COMPLETE[PLAY]A Little Bit of Fluff by Walter W. Ellis - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Serendipity1 wrote: December 30th, 2018, 3:18 pm I can do stage directions for 1, 2, and 3.
Great. Thank you.

For stage directions, in addition to reading all the he said, she said, entrances, exits, directions to the actors such as"calmly", "whispered", "sobbed", etc, while leaving big gaps for me to eventually insert all the character parts into your file, there are a couple of other things.

First, you read the introduction and closing for each act. See the first posting in this project for the text to use when you do that.

Second, where a line starts with a stage direction action, such as "picking up the book", read the character name that goes with that action - so it might be "John, picking up the book"

Finally, you also read the cast list with "Who-ever-it-is read by ____" for each role. (Use the cast list in the script as well as any other characters you see in the MW - sometimes I have to add lines for other incidental voices.) The character readers are supposed to give me voice credits that will be like this and that will replace what you say, but it is very helpful for me to have this as I start to assemble the play. And if another reader messes up, I can use your reading. (Note, also include "Stage Directions read by (the catalog name you want to use" at the end of the cast list.

Thanks, and welcome.

Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

TroubleATM wrote: December 30th, 2018, 2:36 pm I was looking up this play to find more information about Ursula, and I couldn't find much except that she is Mr. Tully's maid. Any suggestions on where I can search?
You do not need to copy what a character was like in the original on-stage productions. Nor will I give precise direction on what you should sound like. You get to make up your own idea of the character, their backstory, their sound. I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in any part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different than I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

May I play Nixon Trippett please? Thanks!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: December 30th, 2018, 5:09 pm May I play Nixon Trippett please? Thanks!
Yes, you may.

Thanks, Todd
TroubleATM

Post by TroubleATM »

ToddHW wrote: December 30th, 2018, 3:38 pm
TroubleATM wrote: December 30th, 2018, 2:36 pm I was looking up this play to find more information about Ursula, and I couldn't find much except that she is Mr. Tully's maid. Any suggestions on where I can search?
You do not need to copy what a character was like in the original on-stage productions. Nor will I give precise direction on what you should sound like. You get to make up your own idea of the character, their backstory, their sound. I very honestly leave choice of accents and characterizations in any part up to the reader. One of the key pleasures of running a play here at Librivox is finding out what the various readers have decided is right. Usually some unexpected things, and always different than I had originally pictured the play on stage myself. So that the completed play is not my vision of what should be, but a truly new and exciting collaborative creation.

Thanks, Todd
Thank you so much for the feedback! This is very helpful 😊
Aleacia Messiah
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

how much space should i leave when there is 20 pages without my character?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

EmmaHatton wrote: December 31st, 2018, 4:56 pm how much space should i leave when there is 20 pages without my character?
5 - 10 seconds is fine, same as you should leave between your lines. When I go through your file to cut out your lines and transfer them to the master file, I'll be following along the script. I usually will have every character file open at the same time - Audacity lets me do that - and so until I see that it is you speaking again, I'll be working through pulling lines for other characters building the final recording.

Thanks, Todd
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

EmmaHatton wrote: January 1st, 2019, 10:46 am https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/ittlebitoffluff_[pamela]_[1]_128kb.mp3 Pamela act 1 is complete :D
Thank you.

By the way, the [ ] in the file name examples are intended to show you where you make changes to customize for your role and act (as you did) - but the [ ] should not be included. So your file name should have been (starting with an "l" you missed) "littlebitoffluff_pamela_1_128kb"

On dramatic works it does not matter much because I will be cutting your file apart when I make up the completed master - your file by itself never gets loaded into the catalog system. But I mention it because on books and short stories it does matter.

Thanks, Todd
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

I did not remember, so I thought better safe than sorry, thanks for the reminder
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Nice work, Emma! Very well done for your first dramatic role. You captured the rage and suspicion of a scorned wife! There are a few things you'll need to take care of. If you start at the end of the list and work your way backwards, the time stamps I've given you will not change and it'll be easier for you.

