COMPLETE: Short Nonfiction Collection, Vol. 062 - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Kalamareader wrote: December 31st, 2018, 9:54 pm Rats!! I just finished one, and found that in the couple of days it took, the 'book' filled up.

Could someone listen to this, and tell me if there is anywhere else on LV this might fit. I would hate to have to 'trash' it after all the work I did. :(

LV link: https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf062_negroessay_othello_wc_128kb.mp3

Gutenterg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13642/13642-h/13642-h.htm#a1-5

The LV link is uploaded.

Thanks. I also have a couple of others that sounded interesting, of the non-fiction genre. Any ideas?

Wayne
Hello Wayne,

LibriVox is a group of volunteers. The Nonfiction Collection is a ongoing part of LibriVox. You can see the full list of the volumes of the Nonfiction Collectiion here: https://librivox.org/group/569?primary_key=569&search_category=group&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Currently there are three volunteers who who work together to pull together the Nonfiction Collection. Our Metacoordinator, knotyouraveragejo (jo), who does the cataloging and who started the collection in 2007, our Dedicated Proof Listener Soupy (Craig), and myself, the Book Coordinator. I have been coordinating the Nonfiction Collection since volume 28, about 5 years now.

Each collection can contain between 15 and 20 selections. I am the one who decides how many selections are in each volume. I generally start with 15 "slots" and add "slots" beyond that if needed. When a collection is "full," I will announce the fact that it is closed, and in cooperation with Jo, I will open another collection.

I have added your selection to the current volume as #16. Would you please tell us the following information about your selection: title, author, timing. Thank you.
Last edited by Sue Anderson on January 1st, 2019, 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Grothmann wrote: December 31st, 2018, 10:17 pm Hi Wayne:

I am NOT Librivox. I am just someone who reads stuff for them. But my experience is that there will be another Non-Fiction collection starting as soon as this one is finished. (Someone has to catalogue it and make it ready for people to download.) Check back in about a week. I have another one for that collection too.

Good Luck
Dale G.
Hi Dale, Thank you for helping Wayne out. LibriVox is its volunteers, so you "are" LibriVox! :) I'm glad you have more selections to contribute to the Nonfiction Collection, but, please, hold these contributions for volume 63. There is an official limit of 3 selections per person per collection (mentioned in paragraph #2 of my description of the collection). I let you slide a fourth into volume 62 but I try to make each volume a true collection of different people's readings.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

VOLUME 62 IS NOW FULL. Many thanks to all who contributed to this volume! :) A hearty welcome to 2019 from the volunteer staff of the Nonfiction Collection, our Metacoordinator (MC) knotyouraveragejo (Jo), our Dedicated Proof Listener (DPL) Soupy (Craig), and myself, the Book Coordinator (BC), Sue Anderson.

Acting as Book Coordinator, I have opened volume 63. It will first appear in the "New Projects Thread." Once you see Volume 63 listed there, you are free to send up your recordings and post the required information about those recordings. Volume 63 will stay in the New Projects Thread until Jo has time to enter it in the system and create a Magic Window (MW). After that, she will transfer the volume to a different thread, the "Readers Wanted, Short Works (Poetry and Prose)" thread. From there on in, I will take over as Book Coordinator.

My best wishes to all for 2019,
Your Book Coordinator,
soupy

Post by soupy »

Thanks for the reading from that important book Wayne :thumbs: A ncie reminder for the the new year.

A few errors noted.

12:28 On all occasions impartiality in the distribution of justice should be observed. – you read should be reserved

14:11 It would not be difficult to show, were it necessary, that America would soon become a richer and more happy country, provided the step was adopted. That corrosive anguish of persevering in anything improper, which now embitters the enjoyments of life, would vanish as the mist of a foggy morn doth before the rising sun; and we should find as great a disparity between our present situation, and that which would succeed to it, as subsists between a cloudy winter, and a radiant spring.-

Forgot to read : That corrosive anguish of persevering in anything improper, which now embitters the enjoyments of life, would vanish as the mist of a foggy morn doth before the rising sun;

Craig
The world needs some positive fanaticism.

My Website
Age of Enlightenment
Kierkegaard on Christianity
Kierkegaards Challenge
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

A few comments about authorship of the "Essay on Negro Slavery, No. 1," from the Journal of Negro History, 1916. This essay, and a subsequent essay, No. 2, are attributed to "Othello."

One of my responsibilities as book coordinator of the Nonfiction Collection is to provide an internet search-able, biographical reference for any author new to the LibriVox catalog. In this case, "Othello" (not Shakespeare's Othello) is the stated author. And here is the path I took to find out, if I possibly could, biographical information about this Othello.

The two essays, (or perhaps speeches) which were reprinted in the Journal of Negro History, were originally printed in 1788 in a journal called The American Museum or Universal Magazine, Volume IV, a copy of which can be accessed here: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=osu.32435073185555;view=1up;seq=521. What leads me toward the idea that they were speeches is that essay No. 1 is credited to "Othello, Baltimore, May 10, 1788" and the other to "Othello, Maryland, May 23, 1788." In the Museum Journal, the two essays are embedded in a series of letters between a London abolitionist society headed by Granville Sharp ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granville_Sharp ), a corresponding abolitionist society in France, and the Pennsylvania Society for the Abolition of Slavery.

