COMPLETE: Fires and Fire-fighters by John KENLON - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Fires and Fire-Fighters by John Kenlon (1861 - 1940).

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/fires-and-fire-fighters-by-john-kenlon/

John Kenlon became a New York City firefighter in 1887, and was appointed Fire Chief in 1911. In 1913, he wrote this authoritative book surveying the history of fire-fighting from ancient Rome to 20th-century New York. The first part of the book explores the evolution of fire-fighting techniques in various countries and the development of equipment and organization, and describes several famous historical fires and how they were fought. The remainder of the book discusses in greater detail some particular types of fires confronting an urban fire department in 1913, such as hotel, theater, factory, hospital, and school fires, sea port fires, and skyscraper fires. The author also emphasizes the need for high pressure water delivery systems, sprinkler systems, modern apparatus, and proper training for firefighters, and touches on the role of underwriters and salvage corps. ( Maria Kasper)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=mdp.39015020609726;view=2up;seq=10
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Technology & Engineering

Keywords that describe the book: new york city, fires, firefighters, firefighting, fire history

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Fires and Fire-Fighters. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • Say: "Fires and Fire-Fighters, by John Kenlon. [Chapter title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Fires and Fire-Fighters by John Kenlon. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • Say: "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • "Recording by [your name]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Fires and Fire-Fighters, by John Kenlon. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename firesandfirefighters_##_kenlon_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. firesandfirefighters_01_kenlon_128kb.mp3)
  • ID3 Tags are not necessary, as they will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

The author, John Kenlon, is not listed in the LibriVox catalog, and I couldn't find a Wikipedia page for him. But here is the information about him from Find a Grave, including his birth and death dates: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/88460780/john-kenlon

There are 25 chapters in this book, so I have initially requested 25 sections. I think some chapters might turn out to be long enough to need more than one section, but I figured that extra sections could be added as needed. I will say "section #" in my Intros, not "chapter #", so it will be easier to keep it all straight if I need to divide chapters later.

I'm reading this one for my guy Brian, who is a former firefighter and specially requested this project. This one's for you, Brian! Looking forward to reading it!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Maria. I will MC this for you. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Thank you, Jo! Pleased to meet you! I look forward to working with you, one of the legendary founding members!

EDITED TO ADD: I've put the chapter titles in the MW. Now we just wait for a PL-er!
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

John Kenlon is my great-great-grandfather!

Is this a Librivox first, that someone recognises an author as a blood relative?
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

That's very cool, klaatu! In answer to your question, you are not the first Librivoxer to be related to an author in our catalog. :)
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

commonsparrow3 wrote: January 1st, 2019, 7:34 pm Thank you, Jo! Pleased to meet you! I look forward to working with you, one of the legendary founding members!
Thanks. I'm not actually a founding member though, unless you count the current iteration of the workflow software. :wink:
Jo
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

klaatu wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 4:18 pm John Kenlon is my great-great-grandfather!
Is this a Librivox first, that someone recognises an author as a blood relative?
That is very cool, Seth! To be able to connect with a long-gone relative through his own writings strikes me as a great way to bring the past to life!
We're still in need of a DPL for this project. Would you possibly be interested in proof-listening your ancestor's book?
knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 5:15 pm Thanks. I'm not actually a founding member though, unless you count the current iteration of the workflow software. :wink:
Anyone who was here in those first couple of adventurous years is one of the founding generation, in the eyes of us newcomers!
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

I'm up for DPL. It's a job role I've not yet performed on Librivox, but I reckon I can learn.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

klaatu wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 7:16 pm I'm up for DPL. It's a job role I've not yet performed on Librivox, but I reckon I can learn.
Thank you, Seth!
PL'ing is easy to learn. For this project, only standard level PL is needed, so you don't need to read along with the text as you would if it were a word-perfect PL.
Basically, this is what you're listening for:
1. Did I read the correct intro and outro? I've sometimes been known to read the wrong section number. :oops:
2. Are there any "missed edits"? When I stumble and re-read a passage, I should have caught these repeats and removed them in editing, but sometimes I miss one and it stays in. Tell me if you hear any.
3. Are there any unusually long pauses? If I stopped reading to turn a page or take a sip of water, these pauses should have been removed in editing. Tell me if I missed any.
4. Are there any distracting noises, thumps, clicks, or suchlike things that I neglected to remove? Don't worry about minor mouth-clicks, but do tell me if there are any unusual and noticeable noises. Or if the level of background noise is annoying.

If you find anything that needs fixing, post a note of what you found, along with the time in the recording where it occurred.
Example: The words The general principles to be observed are repeated twice from 3:46 - 3:53

If you find nothing that needs fixing, post a note that says, "Section 1 is PL OK"

There's a thread here with a lot more information about Proof Listening, if you want greater detail:
viewtopic.php?p=318667#p318667

Our MC Jo will help you get access to the Magic Window as DPL. You'll be able to change the status of each section from "Awaiting PL" to "See PL Notes" or "PL OK"

And that's pretty much it! Easy job -- and you'll be the very first person to listen to this book!
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Seth,

I've added you as DPL. Since this will be your first project as DPL, in addition to reviewing the info that Maria posted for you above, you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system (which is separate from the forum) so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

I've linked the full instructions for BCs and DPLs for your reference below, but the relevant part for you as DPL is the following:
F. Changing the status of a section NEW!
This is a new feature which eliminates the need to type “PL Needed” and “PL OK” etc in the Notes field. This information will now show in the last column of the new MW.

To change the status of a section, click in the status column.

Use the down arrow to expand the list and then click on the appropriate status.

[Alternate method: Click once to expand the list, then type the first letter of the status (i.e., P for PL OK) and hit enter to save.]

How to use the new status designations:

Open - no reader assigned
Assigned – section assigned to a reader
Ready for PL – file uploaded by the reader and ready for prooflistening
See PL Notes – prooflistener has listened to the file and posted edits for the reader
Ready for spot PL – The reader has made the requested edits and the file is ready for the prooflistener to spot check
PL OK – file is ready to catalog

Note: The section compiler rows will not change color. When you go back to the forum, Open sections will appear blue in the Magic Window and PL OK will be green. All other in progress status (assigned, ready for PL, see PL notes, and ready for spot PL) will be grey, but different color fonts will highlight ready for PL/ready for spot PL vs. see PL notes.
Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

Let us know if you have questions or any problems getting into the workflow system. :)
Jo
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

Here I am, finally getting underway with Section 1 - (length 14:06)
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/firesandfirefighters_01_kenlon_128kb.mp3

Section 2 is coming soon!
klaatu

Post by klaatu »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 3:31 pm Seth,

I've added you as DPL. Since this will be your first project as DPL, in addition to reviewing the info that Maria posted for you above, you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system (which is separate from the forum) so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.
Great, thanks. I'll look over the instructions today.
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

klaatu

Post by klaatu »

I've logged into the workflow interface, and I see a list of my active projects, and I can access the Magic Window for my upcoming Tarzan book, but "Fires and Fire-fighers" is not listed.

I tried searching for it by reader name, which took me to commonsparrow3's user page.

Am I missing a step?