The all-new "HELP! I have an Audacity problem" thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Hi Nan, this is philthelibrivoxvideoguy who is glad to here your are finding ways to lessen those annoyhing clicks. Let us know if we can help in any way or if you have some more breakthroughs you want to share.
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
PattyT

Post by PattyT »

Tovarisch,

I'm sorry I left you hanging! I was planning and hosting a large event and everything else just got ignored. I'll be out of town tomorrow, but will look into this later in the week. Thanks for your help.

Patty
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

My Audacity no longer detects the mic. It all started when Audacity just stopped mid-recording, i.e the soundwaves stopped 13 minutes into the reading session with the Audacity window still being visible. Since then I can't select my mic from the drop-down menu. Is this a software problem? Should I re-download the thing? (And would the project files survive?) Or is this on the computer side?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Sorry to hear about your mic troubles. :(

In order to determine which part of your mouth-to-file chain path is at fault, you could try several different things. First, try plugging your microphone into another port (if it's a USB one). Second, try using some other software: on Windows try "Sound Recorder" on MacOS try Face Time. (BTW, do you use Skype or some other kind of voice-based communicator? Can *it* see your mic?) Third, try another mic (if you have one spare, even if it's not so nice sounding).

If you use a USB mic, the chain is (you) -> (mic) -> (cable) -> (USB port) -> (mic driver) -> (Audacity) -> (OS / file system) -> (storage). In this chain I'd say the mic and the port both can actually become disabled suddenly - they are electrical devices and subject to wear and damage. Check the cable as well, see if another cable makes it better (if you have a spare). Software rarely becomes disabled all of a sudden.

If you use a regular mic, the chain is similar: (you) -> (mic) -> (cable) -> (internal sound interface) -> (sound driver) -> (Audacity) -> (OS / file system) -> (storage). In this chain the parts between you and the sound driver also have electrical circuits.

Can two or more parts become suddenly bad at once? Yes, although it's much less likely. So, divide and conquer to find out which step is giving you trouble, then replace it.
tovarisch
  • reality prompts me to scale down my reading, sorry to say
    to PLers: do correct my pronunciation please
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Thank you, Tovarisch :)
I tried plugging the mic to other USB ports (I suddenly, after 2 years, remembered that I have 2 more to choose from :) ). Audacity wouldn't detect it either. Then I tried plugging another unrelated USB device. Got a response from those other 2 ports, but not the one that I normally use. EDIT, Hold on, I just rememberI have an as-yet unpacked powerbank. It works on all ports. The mic cable seems permanently attached to the mic and I don't have a spare USB mic to test (I used a round-plug one before the present one). I don't know anything about the "Sound Recorder" feature you've mentioned. Is it downloadable or in-built? EDIT 2: That's weird. I downloaded Sound Recorder and suddenly Audacity started seeing the mic again :hmm: Fear of competition? :lol: EDIT 3: Hold on, I spoke too soon. Audacity sees the device but no sound is produced. EDIT 4: And now it doesn't see it again. Back to square one. Sound Recorder doesn't see the mic either.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

I THOUGHT I had alleviated my rhythmic clicking problem, but alas, no. It seems better if I turn off the Wifi while recording, but they are still there, at unexpected times. The click removal tool messed up an entire chapter, since I probably was too stringent with it.

I notice it when I read something and then stop, and there is a pause. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK.

Other than editing by hand, which I do, or ignoring them, which I can't, are there any other solutions?

Thank you,

Nan
"Ready, willing, and vaguely competent." -- Sandra Boynton, 2021
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

tovarisch, I did try doing a recording and looking at the waves. I can't seem to GET the clicks to happen. The wifi is activated while I do the test. The mic is placed on a rug on my desk. Truly a mystery.