The footnotes to the article in the Journal of Negro History state that "Othello" was a Black, citing Abbé Gregoire's De la litterature des Nègres ( https://archive.org/details/delalittratured00greggoog/page/n236 ). Abbé Gregoire states in his book, written in French, that a person named "Othello" published, in 1788, in Baltimore, a book entitled Essai contre l'esclavage des Nègres. This book would appear to be a French translation of a book by Ottobah Cugoano: Thoughts and Sentiments on the Evil and wicked Traffic of the Slavery and Commerce of the Human Species, printed in London in 1787. Ottobah Cugoano was a Black anti-slavery activist in Great Britain and friend of Granville Sharp. Ottobah Cugoano's book was translated from English into French in 1788 by Antoine Diannyère and published in Paris in that year. ( https://www.cairn.info/revue-etudes-theologiques-et-religieuses-2010-1-page-1.htm#no6). Perhaps Abbé Gregoire confused "Othello" and "Ottobah Cugoano" in his attribution of authorship of the Philadelphia printing.

Here another Black anti-slavery activist enters the picture: Olaudah Equiano. Equiano was also active in the British abolitionist movement in the 1780's and collaborated both with Ottobah Cugoano and Granville Sharp. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olaudah_Equiano). According to Wikipedia, Olaudah Equiano visited Philadelphia in 1785 and New York in 1786. I am lead to ponder if Equiano might have given the speeches attributed to "Othello" in 1788? Equiano published an autobiography, The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano in 1789.

There is a tremendous amount of current scholarship devoted to Cugoano and to Equiano. My brief dip into this scholarship did not give me an answer as to who "Othello" was. I will say, however, that the early anti-slavery movement itself and the journal "The American Museum or Universal Magazine" has fascinating possibilities for Short Nonfiction Collection reads.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Availle wrote: December 30th, 2018, 6:04 am Hi Sue,

one more to finish this off for the old year!

"Nikola Tesla the Man"
by Hugo Gernsback

from Electrical Experimenter Feb. 1919 (page 19)
Hi Ava, While I was entering the data for Tesla, I came across this absolute gem on page 702 of the February 1919 issue of the Electrical Experimenter: "Women Now Trained as Meter Readers." The article opens thus:
"Can women read electric meters satisfactorily? They can."

If you don't want to read this one, I will! :mrgreen:
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

PM to Kalamareader with copies of Soupy's and my posts.
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

VOLUME 62 IS CLOSED.

VOLUME 63 IS OPEN: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=73089&e
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Craig,

I can't believe I missed those as I PLed it myself. Anyway, here it is again, with the corrections you noted:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf062_negroessay_othello_wc_128kb.mp3

Gutenberg reference: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13642/13642-h/13642-h.htm#a1-5

Time 16.01.

Sue,

Sorry it took so long to reply, but we have been baby sitting 12 of our Grandkids as their mom was home recovering from giving birth to number 13. Kind of crazy around our house, and hard to find a place quiet enough to record. Anyway, I hope this 'passes muster', and you can get on with setting this collection up for 'publication'.

Thanks to both of you for your help and patience.

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Well, I guess I' not done yet. I wrote the above email before uploading my new file with the corrections. Well, trying to upload it, it almost finished and gave me this error message: "Error SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data" I am using the same file (exactly) as I used for the 'incorrect' file I uploaded before. Any ideas what on earth is happening?

Wayne
Wayne
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Kalamareader wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 11:27 pm Well, I guess I' not done yet. I wrote the above email before uploading my new file with the corrections. Well, trying to upload it, it almost finished and gave me this error message: "Error SyntaxError: JSON.parse: unexpected character at line 1 column 1 of the JSON data" I am using the same file (exactly) as I used for the 'incorrect' file I uploaded before. Any ideas what on earth is happening?

Wayne
Thank you for sending up your file. I personally am not a computer "geek" and so, sadly, do not have a quick answer for your question. The one thing I do note, however, is that upon listening to the file you posted as the "corrected" file, it does not contain the corrections. I would, therefore, suggest you double check your corrected file, the one which you downloaded from Audacity to your computer, to be sure it overwrote the original, that it contains the corrections and that it does not have any small variations in the file name like "mp3" written twice or a number like "(1)" added.

I would suggest uploading your corrected file once more--making absolutely sure that the file you are uploading has exactly the same name as your original file. If that works, great. If not, I will move your recording over to volume 63, so you are not rushed for time. You can post about your computer problem in the "listeners wanted" thread and usually somebody has an answer. Or Jo, our metacoordinator, can help.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

There is only one version of Kalamareader's file that was uploaded on Dec 31st, so the edited file upload did not go through.

The JSON error might simply mean that you were logged out of the uploader for some reason. Please try uploading your corrected file again and see if it goes through on a second try. :)
Jo
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

Thank you for your help, Jo! :)
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Jo,
Your suggestion was right on. I reaccessed it, and it went through like a charm.

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/snf062_negroessay_othello_wc_128kb.mp3

Sue,

Your information on the true author of the essay was VERY interesting. That must have taken quite a bit of work and time. Thanks.

I have "Essay 2" from "Othello". What would you like me to do for the 'author' information?
Thanks for your patience.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Sue, after rereading your information on the author of the "Essay", if it is Olaudah Equiano, I guess it would be accurate in describing him as a "free Negro". I will do what ever you want me to do in this case (of course).

Wayne
Wayne