[COMPLETE] The Tomb of Tut Ankh Amen by Howard Carter - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The Tomb of Tut Ankh Amen by Howard Carter (1874 - 1939).

This project is now complete. All files can be downloaded from the catalog page:
https://librivox.org/the-tomb-of-tut-ankh-amen-vol-1-by-howard-carter/

On 26 November 1922, after eight years of work in the Valley of the Kings, archeologist Howard Carter discovered the tomb of Tut Ankh Amun, a pharaoh of the 18th dynasty (around 1300 BCE). Different than all the tombs hitherto excavated, this was the first to be (virtually) undisturbed, and Carters words on a first look into the tomb "Yes, wonderful things!" have gone down in history. <br>Excavating the tomb in full took eight years, and most of the 5,398 items that were found in the tomb are now on display in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, with the exception of the mummy of Tut Ankh Amun, that remained in the tomb where it was laid to rest. <br>This first volume of Howard Carter's memoirs (written in late 1923) recounts the finding and opening of the tomb of Tut Ankh Amun, the clearing of the Antechamber, and the opening of the sealed door leading to the main chamber. ( Availle)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/tomboftutankhame00cart_1 (for now: https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.77344/page/n19)
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Biography & Autobiography/Memoirs; *Non-fiction/History
    Keywords that describe the book: history, egypt, treasure, Pharaoh, gold, mummy, archeology, tomb, carter, carnarvon, Tutankhamun
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    [list][*]"Section [number] of The Tomb of Tut Ankh Amun. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    [*] If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]" [*] Say:
    "The Tomb of Tut Ankh Amun, by Howard Carter and A.C. Mace. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Section [number] of The Tomb of Tut Ankh Amun by Howard Carter. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Section [number]"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of The Tomb of Tut Ankh Amun, by Howard Carter and A.C. Mace. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename tomboftutankhamen_##_carter_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. tomboftutankhamen_01_carter_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: Availle
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Happy New Year!
Happy PD-Day 2019! :mrgreen:

This book was published in late 1923, giving the first account (of three) of the finding and excavating of the tomb of Tut Ankh Amen through Howard Carter.

DPL wanted. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I'd like to PL.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Great choice of a book! Really great choice! Will await the completion of this with impatience! Good luck recording!
Kristine
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I've got one on my book suggestions list on this topic - not a firsthand account, though. ;)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you all for your kind words!
Piotr, you're in as DPL, thanks!

Oh my, barely started and already pressure to finish, thanks (?) Kristine! :wink: The book is still not available on archive, I'll give them a few days to stort stuff out before I start complaining. There is also an edition over at Hathitrust, and maybe gutenberg has something as well?

I saw your list Tricia, some other interesting books on there as well! I was looking for a book or essay or something on hieroglyphics to accompany this one, preferably one written by Champollion himself. I couldn't find anything in English though, so if you're still into sleuthing... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kikisaulite
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kikisaulite »

Availle wrote: January 1st, 2019, 3:17 pm

Oh my, barely started and already pressure to finish, thanks (?) Kristine! :wink:
Only the very mildest and encouraging pressure imaginable is intended. :D :D But I could not help myself, after all this is an account on THE find by THE man himself!

Tricias list has some very interesting titles as well, must agree to that.... two works on Shackletons expedition are alone worth quite something.
Keep your mind here and now, where it belongs.
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Darn it! Ava beat me to it! :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thank you very much! :mrgreen:

The first version is still not viewable on archive, and hathitrust claims its under copyright. So I'll wait over the weekend perhaps and see if something changes before I start complaining... :wink:

But for now, let's keep the launch pad tidy and move elsewhere.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
moniaqua

Post by moniaqua »

Darn it - how on earth could I miss that one?! :shock: It might be the second book I just load down for listening, when it is finished :lol:

Oh, you feel some pressure? Naaa. ;)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

moniaqua wrote: January 3rd, 2019, 7:57 am Oh, you feel some pressure? Naaa. ;)
I have no need for enemies... :roll:

Aand: I have just found out that the book is ready and accessible on archive, so off I go... filling in the Magic Window. :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Okay, the first two sections are up!

I'm afraid we both will have to sit through two more parts of "The great and exciting life of Lord Carnarvon" before we can dig into the meat of the book... :shock:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

So you are doing this after all :) I was beginning to think version 1 completed in January (?) discouraged you :) I wonder if The Tomb... beats the Prophet for the number of versions of a 1923 book :shock:

Anyway, PL begins now 8-)

EDIT: section 0 is PL OK :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Entirely different author, the one from January. :D And only 2 hours or so in total.

We'll get that here with the introduction alone - and that one doesn't even take place in Egypt... :roll:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

And another slice of life of Lord Carnarvon, in which he gets married, runs from an Elephant, threatens the Sultan, and has a car accident. And all of this in brown shoes and an atrocious hat.

:mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com