[COMPLETE] The World’s Famous Orations, Vol. V: Great Britain III -ck/tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Great, thank you!

One little thing, how long is the recording (mm.ss)? Please remember to always post the duration of a recording when you post a link so that i can update the magic window :) thank you!
Carolin
Wapritch

Post by Wapritch »

Thanks Carolin. The time for section 9 is 20.01. I realized, after the fact, that I uploaded the wrong version. The final minute or so has some unfortunate background music (my wife started playing the piano while I was recording. Also it does not have the required 5 second pause at the end.). Please let me know if you'd like me to repost an updated version.

I'd also like to claim section 7, please.

Thank you,

W Al Pritchard
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :thumbs:

Lets pl your section first, then in case there are other notes, you can do them all in one go and dont have to revisit the recording more than once :thumbs:

It is odd how you get so used to some sounds that you arent even really aware of them until your microphone picks them up :)
Carolin
PeterBlock

Post by PeterBlock »

Carolin,

May I claim Section 12, "On the Benefits of Reading"?

Peter
The Story of a Movie is a "making-of" featurette for your ears.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you :D
Carolin
maddiefrommelb

Post by maddiefrommelb »

Hi Carolin,

I’m a first timer, grateful for these interesting yet shorter pieces to contribute to. Can I sign for 6 and 13. If they go ok I’d also like to put my hand up for 19 but I will make sure it all works with 6 & 13 first.

Regards

M
PeterBlock

Post by PeterBlock »

Carolin,

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place in the forums. I have a few editorial questions pertaining to Section 12.

1. Regarding footnotes, when do I read them? Where the number of the footnote appears in the text, or at the end, after the text? Within the text would be awkward and would render the sentence pretty much unintelligible because of the lengthy interruption. I think it makes more sense to read Note 1 in my section after title and author and before the start of the text.

2. Do I read the bio that appears after the title and author and before the text?

3. In the first footnote in my section there is the phrase "Messrs. William Blackwood & Son." How is "Messrs" pronounced--the French way, "messeurs," or the American way, "misters"?

4. Do you think I could eliminate Note 2? I don't think it's needed.

Thank you.

Peter
PeterBlock

Post by PeterBlock »

Carolin,

I'd also like to claim Section 2.

Peter
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you peter! to answer your questions:

1. that depends :) most footnotes are best read at the end of the sentence. sometimes the footnote is short, and can be inserted right where it appears. sometimes it has to be inserted right where it appears, like when it is a translation of a latin term. i agree with your placing footnote 1 after the title and author.

2. yes please!

3. haha that depends. both are ok i think, so you can choose the one you are most comfortable with.

4. yes you can. i put the option to omit footnotes in the first post too, especially because of footnotes referring to source texts which are interesting as such but not suitable for an audio recording.

thank you!
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

maddiefrommelb wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 2:27 am Hi Carolin,

I’m a first timer, grateful for these interesting yet shorter pieces to contribute to. Can I sign for 6 and 13. If they go ok I’d also like to put my hand up for 19 but I will make sure it all works with 6 & 13 first.

Regards

M
hi and welcome to librivox! you are welcome to participate in this project. as this is your first claim, i will add you to the reader database. to be able to sign you up, i need to know under which name or pseudonym you would like to appear int he catalog. we can also link to your personal website or blog.

please also complete the one minute test before getting started :) thank you!
Carolin
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

I'd be glad to DPL this project if you need me.

aniroo
aniroo :wink:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thats so great, thank you so much :D
Carolin
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Carolin wrote: January 4th, 2019, 12:21 am Thats so great, thank you so much :D

I notice that there is a section ready to PL, but I'm not in the MW yet.
Thanks,
aniroo
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Ah sorry, my internet connection is a bit flaky at the moment so things sometimes dont save property. It should be fine now :D thank you!
Carolin
aniroo

Post by aniroo »

Wapritch wrote: December 30th, 2018, 4:54 pm Here is section 9. Charles Haddon Spurgeon. Men made rich by the poverty of Christ.

https://librivox.org/uploads/carolin/orations5_9_various_128kb.mp3

Thank you. Any feedback is much appreciated.
Section #9 was very inspiring,beautifully read and almost ready to go. At the beginning it says no more than .5 - 1 second of silence and you have more than 1 second, so if you could delete a little silence, that would be good. Also the minimum volume is is 86dBs and yours is only 84.1, so if you could amplify it just a little, that would make this section ready to OK.

Thanks,
aniroo