Here is a small sample. It could be that there ARE no answers and that I have to keep trying things until I figure it out. But I thought I'd ask again anyhow.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/clicks.mp3 0.15 KB
lurcherlover

Post by lurcherlover »

Very strange clicks at uneven intervals - sounds like something in the room. Check by un-plugging the mic and then recording with no mic for a few seconds. Are the clicks still there? If not there, then the clicks are coming through the mic. They don't sound like electrical interference so the mic must be picking them up in the room.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 8:00 am Thank you, Tovarisch :)
I tried plugging the mic to other USB ports (I suddenly, after 2 years, remembered that I have 2 more to choose from :) ). Audacity wouldn't detect it either. Then I tried plugging another unrelated USB device. Got a response from those other 2 ports, but not the one that I normally use. EDIT, Hold on, I just rememberI have an as-yet unpacked powerbank. It works on all ports. The mic cable seems permanently attached to the mic and I don't have a spare USB mic to test (I used a round-plug one before the present one). I don't know anything about the "Sound Recorder" feature you've mentioned. Is it downloadable or in-built? EDIT 2: That's weird. I downloaded Sound Recorder and suddenly Audacity started seeing the mic again :hmm: Fear of competition? :lol: EDIT 3: Hold on, I spoke too soon. Audacity sees the device but no sound is produced. EDIT 4: And now it doesn't see it again. Back to square one. Sound Recorder doesn't see the mic either.
Audacity will NOT recognize something plugged in AFTER Audacity is started. So you have to plug things in and then start Audacity. A nuisance when you are trying to solve problems...

Thanks, Todd
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

ToddHW wrote: Audacity will NOT recognize something plugged in AFTER Audacity is started. So you have to plug things in and then start Audacity. A nuisance when you are trying to solve problems...
I realize this. :) Unfourtunately, that's not it. Maybe it's a sign that I need a new mike. I have used this one for several years.
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

It's the New Year, and so i'll ask about THIS problem with Audacity, too.

The recording is fine. (Click-filled, but fine.) But the playback to EDIT can be problematic. I save quite often because every once in a while, Audacity gallops out of control, and I cannot stop the bar from traveling to the right. No sound, just a runaway horse, so to speak.

The ONLY thing that works is to hit "Escape," and then reopen the file, which then has numerous warnings about damage and such.

Is this a thing other people experience?
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Nedge wrote: January 6th, 2019, 10:04 am tovarisch, I did try doing a recording and looking at the waves. I can't seem to GET the clicks to happen. The wifi is activated while I do the test. The mic is placed on a rug on my desk. Truly a mystery.

Here is a small sample. It could be that there ARE no answers and that I have to keep trying things until I figure it out. But I thought I'd ask again anyhow.

https://librivox.org/uploads/philchenevert/clicks.mp3 0.15 KB
Thank you for the sample. I am sure we together should be able to figure it out... The sound (I've amplified it to hear better) reminds me of some kind of mechanical action, like something snaps in the vicinity of the microphone; there is even a slight reverb (as if the mechanical oscillations continue while being dampened somehow, like a vibrating spring). I believe it is possible that the microphone itself does it. Can you remind us what microphone it is?
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 6th, 2019, 11:11 am
ToddHW wrote: Audacity will NOT recognize something plugged in AFTER Audacity is started. So you have to plug things in and then start Audacity. A nuisance when you are trying to solve problems...
I realize this. :) Unfourtunately, that's not it. Maybe it's a sign that I need a new mike. I have used this one for several years.
It takes two main subsystems to record - the mic and the computer. Can you try your mic on a different computer?
tovarisch
tovarisch

Post by tovarisch »

Nedge wrote: January 6th, 2019, 11:43 am It's the New Year, and so i'll ask about THIS problem with Audacity, too.

The recording is fine. (Click-filled, but fine.) But the playback to EDIT can be problematic. I save quite often because every once in a while, Audacity gallops out of control, and I cannot stop the bar from traveling to the right. No sound, just a runaway horse, so to speak.

The ONLY thing that works is to hit "Escape," and then reopen the file, which then has numerous warnings about damage and such.

Is this a thing other people experience?
I've never seen anything like you are describing here. Could it be your keyboard has a faulty key (or a few)? Is your mouse reliable?
tovarisch
Nedge

Post by Nedge »

The keyboard is fine and the clicking happens when I am NOT typing, or using the mouse, which is brand new. The clicking happened before Christmas when I got the mouse.

It is sporadic so I doubt that it can be the mic.

Sometimes, I go through four or five chapters with no trouble at all. It's a very strange thing. :)