Pole by Anna Adolph. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Arqtiq: A Study of the Marvels at the North Pole, by Anna Adolph. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename arqtiq_##_adolph_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. arqtiq_01_adolph_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: craigdav1
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by ChuckW on March 2nd, 2019, 7:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

craigdav1 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 1:58 pm MW coming up.

edit: Let me know if any changes are needed.

Woohoo! Thank you so much. :-)

I'll start recording this tomorrow. Just wanted to stake out my claim.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I'll have the PL of the final chapters of the Garden God finished tonight, so I would be glad to join you as DPL on this adventure, if you like.
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote: January 6th, 2019, 8:09 pm I'll have the PL of the final chapters of the Garden God finished tonight, so I would be glad to join you as DPL on this adventure, if you like.
Wow! The gang's all back together! :-) Thank you!

And I promise, I won't dump the sound files on you all at once like I just did with The Garden God.
PROJECTS
craigdav1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by craigdav1 »

Moving to Going Solo forum.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Ugh, I hope this is even remotely coherent.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/arqtiq_01_adolph_128kb.mp3 [16:58]
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Well, certainly well read, of course.
Whether there is something to be gleaned through the fractured syntax an seemingly random sotory line and absurdities, I guess remains to be judged. But, then, I thought Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury was just that and signifying nothing.

So, if you want to continue on, I'm willing to lend my ears.
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote: January 9th, 2019, 12:27 am Well, certainly well read, of course.
Whether there is something to be gleaned through the fractured syntax an seemingly random sotory line and absurdities, I guess remains to be judged. But, then, I thought Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury was just that and signifying nothing.

So, if you want to continue on, I'm willing to lend my ears.
Thank you!

I generally enjoy reading these bizarre self-published stories from the 19th- and early 20th-centuries, but this one almost defies comprehension with its garbled writing style. And Anna Adolph, for all her guileless exuberance, is no Faulkner/Woolf/Joyce/etc. And honestly... the book just gets weirder and more incomprehensible from here on out (the last chapter, in particular, is nonsensical).

I think I'm going to keep reading it, if that's okay with you. I've edited the summary to reflect how weird and incoherent this book gets at times -- hopefully that will deter casual listeners just looking for a fun sci-fi adventure. If this were any longer, I might be tempted to drop it right here and now -- but since it's a breezy 80 pages, I think I can manage it.

Chapter 2 is recorded and edited... and was generally quite easy to get through. Chapter 3 is also recorded... but was a nightmare to get through. It'll take me a while to edit through that catastrophe.

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/arqtiq_02_adolph_128kb.mp3 [11:28]
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Chapter 2 is quite well done, through the serpent and apples and orange storks the size of camels, and getting lost and found in two breaths!

Just came in a little hot at 93.7 dB
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

silverquill wrote: January 10th, 2019, 7:47 am Chapter 2 is quite well done, through the serpent and apples and orange storks the size of camels, and getting lost and found in two breaths!

Just came in a little hot at 93.7 dB
This book NEVER STOPS.

Just wait. Things get even wackier in the next 2 chapters.

Unfortunately, the camel-sized storks never come back, as far as I can tell.

Thanks again, btw. Chapter 2 has been fixed and re-uploaded.

Chapters 3 and 4 are both recorded, but full of far more stumbles and errors than usual -- editing these two is going to be a really time-consuming task, so it might be a little longer before I pump those chapters out.
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

OK, I've marked it PL OK.
Take your time.
~ Larry
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

And Chapter 4 (which almost broke me).

https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/arqtiq_04_adolph_128kb.mp3 [33:05]
PROJECTS
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

ChuckW wrote: January 13th, 2019, 8:19 am Chapter 3 - https://librivox.org/uploads/craigdav1/arqtiq_03_adolph_128kb.mp3 [18:04]
PL OK
~ Larry