Your voice credit should include the entire character name and description, in this case, "Pamela, Mrs. John Ayers, read by..." (Ayers is pronounced "airs")
2:24 Two missed lines: "You missed your latchkey?" followed by "There’s a good deal of Tully about it. But if you lost your latch-key, how did you get in just now?"
2:49 The line here is "I have enough for both, so long as you do not work in the City." You switched two words, to become "...so as long you do not work in the city." The meaning here is still clear, but it sounds somewhat awkward to my ears. I will let Todd decide whether he wants this part corrected.
3:01 Missed line: "I’m quite aware it was agreed. But you keep borrowing on account. Even now you are two years ahead with your money."
4:11 The place name Kew should be pronounced Kyoo (just like the letter Q). We often don't worry about pronunciation, but this place is quite well known and recognizable, so I think it would be best to be correct here.
8:14 During the line "And after you left the opera?" I'm hearing what sounds like another voice behind yours. I don't think it's loud enough to bother re-recording this, but I mention it because these are the kinds of stray background noises you want to avoid if you can. So I just wanted to draw your attention to it for now.
9:48 "...one and eleven(11)-penny pearl necklace." I hear "elven-penny."
And since you're making these adjustments anyway, you may want to go ahead and correct the file name also, as Todd explained above.

Todd, I have one question here regarding pronunciation. I know that in your plays, you generally let people pronounce names however they like (and of course, we're given the pronunciation of Ayers in the text), but do you have a preference for Tully? There is at least one moment when one character echoes this name after another, which will be odd if they're saying it differently. Emma has chosen the pronunciation "too-lee," which is different from what I would have done (I'd have rhymed with sully), but I wasn't sure if you'd have a preference.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

mightyfelix wrote: January 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm Nice work, Emma! Very well done for your first dramatic role. You captured the rage and suspicion of a scorned wife! There are a few things you'll need to take care of. If you start at the end of the list and work your way backwards, the time stamps I've given you will not change and it'll be easier for you.

Your voice credit should include the entire character name and description, in this case, "Pamela, Mrs. John Ayers, read by..." (Ayers is pronounced "airs")
2:24 Two missed lines: "You missed your latchkey?" followed by "There’s a good deal of Tully about it. But if you lost your latch-key, how did you get in just now?"
2:49 The line here is "I have enough for both, so long as you do not work in the City." You switched two words, to become "...so as long you do not work in the city." The meaning here is still clear, but it sounds somewhat awkward to my ears. I will let Todd decide whether he wants this part corrected.
3:01 Missed line: "I’m quite aware it was agreed. But you keep borrowing on account. Even now you are two years ahead with your money."
4:11 The place name Kew should be pronounced Kyoo (just like the letter Q). We often don't worry about pronunciation, but this place is quite well known and recognizable, so I think it would be best to be correct here.
8:14 During the line "And after you left the opera?" I'm hearing what sounds like another voice behind yours. I don't think it's loud enough to bother re-recording this, but I mention it because these are the kinds of stray background noises you want to avoid if you can. So I just wanted to draw your attention to it for now.
9:48 "...one and eleven(11)-penny pearl necklace." I hear "elven-penny."
And since you're making these adjustments anyway, you may want to go ahead and correct the file name also, as Todd explained above.

Todd, I have one question here regarding pronunciation. I know that in your plays, you generally let people pronounce names however they like (and of course, we're given the pronunciation of Ayers in the text), but do you have a preference for Tully? There is at least one moment when one character echoes this name after another, which will be odd if they're saying it differently. Emma has chosen the pronunciation "too-lee," which is different from what I would have done (I'd have rhymed with sully), but I wasn't sure if you'd have a preference.
I don't think the errors at 2:49 or 9:48 are big issues under standard PL. Listeners might not be clear what is being said, but they won't get an entirely wrong idea that will confuse them about the plot of the play. (For example, the necklace will still be worth only a bit over a pound - the 11 cents won't change its value much - it is certainly not a hundred pound or thousand pound item....)

And different pronunciations, whether it be of Kew at 4:11 or Tully at 9:48, are not issues for me. Yes, please bring them up in your PL comments to help readers learn, but it does not bother me at all if people use different pronunciations and they should be PL OK. Might be a different accent, might be a cute childhood name for a friend, could be an American not speaking the Queen's english - not something that needs to be changed.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for the clarification.
EmmaHatton

Post by EmmaHatton »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/ittlebitoffluff_pamela_1_128kb.mp3 here is the fixes, thanks for your help. I work on act 2 as soon as I can! :D
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Very nice editing work, Emma. You matched the sound beautifully. :D And you got almost all of the required edits. There is one that you missed: your voice credit, at the very beginning.