PD release party!

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I think that this year is more of an event than subsequent years will be, because it's the first time in a gazillion years (more or less) that anything has entered the PD in the USA. The faucet has been turned on after having been turned off for millennia (more or less). :lol:
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

It's not at all related to the moving boundary of US copyright, but I'm now allowed to read D'Arcy Thompson's "Of Growth and Form", which I read and enjoyed when I was at school. The author died in 1948, so in a few days I'll be okay to start reading!
Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
Timothy Ferguson

Post by Timothy Ferguson »

Peter, I just heard you last night, in the "Bone and Sickle" podcast, doing M.R. James's "Lost Hearts".

Could we bribe you to look at E.F. Benson's Visible and Invisible (1923 UK, United States 1924 - is that a problem?)

I came here to say I'd be interested in doing it myself, but I really loved your James work, and Benson was one of his students.

The contents are "And the dead Spoke...", "The Outcast", "Machon", "Negotium Perambulans...", "At the Farmhouse", " Inscrutable Decrees", "The Gardener", Mr Tilly's Seance", "Mrs Amworth", "In the Tube", "Roderick's Story", "The Horror Horn"

I only know two of these off the top of my head, one which involves a mad scientist using a gramaphone to hear the thoughts of the dead, and the other of which is about slug creatures that drain the life of the impious in a Cornish village.
My occasional blog is Games from Folktales
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm afraid that that Benson collection is out of my reach at the moment, Timothy. I'm okay as far as his date of birth is concerned, but LibriVox can generally only handle works published in the USA before 1923 until the end of this year, and before 1924 until the end of next. So that collection of stories can only be read the year after next, as it was published in the USA in 1924.

Thanks for the suggestion, though; I surely should have finished my current solo by then!

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

As a reminder to those who may have forgotten, with all the excitement of Christmas winding down:

There are only a few days left in the year! If you'd like to be included in this special podcast, please get your recordings in to me by tomorrow or the next day at latest!

A podcast is only as good as its contributors, and I'd love your input!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TriciaG wrote: December 27th, 2018, 3:54 pm I think that this year is more of an event than subsequent years will be, because it's the first time in a gazillion years (more or less) that anything has entered the PD in the USA. The faucet has been turned on after having been turned off for millennia (more or less). :lol:
Would you mind submitting a tiny clip to this effect? Or, if not, do I have your permission to read this post and include it in the podcast along with your name?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Everything is ready, over here: viewtopic.php?p=1538319#p1538319

Thanks so much for your help, Cori! Please have a listen, if you like, and let me know if you have any feedback for me. I hope I posted my notes and everything correctly.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

Thank you for taking this on devorah, im looking forward to listening when our house guests are gone :9:
Carolin