COMPLETE: War and Peace I, by Leo Tolstoy - AF/ry

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
nomenphile

Post by nomenphile »

As I suggested this book, I feel I ought to contribute to it. Here is my recording of chapter 3:
(see below)
Last edited by nomenphile on February 22nd, 2006, 10:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello nomenphile,

what a pleasent surprise, thank you for your recording. Only 366 chapters left :D
I'll download the file tomorrow!
And you are always encouraged to record some other chapters.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
gToon

Post by gToon »

I would like to sign up for Chapter 9. I will follow the guidelines suggested.

Personally, the Maude translation is my favorite. It is one I have read aloud from over the years and it stands up well. Thanks for putting this project up for the community.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello gtoon,

thanks for contributing, you can certainly record chapter 9. I don't know if you already recorded another chapter. The guidelines are nearly the same. I just advised to add the abbreviated librivox disclaimer (except the first chapter in each part), because if someone has to hear the whole disclaimer 367 times (once we finished the project) he is a candidate for the madhouse. :wink:

Rainer
nomenphile

Post by nomenphile »

I put the wrong file on You Send It. Here is the link for the right one:
http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2SE2ATT4E69L51EL1VKSOLJAQU
(Ch. 3)
gToon

Post by gToon »

No, I haven't recorded another chapter. Just working on Ch. 9, although I'll probably contribute a chapter to each book.

I want to suggest that you post a pronounciation guide for the main characters and locations. This would keep the sound of these names and places consistent from reader to reader. I think it might be hard on the listener to have different pronounciations of Bezukov, for example, throughout the book.
raynr

Post by raynr »

@ nomenphile
Thank's for the update. I hadn't the time (or better: the connection) to download the last file yet, therefore I just take the last file. How do you want to appear in the catalogue?

@gtoon
Yes I already thought about that. Generally, we don't mind if names are pronounced differently. But in "War and Peace" there are more than 100 characters and you could get confused if the names are spoken too differently. I will make a list of the main characters and ask Irina to record them. She is Russian and will pronounce them correctly.
ahab

Post by ahab »

Rainer, I have posted my recording of Chapter 2 on YouSendIt at the following address:

http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1VFHIA062YQRL35B6QX8WPV7SM

I'm a bit concerned about the quality, first because I may have spoken a bit too quickly on it, and second because of mic noise, which I had a hard time getting rid of (though I did try). If the quality isn't acceptable, let me know and I will be happy to have another go at it. If it is acceptable, I can sign up for additional chapters.

Best wishes,

Stewart
gToon

Post by gToon »

Yes I already thought about that. Generally, we don't mind if names are pronounced differently. But in "War and Peace" there are more than 100 characters and you could get confused if the names are spoken too differently. I will make a list of the main characters and ask Irina to record them. She is Russian and will pronounce them correctly.
Excellent. I'll hold off on my reading until I am able to review her pronounciations. I'm looking forward to this project. This novel has
been a favorite of mine for a long time.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Stewart,

if you think that recording is at the edge of being bearable, I would really like to hear a recording from you that you classify as acceptable. :shock:

Seriously, I downloaded the file and listened into it a little bit. This is *really* an excellent recording. There is nearly no background noise at all. For less background noise you needed a professional sound studio. And your reading is also very good. You have a nice voice, a lively reading and your speed is perfect. I know, one is always critical with his own works, but keep on recording like that. I hope we will hear many contributions from you in future.

Thanks for your file, and I will sign you up for all the remaining chapters if you wish.

Rainer
nomenphile

Post by nomenphile »

I would like to appear as Nomenphile. Thanks.
ahab

Post by ahab »

Rainer: Thanks for the positive (and very quick) feedback. Since it seems like I'm on the right track, I'll do chapters 6 and 7.

Best wishes,

Stewart
raynr

Post by raynr »

Yes, you are, definitely.
You really gave me a (positive) surprise. After reading your post, I first thought we had to solve some tech problems with your recording and that I could perhaps give you advice for your reading. But when I listened to the file - clear recording and perfect reading. :D

Your're signed up for chapters 6 & 7.

Thanks,
Rainer
nomenphile

Post by nomenphile »

I can record chapters 4 and 5. I'll see how those go before taking on more, but it is likely that I will be able to do some others also.
Nomenphile
a.k.a. "The Hungry Ear"
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello nomenphile,

4 and 5 are yours. And I saw your answer in the welcome thread. It takes me a lot of time for editing, too. You wouldn't want to see my unedited recording :wink:
Thank you,

Rainer
Last edited by raynr on February 18th, 2006, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.