COMPLETE Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs (1875 - 1950).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/tarzan-and-the-golden-lion-by-edgar-rice-burroughs/

Volunteers outside the USA: Edgar Rice Burroughs died in 1950. His work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years.
Tarzan's amazing ability to establish kinship with some of the most dangerous animals in the jungle serves him well in this exciting story of his adventures with the Golden Lion, Jad-bal-ja, when the great and lordly animal becomes his ally and protector.
Tarzan learns from the High Priestess, La, of a country north of Opar which is held in dread by the Oparians. It is peopled by a strange race of gorilla-men with the intelligence of humans and the strength of gorillas. From time to time they attack Opar, carrying off priosoners for use as slaves in the jewel-studded Temple where they worship a great black-maned lion.
Accompanied by the faithful Jad-bal-ja, Tarzan invades the dread country in an attempt to win freedom for the hundreds of people held in slavery there... ( Edgar Rice Burroughs)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=njp.32101013277098;view=1up;seq=19
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Tarzan and the Golden Lion. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Tarzan and the Golden Lion by Edgar Rice Burroughs. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Tarzan and the Golden Lion, by Edgar Rice Burroughs."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename tarzanandthegoldenlion_##_burroughs_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tarzanandthegoldenlion_01_burroughs_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by jaherring on April 4th, 2019, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Please, PLEASE, before embarking on a solo, do two things:

(1) We do STRONGLY encourage a one-minute test (LINK) to check your technical settings. It's not an audition, but to make sure you're exporting at the correct bit rate, have your recording in mono, etc. It would be a shame to record a whole section, only to have to scrap it and redo it because of some simple setting that is incorrect.

(2) Claim, record, and get OK'd at least one section in a group project. This is to make sure you know what you're getting into. Recording a whole book isn't as easy as it seems. It isn't simply sitting down and recording. There's editing to do - and that often can take up to 5 times as long as recording does. In my experience, a ballpark estimate of 95% of brand new readers who start with a solo end up quitting before finishing. Please test the waters first before jumping in. :) Not only that, you're basically alone in a solo: you are the coordinator, and unless you have a very friendly DPL, you won't get much encouragement while doing your solo.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

Thank you for the input and I understand the hassle. I was surprised how long the editing can take but I plan to dedicate the time over the coming months to get this done. I really enjoy these books and I would love to contribute to the community that has given me so much (I have listened to probably 2 dozen books from here while traveling).

I have already performed the test strip there and also am saving the audacity files in the event I need to edit something down the road. I am relatively tech-savy so it isn't to tough to meet the guidelines when they tell you exactly how to do it :wink:
Elizabby

Post by Elizabby »

Just a quick FYI - if you don't post the link to your 1 minute test in the Listener's forum, nobody will know that it is there. The MC folders are just storage spaces, but there is no notification system when something is uploaded. You need to manually post a new topic called "One minute test" or something, then the first available listener in the forum will check it and give you the "OK" or tell you if you need to amplify more or change the bit rate or something. (Most common problems.)

You will need to go through this process to get a DPL for your project, most likely, as most DPLs (such as myself) are happy to listen to text but not all will also check technical aspects of your files. Personally, I only check volume - if the first file is all OK (mono, correct bit rate, etc) I don't then check everything else. I was looking at this project to potentially DPL for it, but I need to hear your 1 min test first.
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

I posted a link to the Listeners forum but if you wish to listen to it to give me the okay, it is below. Thank you for letting me know that though, I was unaware exactly how that part worked.

https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/test_joshuaherring.mp3
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Joshua, I've responded to your test here.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

Alright, I have been approved by TriciaG for recording. What is the next step in the journey here?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'll set this up for you.

As you're the soloist, you're in charge of updating the Magic Window.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here: Instructions for Soloists

Video showing how to use the Magic Window (read the above document first - it has the information on how to log in for the first time, which this does not have):
Magic Windows / Section Compiler: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOP4tcr1kl8

I'll enter the first two chapters for you as an example. You can fill in the rest.

When you upload a chapter, put the file duration (mm:ss) in the Notes field and the uploaded URL into the Listen URL field, and mark it from Assigned to Ready for PL.
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

Posted the first chapter, I believe my settings got messed up a little but if it still needs work I kept the audacity file as well.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I ran the file through Checker quick. Yes, your volume is way too low; it's at 75 dB, so it needs to come up about 14 dB.

I don't have time to PL the file itself. :)

Moving this to Going Solo. If we don't get a DPL soon, we can advertise for one over in Listeners & Editors Wanted. In the meantime, you can fix your volume and keep uploading files. :)
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

I downloaded the checker so hopefully no more pre-mature uploads. Thank you for bringing it up, I had forgotten about it. Re-uploaded the (hopefully) corrected file
jaherring

Post by jaherring »

Second chapter uploaded and placed in the magic window. Still awaiting a PL for the first chapter as well.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've posted a "listener wanted" ad over in the Listeners & Editors Wanted forum. That will give you a little more exposure. :)
softstepgd

Post by softstepgd »

Good day,

I would like to volunteer for a PL. I can listen to the first 2 chapters.

Take care

Leselle
You will know when you get there... :) :thumbs:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great to have you, softstepgd!

I'll get you set up with access to the Magic Window in the next 10 minutes or so.

Detailed Instructions for accessing the Magic Window can be found in the document linked here:
Instructions for BCs and DPLs

The vast majority of the info at that link is for a BC, not a DPL, so don't get overwhelmed with it. :)

When you listen to a chapter, change the status of the chapter as needed - to either PL OK, or See PL Notes. Post your PL notes in this thread.

Here's another wiki page you my be interested in: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=ProofListening_tips_and_quiz

Holler if you have questions! We're here to help. :)